Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastic Sleeve Advantages / Disadvantages

I have seen a lot of posts from newbies who are skeptical about this life changing surgery I found something that talks about advantages and disadvantages please share your experience good and bad also how it change your life. I think it will be very helpful for newbies

In this procedure, the bariatric (weight loss) surgeon will remove approximately 60 to 80% of the stomach along the greater curvature, leaving only a small tube, or 'sleeve' for the new stomach pouch that extends from the natural stomach opening to the natural stomach outlet (pyloric valve). The procedure helps limit eating by reducing the overall size of the stomach and helps control hunger by removing the part of the stomach that produces the hunger-stimulating hormone Ghrelin.

The cut-away part of the stomach is removed from the body and not left in place, therefore the stomach reduction is permanent and the gastric sleeve procedure is not reversible. Overall, it is a less complicated operation than gastric bypass surgery, since the pyloric valve and small intestine are left intact. Also, the gastric sleeve does not involve implanting a medical device into the body in order to restrict eating as with adjustable gastric banding surgery.

Advantages of the gastric sleeve

The advantages of gastric sleeve surgery for obese patients are manifold. The greatest of these is safety: the likelihood of complications from the less-complicated gastric sleeve procedure is lower than that of gastric bypass surgery, which is more complex surgical operation.

The second big advantage of the gastric sleeve is its convenience: the patient doesn't have to schedule frequent follow-up office visits, as is the case with patients who undergo Lap-Band surgery and need to see their doctor several times in the first year to have the band adjusted. Current data also indicates that the gastric sleeve results in quicker weight loss than gastric banding.

In addition, the gastric sleeve procedure doesn't require as much active follow-up participation on the part of patients. Patients can get back to normal life that much faster.

Gastric sleeve patients experience fewer restrictions on the types of food that they can eat. The possibility of overeating is itself greatly lessened as well, since the part of the stomach which produces hormones responsible for stimulating hunger is removed from the digestive system during a gastric sleeve operation. This is seen by many patients as being one of the great advantages of the gastric sleeve. Although the procedure reduces the size of the stomach and the amount of food that can be eaten, the stomach otherwise functions normally. And, since the pylorus (the 'valve' that allows only measured amounts of food to pass from the stomach into the bowel) is retained during gastric sleeve surgery.

Of course, no form of surgery is foolproof, and the gastric sleeve procedure is no exception. As with all forms of bariatric surgery, the patient must want success and work for success in order for the operation to succeed as a treatment for curing Type 2 diabetes.

Gastric sleeve surgery can be the best option for many obese people with Type 2 diabetes, but only as a part of a total lifestyle change. A common-sense program of diet and exercise, along with daily Vitamin supplements and routine check-ups, are vital if the surgery is to succeed. If you're considering bariatric surgery to cure Type 2 diabetes or obesity, this surgery is for you.

LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY

Laparoscopic surgery, also referred to as minimally invasive surgery, describes the performance of surgical procedures with the assistance of a video camera and several thin instruments. During the surgical procedure, small incisions of up to half an inch are made and plastic tubes called ports are placed through these incisions. The camera and the instruments are then introduced through the ports which allow access to the inside of the patient.

The camera transmits an image of the organs inside the abdomen onto a television monitor. The surgeon is not able to see directly into the patient without the traditional large incision. The video camera becomes a surgeon's eyes in laparoscopy surgery, since the surgeon uses the image from the video camera positioned inside the patient's body to perform the procedure.

