Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

very bad gas in shoulder and a question

Hi all ! I have been monitoring the site for months and finally decided to join tonight. Got my surgery on Nov. 3 in Southern California, and feel great.

Except for the gas. I have terrible pain in my left shoulder. It really hurts.

Here are my questions: Could this possibly be because of food or the band pushing a certain way? Or is it simply the gas they used to inflate the cavity during the surgery? And when, on average, does it go away?

Thanks for any advice.

I too had the pain in my left shoulder, and was told it was the gas. The good news - it does go away after about 1 week.

I had to get up and walk around to alleviate the pain.

Kat.

I was talking to an hospital person tonight and she said the worst thing you will feel is the pain in your shoulder back area where they put the gas in...follow the advice given over and over here walk walk walk at least 5 minutes every awake hour...this allows the body's tissue to reabsord the extra air

Hi all ! I have been monitoring the site for months and finally decided to join tonight. Got my surgery on Nov. 3 in Southern California, and feel great.

Except for the gas. I have terrible pain in my left shoulder. It really hurts.

Here are my questions: Could this possibly be because of food or the band pushing a certain way? Or is it simply the gas they used to inflate the cavity during the surgery? And when, on average, does it go away?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, the gas they use during surgery is a culprit. I was also told that irritation to the diaphram(sp?) during surgery can cause referred pain to that shoulder. Mine lasted about two weeks, off and on. The thing that helped the most was a heating pad on it.

You can also get referral pain in the left shoulder from the diaphram. It is still with me, not very painful, 5 months later. In fact, it is my signal that I'm full. I get these little twinges in the left shoulder so I know to stop eating. Also, if I get gassy that's where it effects me.

My pain didnt seem like it would ever go away but it finally did. I actually used Flexall ( I know it is for muscles but it worked) to relieve some of the pain. I had my hubby rub it into my shoulders and it does help alleviate some of the pain. Other than that I had to stay active. Hope this helps.

I hate to tell you but I have been banded over 10 months and when I eat to much about 30 minutes later I get the pain in the left shoulder. Some times the band doesn't stop me from eating and I don't know I'm so full until the pain starts then it's to late. I walk around and move my arm up and down what ever I can I'm sure it's just gas but in the left shoulder it's strange.

I had the left shoulder pain with 2 other lap procedures. Bad news It HURTS, good news is alot of people find relief by using the gas relief drops that they sell for babies. It worked for me, but be forwarned; take it in private because you will fart and burp for about 1/2 hour and we're talking loud enough to impress a teenage boy :-)

Oh my goodness! I had that gas pain in my shoulder something terrible. It was worse than the actual procedure. The only thing that helped me was to lay FLAT on my back with a heating pad on my shoulder. Two days of overnight thereapy (flat on my back with heating pad) and all the gas was gone. The walking didn't release the shoulder pain gas, only the abdominal gas.

Good luck!

Melissa Lea

The first time around for me, the shoulder tip pain lasted on and off, about 3 weeks. Walking around seemed to make it lessen.

This time however (just had revision surgery over the weekend), walking seems to make it worse, as well as bring on nausea. The only thing that's helped it thus far for me is laying down. Also, a bit of peppermint extract in Water. The nurses at the hospital gave me a little medicine cup full of this and sure enough, even though it tasted horrible, it helped.

Hope you feel better soon.