Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can I expect the first few day and few weeks? How about pain?

I'm going in January 30th. I am very nervous about the procedure and the pain etc... how painful was being extubated? I know I will be out when they intubate (put the tube down your trachea), but will I be awake when they pull it out? How bad does it hurt?

How was the pain for the first 2 days to 2 weeks after surgery? I'm a baby when it comes to pain, and I'm worried about my tollerance to pain meds as I've been in vicodin for more than 5 years for chronic pain.

How many ounces does the sleeve hold at a time? I'm worried about getting my recommended Fluid intake in.

How many of you ended up back in the hospital (be it the ER or inpatient)?

Hi,

I had my sleeve on Jan. 10, 2013. I had very little pain from the surgery. My abdomen felt sore like I had done a bunch of sit-ups. I have one incision on the left side that hurts when I strain that area. But as long as I don't it doesn't bother me. I did have problems with my throat from the tube for about 4 days after surgery. The sore throat wasn't as irritating as that fact that my uvula was swollen. That's that little dangly thing in the back of your throat. He was swollen to the point where it was impossible for me to do much talking (thank God for texting). It would move and strangle me a little. I kept eating sugar free popsicles and ice. I only took one dose of the pain meds from the hospital. I took that for my throat because it is also an anti-inflammatory moreso than for the pain. All in all, I have no complaints. Each person is different though. As for my experience, it has been pretty easy. Good luck on your journey!

I had a relatively easy recovery and did not have to go back to the doc/er for complications or dehydration. I was sore after surgery, but was up and walking that eve. Went home the next day and did more walking. I slept in a recliner for a couple of days because it hurt to lie down in bed. Just remember to keep sipping and walking. I also recommend taking the prescribed pain medication. I was able to walk and stay awake if I took my pain meds. Can't drink fluids when you are sleeping. Lol! Good luck with your surgery.

Hi Kimmy,

I'm more in your boat, so let me answer you. Sounds like these other gals were quite healthy going in to it.

You will be asleep when they intubate and extubate you. You will not even know it except that someone told you. It's not in long enough to give you a sore throat.

How much will your stomach hold? 3 - 4 liquid oz. at most. liquids will drain right through the pylorus. For the first week you will only be on liquids. Don't look for a 'full' feeling. It's not something you want to feel. Follow your doctors directions on how many tablespoons you can be eating and don't go beyond that just because you don't feel full.

As for your pain, it is different for you because you have chronic pain. You may find as I did that they try to treat your surgical pain while ignoring the fact that you have been on chronic pain meds for the past several years. This intensifies your pain levels significantly. They HAVE to address your chronic pain before they can address your surgical pain. Once they do that, you'll be fine. I've been on 24 hr. release Oxycontin. In the hospital, they simply wanted to give my Roxicet for sporadic pain. We had a rough 24 hours then I got talk to the doctor in charge of my medications. Since I wasn't allowed to swallow pills, he gave me a Duragesic patch on my shoulder for the chronic pain, then I was fine with the Roxicet for break through pain. Make sure you speak up and TELL them you need your chronic pain addressed. I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to be prepared to speak up for yourself.

Once I got home, I had about 3 incisions that caused a small amount of burning pain. I slept with pillows packed around me. It took about 2 weeks before the pain stopped completely. The others are right. Walk and drink as much as possible. It really does help. I stayed an extra day in hospital.

Thanks, Lander. It is really different if you have chronic pain. I am afraid that they won't effectively treat my pain. I'm a nurse, and sadly I know how (most) nurses feel about pain meds. Especially how they feel about chronic pain patients. We are all "addicts" or "hypochondriacs". Hopefully I will have a PCA so I won't have to rely on asking the nurses for meds. I have been in the hospital before for something minor, and getting my meds was like pulling teeth. They kept trying to give me tylenol for 6-7/10 pain. I was BEGGING them for something stronger, and mostly I was ignored...you better believe the state nurses board got a call from me (and the hospital administrator)! I'm just afraid I'm not going to be in any condition to advocate for myself.

Just as I expected, my surgeon took me off all my meds, sent me home with a 4 day supply of liquid Lortab, and then refused to refill my RX. Fortunately my GP has known me for 10 years and had no problem filling my RX. I have since fired my surgeon. He's clearly an idiot if he expects a chronic pain patient (who has been on vicodin for 7 years) to take liquid Tylenol for pain.

I also had to fight for pain meds in the hospital...well my mom fought for me. It's always nice to bring another nurse with you to the hospital. ;-)