Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running Back to Back?

I'm looking into training plans for a marathon that's in March. A little background- I used the Couch to 5K/10K training app, but after that I stuck to my method of running 7 miles on Tuesdays/Thursdays and then a long run on Saturdays. I would increase the mileage of my long runs no more than 2 miles per week. I always take at least one day off in between my runs. I have never ran back to back to due my almost irrational fear that I will injure myself. My longest run is 20 miles, but it's been awhile.

I started looking at training programs. I checked out Hal Higdon's intermediate marathon plan. I'm not worried about the mileage, but I am concerned about running back to back. His plan includes running on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. I plan on swimming on Mondays as cross training (I already do this as recovery after a long run).

Any thoughts? I have nine weeks until the big event. I originally thought that I would just pick up on week 10 of his training plan. I'm concerned about injuring myself, but at the same time I think I need to do a bit more in preparing for this event.

Any suggestions? Different training plan?

Yeah, I'm doing his half marathon plan. Most of his half marathon plans involve cross training as an alternative to running back to back. I prefer that. The marathon plans are almost all running. I don't really have any advice to give except to say you may have to make your own alterations. Change one of those runs to another cross training day. Or do half the run and then do 30 minutes cross training. That way you're still getting the cardio without overdoing it. I'm the same as you, I think about injury prevention every step I take. Maybe it's a result of being 44 and always having to be careful or my weight would have caused an injury.

Best of luck with this. We're all rooting for you.

Thanks, BTB! I appreciate the insight and support.

So here's an update- last week I logged a total of 29 miles in five days of actual running. I switched back and forth between the treadmill and outside. My left hip flexor started twinging a little but not too bad. I had this happen before with treadmill running. Yesterday, I ran a half and it hurt but I was able to run through it. It bothered me last night while in bed. :( I skipped this mornings workout.

How does one know when to stop? I don't want to train through an injury and make it worse, but I don't want to over react and lose training time. It's an uncomfortable nuisance pain- not sharp acute pain.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks' date=' BTB! I appreciate the insight and support.

So here's an update- last week I logged a total of 29 miles in five days of actual running. I switched back and forth between the treadmill and outside. My left hip flexor started twinging a little but not too bad. I had this happen before with treadmill running. Yesterday, I ran a half and it hurt but I was able to run through it. It bothered me last night while in bed. :( I skipped this mornings workout.

How does one know when to stop? I don't want to train through an injury and make it worse, but I don't want to over react and lose training time. It's an uncomfortable nuisance pain- not sharp acute pain.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

I struggle with this as well. My only thought is....I've read many times that it's better to be undertrained than overtrained, and end up sidelined.

For me (and this is just how I've come to think about things from my years of playing sports, not because I know anything about running) if it's a muscular pain, I feel I can work it out and work through it within reason. If its a joint pain, I'm more willing to rest it. I've always been a big believer in the RICE method.

Thanks' date=' BTB! I appreciate the insight and support.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

I have been getting that left hip pain too for the last couple of weeks. It is annoying!

What has worked for me is:

1. Take a day off in between long runs ( for me an hour).

2. Spend extra time stretching the hip reflexors before and after runs. Really important! When I do have the left pain, it is usually gone by about 10 minutes into the run. I really really focus on good posture and relaxation when running to minimize these body aches.

3. Spend extra time warming up and cooling down at approx. 4.5 mph ( a slow jog, very comfortable).

4. Drink an extra Protein shake after running. I also switched to a more expensive Protein powder to aid with recovery from those long runs.

I am by no means one to give advice to you, but it has been working for me.

I hope folks keep posting about their experiences because I'm just starting to up my walking routine to running following the c25k app and was curious about it only being three days per week. I did the day one, two days in a row, walked day 3 (I walk 3.5-3.7mph at a 7% incline when I walk), did c25k day two on the 4th day and then walked a day. Tonight I'll do the third day of c25k. I'm NOT a runner, never have been but I'm doing this to hopefully tone up some. I realize 5k is probably what most of you real runners would consider a warmup! :/

I hope folks keep posting about their experiences because I'm just starting to up my walking routine to running following the c25k app and was curious about it only being three days per week. I did the day one' date=' two days in a row, walked day 3 (I walk 3.5-3.7mph at a 7% incline when I walk), did c25k day two on the 4th day and then walked a day. Tonight I'll do the third day of c25k. I'm NOT a runner, never have been but I'm doing this to hopefully tone up some. I realize 5k is probably what most of you real runners would consider a warmup! :/[/quote']

That sounds great! Another member of our small running club. Running a 5 k is still challenging depending on speed, hills, etc. Don't worry about that! And always remember, we also started at the same place as you in learning to run. I just started a couple months ago and I too was obese before. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. We are here to help each other, no matter what the skill level is. I seem to always ask alot of questions and post my experiences as do others. Do not let that stop you from doing the same thing. There are no dumb questions here. :) We will help where we can, some more than others due to more experience.