The benefits of minimally invasive or laparoscopic procedures are:

less post-operative discomfort since the incisions are much smaller

quicker recovery times

shorter hospital stays

earlier return to full activities

much smaller scars

there may be less internal scarring when the procedures are performed in a minimally invasive fashion compared to standard open surgery

GASTRIC SLEEVE AT A GLANCE

Approach: Restrictive

Limits amount of food that can be eaten

Reduces hunger sensations

Anatomy Changes: Stomach

Reduces stomach size by removing 60% to 80% of the stomach along the greater curvature, leaving only a narrow tube or 'sleeve'

Surgery Method:

Laparoscopic

Operating Time:

One hour

Hospital Stay:

Usually 1 day

Adjustable:

No

Reversible:

No

Medical Implant:

No

Success Rate:

90% succesful in curing Type 2 diabetes

Surgery Benefits and Advantages:

Does not require a medical device implant into body

Pyloric valve and small intestine are kept intact

Reduces hunger (the portion of stomach that produces Ghrelin, the hunger stimulating hormone, is removed)

Few food intolerances

Low malnutrition risk

May be converted to gastric bypass or duodenal switch for additional weight loss

Revision option for patients who have had previous gastric band surgery

Time Off Work:

One week

Recovery Time:

One week

Dietary Guidelines:

600 to 800 calories per day during weight loss period (1-2 years, if weight loss is also a goal)

1,000-1,200 calories per day, once goal weight is achieved

eat protein-rich foods

avoid high fat and high calorie foods

avoid carbonated drinks and coffee

Eating Habits:

eat five small meals a day

avoid snacking

do not eat and drink at same time

chew food thoroughly

Nutritional supplements (optional):

Multivitamins

Calcium

Vitamin B12

Weight Loss (obese patients):

Quick rate of weight loss

Short term results primarily favorable, especially in low BMI patients

Expected weight loss 60% to 70% of excess weight at two years in morbidly obese patients

Low malnutrition risk

Disadvantages:

General surgical risks

Not reversible

Requires patient effort (changing diet and eating habits) for initial recovery and weight loss

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

I have seen a lot of posts from newbies who are skeptical about this life changing surgery I found something that talks about advantages and disadvantages please share your experience good and bad also how it change your life. I think it will be very helpful for newbies

In this procedure' date=' the bariatric (weight loss) surgeon will remove approximately 60 to 80% of the stomach along the greater curvature, leaving only a small tube, or 'sleeve' for the new stomach pouch that extends from the natural stomach opening to the natural stomach outlet (pyloric valve). The procedure helps limit eating by reducing the overall size of the stomach and helps control hunger by removing the part of the stomach that produces the hunger-stimulating hormone Ghrelin.

The cut-away part of the stomach is removed from the body and not left in place, therefore the stomach reduction is permanent and the gastric sleeve procedure is not reversible. Overall, it is a less complicated operation than gastric bypass surgery, since the pyloric valve and small intestine are left intact. Also, the gastric sleeve does not involve implanting a medical device into the body in order to restrict eating as with adjustable gastric banding surgery.

Advantages of the gastric sleeve

The advantages of gastric sleeve surgery for obese patients are manifold. The greatest of these is safety: the likelihood of complications from the less-complicated gastric sleeve procedure is lower than that of gastric bypass surgery, which is more complex surgical operation.

The second big advantage of the gastric sleeve is its convenience: the patient doesn't have to schedule frequent follow-up office visits, as is the case with patients who undergo Lap-Band surgery and need to see their doctor several times in the first year to have the band adjusted. Current data also indicates that the gastric sleeve results in quicker weight loss than gastric banding.

In addition, the gastric sleeve procedure doesn't require as much active follow-up participation on the part of patients. Patients can get back to normal life that much faster.

Gastric sleeve patients experience fewer restrictions on the types of food that they can eat. The possibility of overeating is itself greatly lessened as well, since the part of the stomach which produces hormones responsible for stimulating hunger is removed from the digestive system during a gastric sleeve operation. This is seen by many patients as being one of the great advantages of the gastric sleeve. Although the procedure reduces the size of the stomach and the amount of food that can be eaten, the stomach otherwise functions normally. And, since the pylorus (the 'valve' that allows only measured amounts of food to pass from the stomach into the bowel) is retained during gastric sleeve surgery.

Of course, no form of surgery is foolproof, and the gastric sleeve procedure is no exception. As with all forms of bariatric surgery, the patient must want success and work for success in order for the operation to succeed as a treatment for curing Type 2 diabetes.

