Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need support . . badly!! Defect leak in My 30 month Vanguard

:help: :faint: :help: My 30 month old Vanguard system has a TOTAL leak in the location of band in the membrain but NO other issues like errosion or slipping. So for now on, it will not hold fuild. Duke Medical WLS Center in Durham, NC (same group that put on my lap-band) did the contrast radiology work today. I am in morning.

Anyway, I was told that I should seriously consider leaving it broken in place rather than removing OR replacing it. I don't understand this as I know I did not have the band slip or errode AND I am still 30 pounds from my goal weight. They say that statistically I am a sucess and should give myself credit . . . (read their stats are good here but my hope is gone). It took over 3 weeks to get an office appointment and another three working days for radiology. . . so in that month, I regained 9.5 lbs and back now to 181. I really loved my band and now it's gone. I can't believe it.

So here is my question please of everyone. Even if there is risk of removing it because it's "major surgery", why would I want to just leave it hanging around like old buried and abandoned underground cable? Why would Duke WLS Center not want to better support ME and go ahead and replace it ASAP? Is there more to the story? They said if when I come back on the 17th to talk to the Head guy (my new Surgeon) and he sees if hecan do it, the earlest is going to be after Christmas because they are so busy with already planned RNY scheduled patients.

Please what do you know or think about this matter!

Judybellyband: I totally concur with leatha g. You must be proactive! If you are commited to living with a band than you will have to be assertive. No one will look out for you if you don't! Meanwhile, diet your heart out! Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Thank you dear Leatha g. and Karey,

I just fired-off my message to Don Mills and copied Duke WLS Center. . . I am going to do just as you both said, diet, and keep praying my very favorite Bible verse....Deut. 31:8 "...do not be discouraged."

I'll keep you posted.

------------------------------------

FYI -This is what I said to Mr. Mills:

My 30 month old 10cc newer Vanguard system has a TOTAL leak in the location of the band's membrane but there are no other issues like erosion or slipping. It just will no longer hold Fluid. Duke Medical Radiology and the WLS Center in Durham, NC (same group that put on my lap-band) did the contrast radiology work today.

Anyway, I was told by their wonderful PA that I should seriously consider leaving it broken in place rather than removing OR replacing it because it's NOT that the Vanguard has caused band slip or erosion issues. It's just nicely sitting there empty. I am currently 29.2 BMI with 30 pounds from my goal 24BMI which is to have and maintain a normal weight = 18.5-24.9 BMI. Repeatedly at Duke WLS I have been told that statistically I am a WLS success and should give myself credit. Credit or not, I am still struggling to be at my normal weight. By example, it took over 3.5 weeks to get an office appointment after I felt the lack of restriction (happened all at once) and another three working days for radiology. . . so in that month, I regained 9.5 lbs back and now weigh 181.lbs. Ok, I now fully realize I have a problem and I am going to try VERY hard to stabilize, but I have always been very grateful for the good folks at Duke and my band and now it's just gone forever... I can't believe it? I am healthier than I have been for most of my life and this is the worst news. I am to come back to Duke WLS on November 17th to talk to my new Surgeon, who was not available today, and go from there.

So here is my question. Even if there is risk of removing it because it's "major surgery" and there are now adhesions around the piece parts, why would I want to just leave it hanging around like old broken buried and abandoned underground cable? Why would Duke WLS Center not want to go ahead and replace it ASAP to continue to help me on my weight-loss journey? Is there more to the "risk" story than I currently know? Am I missing something? IS there an issue at Inamed with replacing the band or with the procedures? I know I want another Lap-band but please what do you know or think about this matter! IS IT PROBABLE that a replacement CAN BE DONE AT THE SAME TIME when the broken Vanguard is removed? Does it take a different course to remove and replace than standard lap procedures? Is this a higher-risk surgery than the first one? Please any information would be most helpful and deeply appreciate.

PS: What is the Inamed Vanguard MTBF and warranty? ;o)

Sincerely,

Dear Leatha_g,

I sent the email above to Don Mills and within 5 minites . . . he called me back tonight. He is going to forward the information internally at Inamed and they are going to be following up. But Don had greater insight and supported your position that the replacement can most likly be done at the same time with no more or lesser risk than the first surgery. He thinks that their data shows that most leaks 30 moths out are at the port area and not the band membraine. He said there is a condition where encapsalation of the whole thing (port down to the band as a surrounded system) may present a leakage at the band even though the problem may be at the souce of the port. They can't tell till they go in. Bottom-line ... I now know I can replace something and get back into the lap-band journey. I am still not out of the woods, but maybe tonight I will be able to sleep for the first time in 6 nights.

Thank-you again.

Sincerely,

Judy

Wow! You were very proactice and it paid off! Congratulations! I guess it pays to go to the top! It would be wonderful if it is a port problem, much easier to fix. Please keep us posted. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Judy, I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I know exactly what it feels like.

Sept 26th 05 I had surgery. January 26th we found out I had a port and band leak! February 21st I had it all replace.

My Dr told me that it was a much riskier surgery. Scared the heck out of me! The reason why it is riskier is because of the scar tissue and the length of the surgery. It took about 2 1/5-3 hours. He went into the same incisions. I was much sorer and it took me a little longer to feel up to par again. I also got some kind of an allergic reaction which totally threw me for a loop!

It was very scary. I couldn't understand why God was having me go through this. He gave me clear straight direction to have the band in the first place so why was this happening? I'm still not sure, however I know that it's been in his hands from the first time I heard about the band and I had to just trust him and go forward..

I am feeling great and things are going very well. Please know that I am here for you. You can PM me and I'll give you my # if you want to talk anytime.

Please keep me posted. Hang in there it will be ok. Did Don ever give you an answer about the warrantee? I have not spoken to him. I sent him an email when I first found out he said to give him a call and I never did. I was so emotional about everything and my Dr is the only one in the area that does the band so I didn't want to burn any bridges. Maybe that was poor judgment on my behalf.

Big hugs....Dianne