Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I have been looking at several posts. I've noticed several people mentioning having tests such as GI and chest xrays. Is this standard or only if there are underlying conditions? Other than being obese, and arthritis, I am healthy (not even high cholesterol). My primary doc never mentioned these tests (although i did have the standard blood tests). I am having my surgery with Nortons weight management center here in Louisville. As part of their program, there is a $300 fee (non insurance billable). This fee covers all mental health evals, nutritionalist counseling, surgeon consults, support groups, and of course, they do all our insurance submissions. This fee also covers a lifetime of follow up care. My insurance pays for all but 1600 of the actual surgery. Monday I go for a two hour appt with the mental health pro and nutritionalist. Afterwards I meet with the nurse navigator to ensure all my paperwork is in order. Then i will be scheduled a surgeon consult, and at that time my surgery will be scheduled and my papers submitted to insurance. I am hoping to get schedule for the end of feb (i work two fulltime jobs and that is the best time for me to be off). Both my jobs are easy (yes I am blessed). One i am actually ok to sleep at. Has anyone gone back to work within a week? I have vacation time, but my schdule can be hectic the longer I am gone. So really the two quesitons I have right now are about the pre surgery testing, and the time off from work. Any help?

I am only about 2 1/2 weeks out but the only tests I had were a blood test and an EKG. That's it but I think it depends on the doctor. As for going back to work I think it would depend what time of work you are doing. I would definitely be avoiding heavy lifting etc.

My dr ordered a chem test, H Pylori test, chest X-ray, and EKG. It's standard testing for all his sleeve patients. I'm planning on returning to my desk job after one week.

Think it would be ok, haha! Oops missed that party. Just remember everyone heals differently so maybe be prepared to take more time off if it is needed. Good luck with everything!

I have a desk job during the day and four nights a week i stay with a lady. I dont have to do any care for her, its just a safety measure since she is 94. I can alswys do partial days if it gets too much.

I would say after a week you would probably be good! I personally got my energy back and felt way better after a week and I was able to go clear fluids to full fluids.

My doctor left out a LOT of details about the pre-op tests and I only found out about them through his staff later on. But his standard tests included scoping my stomach, EKG, blood work and chest x-ray.

One thing that was really a pain was finding out that I had to have the blood work done a 2nd time within 3 days of surgery (I gave the hospital permission to give me blood if necessary during surgery). My hospital required that blood work be done within 3 days of surgery if there is a possibility that the patient needs blood.

I read on this forum one poster who said he was back at work after 3 days. I wasn't in any shape to go back until 7 days after surgery.

The pre-op tests are totally dependent upon the patient and whatever, if any, other health issues they have.

People go back to work anywhere from 3 days to 8 weeks. I went back at 2.5 weeks and it was too soon - not from pain but from a total lack of energy. My energy didn't come back till just over 4 weeks out.

If you don't have to give a return to work date, I wouldn't. See how you feel and determine your return date on that if you can.

I am wired up, as I write, for a sleep apnea study. Facing all these fun tests I spent years avoiding... It's all good to know.

My dr ordered a chem test, H Pylori test, chest X-ray, and EKG. It's standard testing for all his sleeve patients. I'm planning on returning to my desk job after one week.

My doctor was exactly the same.

I returned to work the same week as surgery. (Surgery Monday, work from home Thursday, back in the office Friday). I felt great and didn't want to use up PTO.