Gastric sleeve surgery can be the best option for many obese people with Type 2 diabetes, but only as a part of a total lifestyle change. A common-sense program of diet and exercise, along with daily Vitamin supplements and routine check-ups, are vital if the surgery is to succeed. If you're considering bariatric surgery to cure Type 2 diabetes or obesity, this surgery is for you.

LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY

Laparoscopic surgery, also referred to as minimally invasive surgery, describes the performance of surgical procedures with the assistance of a video camera and several thin instruments. During the surgical procedure, small incisions of up to half an inch are made and plastic tubes called ports are placed through these incisions. The camera and the instruments are then introduced through the ports which allow access to the inside of the patient.

The camera transmits an image of the organs inside the abdomen onto a television monitor. The surgeon is not able to see directly into the patient without the traditional large incision. The video camera becomes a surgeon's eyes in laparoscopy surgery, since the surgeon uses the image from the video camera positioned inside the patient's body to perform the procedure.

The benefits of minimally invasive or laparoscopic procedures are:

less post-operative discomfort since the incisions are much smaller

quicker recovery times

shorter hospital stays

earlier return to full activities

much smaller scars

there may be less internal scarring when the procedures are performed in a minimally invasive fashion compared to standard open surgery

GASTRIC SLEEVE AT A GLANCE

Approach: Restrictive

Limits amount of food that can be eaten

Reduces hunger sensations

Anatomy Changes: Stomach

Reduces stomach size by removing 60% to 80% of the stomach along the greater curvature, leaving only a narrow tube or 'sleeve'

Surgery Method:

Laparoscopic

Operating Time:

One hour

Hospital Stay:

Usually 1 day

Adjustable:

No

Reversible:

No

Medical Implant:

No

Success Rate:

90% succesful in curing Type 2 diabetes

Surgery Benefits and Advantages:

Does not require a medical device implant into body

Pyloric valve and small intestine are kept intact

Reduces hunger (the portion of stomach that produces Ghrelin, the hunger stimulating hormone, is removed)

Few food intolerances

Low malnutrition risk

May be converted to gastric bypass or duodenal switch for additional weight loss

Revision option for patients who have had previous gastric band surgery

Time Off Work:

One week

Recovery Time:

One week

Dietary Guidelines:

600 to 800 calories per day during weight loss period (1-2 years, if weight loss is also a goal)

1,000-1,200 calories per day, once goal weight is achieved

eat protein-rich foods

avoid high fat and high calorie foods

avoid carbonated drinks and coffee

Eating Habits:

eat five small meals a day

avoid snacking

do not eat and drink at same time

chew food thoroughly

Nutritional supplements (optional):

Multivitamins

Calcium

Vitamin B12

Weight Loss (obese patients):

Quick rate of weight loss

Short term results primarily favorable, especially in low BMI patients

Expected weight loss 60% to 70% of excess weight at two years in morbidly obese patients

Low malnutrition risk

Disadvantages:

General surgical risks

Not reversible

Requires patient effort (changing diet and eating habits) for initial recovery and weight loss

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST[/quote']

This is a very informative post. It sums VSG up very well

Thanks for sharing this. For me, I have no regrets. I decided to get the sleeve once and for all, after watching my 67 year old mother-in-law chasing my 3 kiddos around my house. That was something I could not do. At 8 weeks out, now I am chasing my kiddos, and not panting while doing it. At only 8 weeks out, I can only imagine all the things I will be able to do a year from now:) I am so happy and full of hope!

This is a very informative post. It sums VSG up very well

:)

Thanks for sharing this. For me' date=' I have no regrets. I decided to get the sleeve once and for all, after watching my 67 year old mother-in-law chasing my 3 kiddos around my house. That was something I could not do. At 8 weeks out, now I am chasing my kiddos, and not panting while doing it. At only 8 weeks out, I can only imagine all the things I will be able to do a year from now:) I am so happy and full of hope![/quote']

:)