Thanks, guys! I greatly appreciate the feedback.

I typically walk at a brisk pace for 5 minutes before running. On the long runs, I will do a slow jog for a 1/4 mile, stretch, and start my run. I always cool down and then stretch post workout. I think I'm going to change it up to always stretching pre-run and pay special attention to the hip flexors. I don't know what is causing the pain, but I'm guessing it could be from poor warm up, over training, or poor muscle tone. I googled and found some good stretches and I think I'm going to start doing it twice a day. I also found some info saying that the hip flexors are having to work too hard to compensate for poor glute and ab muscles. I'm only going to tweak the warm up and resting after a long run. I'm not going to cross train- just rest. :) I usually drink a Protein shake aftwards (the only exception is at race/events.

I'm back on the treadmill tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too nagging. It didn't phase me today unless I had to step up or if I accidentally crossed my legs. It's definitely not joint pain- so that's good, right?!

I'll keep you posted and THANK YOU again for the feedback.

Btw- I set a new PR yesterday! Half marathon in 2:05. Yeah!!

Danyelle...2:05 is awesome.

On another note...have ya'll tried foam rolling? It kind of takes the place of stretching plus it's a great warm up, and really loosens up muscle lesions. I don't do it everytime, but when I foam roll right before I run I feel great. If you've never done it before, it kinda hurts to do it. But the more you do it the easier it gets.

Thanks! No, I haven't tried this before. I have heard of it, but was unsure about how I feel about it. I will definitely look into this.

Btw, I can't believe that I forgot to tell you that this guy was running COMPLETELY barefoot yesterday. I thought about you, BTB. I didn't see any vibrams though. :) Anyhow, this guy looked really uncomfortable. His posture was definitely different. I don't know how he managed on the 2 mile stretch of a gravelly path. Yikes! It was pretty neat though watching him run on blacktop like it was nothing. Light like a feather!

That's neat. It really is a completely different posture to most heel strikers. It should be comfortable and graceful though. I know when I run and things are going good, I feel as graceful as a swan, but Lord knows if I look that good. My wife, who is a long time runner, tells me my form looks real good and nobody at the trail has fallen down from laughing at me so something must be right. I met a guy last weekend who was trail running in his huaraches (little primitive homemade sandals). I don't know if I'm hip enough to run in those, but I am planning a short barefoot run this Saturday. I honestly don't think I could run as far as I have if I was still heel striking. We will see, but as of now I'm planning on doing my half marathon in my five finger shoes.

I picked up some better shoes over the weekend and made it through four nights of c25k week one and I've been on the treadmill every day! Tonight I do the first night of week 2- should be interesting.

One thing I'll say is it's motivating me to do it! Of course, it's only been a week but I'm excited about it - you know, to see if I can do it!

I picked up some better shoes over the weekend and made it through four nights of c25k week one and I've been on the treadmill every day! Tonight I do the first night of week 2- should be interesting.

One thing I'll say is it's motivating me to do it! Of course' date=' it's only been a week but I'm excited about it - you know, to see if I can do it![/quote']

Woo hoo to completing week 1!! I'm glad to hear that u picked up better running shoes. Shoes make a huge difference in not only how our feet feel but how our body physically responds. My knees and shins start becoming speckled with bruises when I have put too many miles on a pair of shoes. Keep it up with C25K. It's worked for me and many others. Don't forget that the plan isn't written in stone- being flexible and adjusting to ur personal needs will help ensure success.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

One thing I'll say is it's motivating me to do it! Of course' date=' it's only been a week but I'm excited about it - you know, to see if I can do it![/quote']

When I was doing C25K, every week I looked ahead and said "I can't do that." Looking ahead intimidated the heck out of me. But then I always surprised myself. And I'm no athlete, not anymore. The folks who designed that plan really knew what they were doing. But as Danyelle said, listen to your inner voice. If you want to repeat a day, or a week, you should. And if you go out one night and feel like crap, then maybe that night just wasn't meant to be. Just try again the next night.