Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Free Lap Band

OK here it is. My hubby and I just found out that our new insurance will pay 100% for lap band surgery. So my hubby suggested to take the money we were going to spend and pay for a needy person to have the surgery.

My problem is how do we know if the person is truly needy. Is there any medical group that does lap bands that we could make a donation too? How do we know for sure the money is being used for the lap band and not the centers lunch break. I would like to take names and talk with all the people that think they really need this gift and ask all the whys whens and hows. Are we out of our minds to think about doing this? Yes we do know some people that could use the surgery but most could do it on their own without our help and others could if they just put their minds to it. I hope I don't offend anyone but what we mean is someone who may not have the money due to reasons beyond their control but have the control to follow orders, have the disciple it takes to achieve their goal etc. Input would be appreciated. Amom & Adad

I think that is an awsome idea. You are going to give someone their life back. It's not crazy at all. You must be amazing people. One of my personal goals is to be able to donate a Wish every month for Make a Wish. It only cost $2500 to make a childs dreams come true! Unbelievable. Great Idea.

Now if only the free lapband was for me, =), lol. Military insurance does not cover, =(.

Just a suggestion. Why not advertise on here or in your local papers that you will donate the money for someone's lapband surgery? The catch is they have to write an essay, including pictures, lifestory and reasons why they deserve this gift. Plus have them include letters from their doctor, and 3 other reference letters (character references). Set a deadline, then let the fun begin.

You two must have some big hearts!!!! God will bless you for helping someone else. It's not often that we run across people like you in this world, but when I do it makes me feel good just knowing that there are still some careing and loving people around. Thank you for a good heart and a giving spirit! Good luck on your lap band. I haven't been banded yet but I'm still in the processing stage... LOL :clap2:

That's a nice gesture but it's virtually 100% impossible to know for sure that funds are going to the right person, right reason, etc.

Plus you have the flip side... so be wary and informed, or you could potentially have legal consequences. You also need to consider the long-term of your actions. Let's say you give someone lap-band who couldn't otherwise afford it, and then the worst case scenario happens and they have complications and need revision surgeries, port replacements, or removal procedures. What happens then? You can build contingencies for it, just be smart in what you do.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to help you see a different side for your actions. Lots of unforseen consequences can come out of trying to do something nice for someone.

If you really want to do something charitable with it, you could do something that might not have such consequences attached. For example, you could roll the money into an effort to bring meals to people who are recently banded. Or do a series of small "grants" to help people pay for the travel for their procedures, or for associated costs. That way you're touching a LOT of people, and not having to tie yourself so closely into something that could bite back.

Here's another thought. Since your band is paid for (as was mine, and I had planned on being a self pay) put the money aside for some cosmetic work after you reach goal... or into a "fund" for a fantastic reward for yourself when you get there.

There are a couple on this site that have expressed their need, but don't have the money. They were looking for every way to pay. Look through the posts. One was a single mom that I think was also going to school.

You might want to pay 1/2 of the surgery and they pay the other half if they can. That way you know they want it and you could do good for more than one.

Be careful, but I think your gift is amazing. Look for those that really want it.

Dear Mom and Dad...

I am truly humbled by your generosity. Please don't let anyone talk you out of this. I am a big fan of grass roots giving - knowing who/where your $$ go, and I have huge issues with big name agencies who want to "administer" other people's money. I worked in Social Services for 15 years and I have seen it all.....greed, fraud, dishonesty - and not just from the clients, either.

From my experience, I would say devise an intake sheet for basic information. Require proof of income (check stubs) and things like rent receipts or mortgage coupon, utilities, etc. That will give you a good idea of whether this person doesn't have the money, or just doesn't manage money well. I'd say, if your net income is $4000 per month and your house payment is half that, you're living beyond your means.

Now the bad news....you can't give anyone more than $13000 a year (I think that's the latest cap) without paying gift tax. But you can gift part in Dec and part in Jan, if you want.

I know all the "what if's", but most states have what are called "good Samaritin laws". I think you would probably be protected under that statute.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please PM me for my e-mail addy and phone number.

Edited to add....you won't have to advertise in the newspaper, etc. I'm betting you will get dozens of nominations from this site alone.

This is an amazing gesture, but I completely agree with Wheetsin that it might be risky.

Were I in your fortunate shoes, what I would do is work with my surgeon's office to pick up the tab for one of his interested patients. People come to the seminars all the time who don't have any way of paying for the surgery, but who are hoping for a miracle. The doctor's office could offer a "scholarship" and help identify the right candidate(s) with you.

What a wonderful gesture!

I think that is a great thought but I can definately see some problems...what if God forbid the person dies during surgery.. I say save it for some cosmetic work after and your gym fees now...plus all the new clothes you will need...or you can help people with their food, fills, etc....something you couldn't get sued over...Good Luck!:o

Good Samaritan laws don't protect as well as you might think (or hope) they would. Unfortunately I speak from personal experience.

A well-written terms & conditions could take care of a lot of the liability, but you aren't looking at a cheap bill to get that from a valid source.

Good call, Carlene, on the gift tax. We ran into that earlier this year with some money that the ILs wanted to give us. The max at that time (April) was $10,000.00 per transaction for cash gifts. The key being "per transaction". A larger amount can be given, it just needs to occur in multiple transactions, e.g. 5 deposits @ $10k versus 1 deposit @ 50k. I couldn't say whether or not the cap has changed since then.

Speaking as a lawyer (but not a tax lawyer), please check out your gift with your own lawyer before completing this incredibly generous gift. Though all the concerns raised here are very valid, this can be done if you want to.

The 2006 gift tax limit is per person and the limit is $12K per year, combined, so with your husband, you can can give $24K tax free, or even $48K in two installments as long as one is in 2006 and one in 2007. Check this out with your attorney.

For liability purposes as well as helping the maximum number of people, I like the idea of covering multiple people's travel expenses/follow-up appointments. I see people on this site all the time that are waiting months to get a fill that they desparately need because of the cost. I'm sure you could pay the doctor directly in that circumstance, which would help with your concerns re the funds going where you want them to go.

There is a radio station/Lap Band doctor combo in DFW area that gave away a LB surgery last year. I know a woman who was closely involved with the promo and selection. I could ask her the particulars regarding liability, etc if you'd like. I'm sure they took all the right steps to CYA.

SOB! Are you serious? We had to pay multiple fees to convert a foreign curreny wire into American funds. The fees aren't small, esp. with our bank. If we'd been told it was $12k p/y... that would have been one fee per $24k instead of one fee per $10k. Now I'm mad and calling my bank! :o

That's great!!

I know Dr. C accepted $ from a philanthropist and he was then able to offer free and low cost fills.