Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from a new Sleever

I am a 5 week post op sleever that converted from a 6 year old band. My surgeon was Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. I lost 65 lbs with the band and then gained it all back after it slipped and had to be replaced. My sleeve recovery has been hard in my opinion as compared to the recovery from the band. I have had a hard time with gastric reflux. Initially reflux would happen after every morsel of food, and even when I didn't eat. It is worse at night when it comes up and chokes me and sometimes even gets in my sinuses. I am on anti-reflux meds twice a day and have been put back on liquids for 2 more weeks. I need to know if anyone else has had reflux this bad and if it will ever go away. I only recall a few occurrences of it with the band. Because I can barely keep food down without refluxing and vomiting, I have lost a total of 26 lbs in the first 4 weeks after surgery. That combined with the 10 lbs I lost before surgery to prepare for the surgery, I have lost a total of 36 lbs. I am no way eating enough food.

Nice to meet you I'm also a revision Dr Cuneen did my port revision and Dr Burch did my sleeve I'm almost 3 months out keep in touch

Nice to meet you too. I am so glad to meet someone else from Dr. Cunneen. I need help. I am having a hard time with reflux and nutrition. Because of my reflux, I am not able to eat enough food. I am now in week six and can only get down 1/2 Protein Shake and Soup most days. sometimes 1 whole shake and 2 cups of soup. Being 3 months out, how much do you eat daily?

I have had no issues at all I can eat about 4 oz of food at a sitting. no problem with solid food and I do better with it actually. Keeps me full for a longer time. Are you drinking your acid reducing meds at least 30 minutes before you eat? I recently stopped taking the acid reducing meds but I'm thinking of getting back on them, having an acidy stomach makes me feel hungry. Don't want to have to graze to get that fake hunger sensation satiated. I'm seeing Dr Burch on Wednesday morning going to ask him to prescribe something other than Prilosec. Have you ate any solid foods yet? Maybe the Protein Shakes aren't agreeing with you?

Hi there, I am glad that you have your reflux somewhat under control. I am still on liquids again and the reflux is still a problem. I do take the meds 3 times a day, but not necessary 30 mins before food. I will be more conscious of that if that is something that can help. I take previcid, but it sounds like you are taking a liquid acid reflux medication, what it is? Perhaps I can ask my doctor to prescribe it for me. I am opening capsules and sprinkling their content over soft ice cups over juice swallow it down without chewing it. Did you have your band removed and sleeve done in two different surgeries or was it done in one?