Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm new and lost!

Hi I am new. I just started my new journey last November. I love reading all the topics I have learned a lot today. I don't have a surgery date yet. I went for my last appointment yesterday and now the bariatric group will discuss if I am a candidate or not. Then I will should get an appointment to meet the surgeon. My sisters are worried about the surgery . I told them to stop focusing on the surgery but on the fact that I am going to do a major change to improve my life. I find a lot of people that I have told are not supportive and then a lot are. I decided to stop talking about the surgery because of the negative responses. My husband is supportive but he doesn't talk about it . I was wondering if someone can give me an idea how long I should plan on being out of work after surgery. I pretty much have a desk job with walking around the plant (which I read makes you feel better). Also I have reflux will it get worse after surgery if I can control it now?

Welcome HJMc1963,

I think I had a very rough recovery, but was back to work after 9 days off - that includes 2 weekends. But I have read about people that were back to work after only 3 days. As long as you don't have to do a lot of bending over, squatting, or lifting over 10lbs, you will be back at work quicker than someone with a job that requires a lot of activity.

And yes, walking does make you feel better - it gets the gas to move out of your system. I didn't feel like walking the day after surgery, but it did make me feel better once I started moving.

I"m also taking the week of surgery off and have blocked off the following week. Although I'm committed to a conference call. I have a desk job and can work from home quite a bit. I'll probably start having some business trips about 4 weeks post-surgery.

As to telling people, I've only told a few people. Some had a similar initial reaction but then I explained all the pros/cons etc. After that I just told people that I'd hope they would be supportive but that I was doing this for me. One friend I know is leery but she's still supportive.

I am on day 9 right now and could easily go back to work now (shhhh don't tell anyone). If you have the time, take it for yourself though, i am using this time to get used to eating, advancing my diet (on full liquids until next Friday, then purée...yummy!) exercising and reading more about post surgery. Who knows how you will heal though, everyone is different.

If you have any stress at work this will be more difficult to go back....especially with reflux...it can get worse after surgery but meds usually do the trick and yes I would try to get it controlled now.

As far as people in my life, my family was against my surgery...partly because they know nothing about the surgery but your loved ones care about you and do not want to see anything happen to you...it was mainly their fear of something going wrong and fear of the unknown...I sent them to this site, showed them before and afters and talked to them about the surgery and it was a little easier for them to accept this "radical" thing I was about to do. Besides they did not know about all of the support and education classes you have to do, the nutrition visits, psychologist, cardiologist, medical tests, etc and that I was going through this journey for months. It wasn't a spur of the moment decision like they thought.

The other thing I heard was why can't I just do the "diet" and lose the weight that way..in other words restrict my food intake as if I had the surgery...I just tried to educate them on this "tool" including how hunger works and the hormone gherlin (?spelling) that is reduced following the surgery and if I was able to do it on my own, I would have!

Wow thanks for the replies. It's great to talk to people that have gone through it. It's funny that we all have the same story's when it comes to people reaction towards the surgery. If I could lose the weight with out surgery dont you think I would?.. They just don't understand

People who don't suffer with our issues with loosing weight definately don't get why we do this to ourselves. But as you know, most of us have tried many eating plans to no avail. Mostly I got support from people when I told them, a few raised eyebrows, and some said right out I was crazy.

Anyway in regards to your post every body is different. I had surgery on december 17th and was back to traveling for work in 3 weeks, and I felt fine. I carry a lot of bags and a computer. It was at first difficult to place the computer in the overhead bin, but it got easier over time.

Schlepping thru the airport used to make me winded, and I noticed I feel a lot more energized as I walk through it now. I can't wait to loose 20 more pounds, and it will even be easier. PLUS, no more need for a seat extender. glory days ahead.......

Best of luck to you. follow your doctor's orders and you will do fine.

When one of my friends brought up the 'can't you just try to one more time?' My reply was "yeah, that's worked really well for me over the past 9 years we've known each other." She actually stopped and thought about it then and has become very supportive.

I have only told a few select people, my surgery was on 01/21/2013 and I will tell you now the first 3 days you will not want to do anything, I dont want to scare you, walking definately helps, but only if you are able to sleep after ( the hospital I was in had a really rude patient who kept yelling throughout the night,) made me exhausted, then because of lack of sleep and a few other factors, I couldnt even keep the 2 oz of Water down. my doc knew exactly what it was and got everythng under control. I did have to spend an extra night in the hospital but was definately for the better, here I am day 5 post op, and I only have a little pain, I am meeting my fluid goals, and found out just how much I love sugar free butterscotch pudding...yum. I am still keeping the buzz about the surgery to a minimum, and cant wait to see some of my friends faces as I continue to lose the weight. Good luck with everything

The few that Ive told (including the husband) has been dead set against it. I find myself having to explain exactly what the procedure is and the benefits of it. I found that they were against it because they didnt know what it was or its purpose. Everyone thought it was an " easy way out". I am happy to say once my husband went with me to all the preop appts, he now understands and is 100% supportive and to me thats the only person that really matters.

I was telling a very good friend this morning and she started with her negativity and I said stop there, have you gone through the op have you spoken to a consultant or surgeon, have you researched it, which she had not so I said until you do please keep your negativity to yourself, She started to argue and this guy we both knew passed and said I looked great and said to my friend she should take my diet and do it, lol lol

Good luck..