Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico Sleevers - how is US post-op support?

For those who went to Mexico for whatever reason, what do you do in terms of post-op care here in the states? Did you have a supportive PCP?

It looks like the only procedure I can get in the states for my bmi is Lap-band and I just don't want it. No offense to Lap-banders at all, I just don't think I'd like it or get what I need from it.

Thanks, all!

I told my PCP when I got back. He said I was the only patient he had with the sleeve. I had a band before. He does blood work for vitamens every 6 months. I take supplements for B1, B12 and Vit D.

No problems at all.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have to have an annual swallow test (barium, endoscopy) to see how things are going or is that not really necessary unless there is some trouble.

I had no problems at all securing care, blood panels, prescriptions for Vitamins, etc. The real concern is if you have a serious complication post op. No doctor or ER is going to be permitted to refuse you care if there were a life-threatening emergency BUT your insurance could refuse to cover the complications. That said...I'd have to really search here to find a case where that happened. Maybe someone with that kind of experience will chime in.

My surgeon (Dr. Aceves) did my tests for me before I left, and the only reason I'd do another swallow would be if I had a complication and suspected a stricture or something.

Depending on your relationship with your PCP, you might want to disclose that you're having surgery before you do, but that's up to you. I go to military hospitals and clinics and count myself lucky if they can say my name properly. I wouldn't bother telling my doctor anything because they wouldn't remember and likely wouldn't even note it in my file. Hopefully you have better care than that. :)

~Cheri

This is just a little bit of what I've experienced with the sleeve. I've been to three er departments And spent 7 days in the hospital and two surgeries and not one single medical person I met knew what a sleeve gastrectomy was ... They either called me a bypass patient or a band patient... It was so frustrating.

Sorry I know that wasn't your question. But just thought I would share my experience.

This is just a little bit of what I've experienced with the sleeve. I've been to three er departments And spent 7 days in the hospital and two surgeries and not one single medical person I met knew what a sleeve gastrectomy was ... They either called me a bypass patient or a band patient... It was so frustrating.

Sorry I know that wasn't your question. But just thought I would share my experience.

Wow! That is kinda frustrating isn't it? How are we supposed to get the care we need if the healthcare professionals don't even know what it is?! As popular as this surgery has become, you would think they would be well educated on it.

I will be getting sleeved in Mexico 2/27

My PCP did not agree but he referred me to a bariatric surgeons that is with our practice have scheduled a 2 week post op visit with the bariatric surgeon he was willing to care for me when I return