Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moving from band to sleeve

Hello all! I have had my lapband for 4.5 years. The usual story here. Had success, lost 70 lbs in the first year. Then the band just changed. To much restriction, couldn't eat chicken, steak or eggs. Started rely on slidder foods. Had all the Fluid removed b/c i was tired of having food stuck l the time. Have slowly gained 40 lbs back over the last 2.5 years. Was considering the sleeve back August but decided to give me band one more try. Since i have already paid for it and did have success. Have had several fills since September but here I am with minimal fluid i think somewhere between 2 and 3 cc's and having to much restriction agian while losing no weight. I have actually gained 4 lbs. I am exhausted from dieting and working out. My joints are killing me from all this weight pouding it out in the gym. I just do not understand why my body refuses to drop any weight. I am seeing my laband doc this coming Wednesday to discuss a revision. I have emailed him and told him i wanted to talk about this so he is aware. He said that he usually does them in two surgeries, waiting 3 months in between. I am very nervous about such an invasive surgery which is why i didn't opt for gastric bypass years ago. But i just do know what else to do. I feel like i have two choices: be fat or have this surgery. My hubby is behind me, which i was a little surprised. he was not a fan of me having the lapband but has always been supportortive. He hates the labpand and said he can no longer watch me choke on my food. When i brought up the sleeve he said that he loved the way that i am but realizes that i am getting nowhere on my own. He said that he sees all the work that i put in and that he is sad that i have to rely on surgery. I guess this post was more of a vent/telling my story and hoping for any info and stories that anyone has. Love this forum and have learned a lot.

I hear ya! I've been banded for just over five years. Self pay then and now. Most I lost was 50 but it took years. Only about 30 the first year then two years for the rest. I've since regained 30. I never had took restriction or was either too restricted so yep, slider foods.

I'm doing the revision in one step, but had a total infill and liquid diet for two weeks. Decided to go to a top surgeon in Mexico.

These boards have been great. Lots of good info and support.

Sounds like you have a classy hubby there. I had a revision in early December, just now beginning to even want food. Up until now I had to force myself to eat, as of this morning I am down 34 pounds. The last week and a half have been super slow, a little up a little down, but as long as I'm still down I'm happy! Good luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to message.

Thanks guys! Makes me really wish sleeve was an option that i knew about years ago. I will feel much better after my visit this week and hoping the next few months fly by!!

Hi Shannon, I can totally relate to what you're saying. I'm in the same boat as you. Banded 3 1/2 years ago and lost 48 pounds total all with in 8 mos. No more since. I wish I would have went ahead with the bypass as that is what my Dr. was trying to get me to do in the first place. But I was afraid to have that type of invasive surgery. Now I'm regaining some of the weight back. I never reached that sweet spot with the band, only being too tight and losing no weight. The reflux was terrible at night until I had an unfill. So, do I stay fat with diabetes or go ahead and have a conversion? I dont know what to do. He says my insurance will pay for bypass now, but I have to wait and call later to find out if they will pay for sleeve. I feel hopeless as well as a failure. :(

Reshiapooh96...just plain stinks!! I would like my 4,000 back!! Stinks to pay that kind of money, go through a surgery, and try try try just to still be fat!! I don't feel like a failure...i know in my heart of hearts that i have tried and worked so hard. Not that i was perfect all the time but my no means should I still be this weight. I feel like the band failed and my body is against me. I am still beat up and defeated but not a failure. I did reach that sweet spot...and then it just got tight and i could no longer tolerate healthy food. I was a super star...felt like one for a while anyway! That's what makes this all the more sad...is that i was on that road. I saw myself changing and I liked what i saw. I no longer hoped that i wouldn't run into friends that hadn't seen me in a while, b/c i was no longer ashamed of my weight. I no longer dreaded having my picture taken. I no longer feared waiting in line with my kids at an amusment park, scared to death that i might not fit in the ride and that i would be asked to get off. that has never happened but i had several close calls. You know with the teenager working there shoving the chest/lap bar to get it to click just one more time. The click that i needed in order to ride. I don't want to be that person, I have worked so hard to not be that person...yet I still am. I fear what it will be like when i'm older. When i do have health related issue's from being over weight. What if i break my leg...there is no way i can use crutches. Stuff like that!! I see my Dr today to discuss my band to sleeve revsion!! I am so nervous and excited. My insurance company does pay for it now i just pray that he will agree and i will get approved. On an insurance note...most companies either pay for WLS or they don't. Most don't just cover one of the surgeries, it's kind of all or nothing. Look up the CPT code on line and call your insurance company!! Good luck!!!