Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RE-USE of the FILL NEEDLE

Seems strange that a doctor would hand you a biohazard sharp to take with you. I have worked in a tattoo studio and the health dept even have bandage requirements for us to follow. I think that the local health dept would want to know about this, also the hospital that he works in. Why did they give you a fill needle after surgery? Seems odd that the doctor doesn't have new sterile needles in the office. My doctor uses a new, sterile, single use needle each time he accesses my port. I would be affraid of a port infection if he did it any other way. I would also contact Inamed (maker of the band) and let them know about this practice. www.lapband.com . Good luck to you, ~Mandy

Than CANNOT be legal. That needle should go straight into a sharps container, even if it has your own bodily fluids on it, who says they are not a danger to somebody else who may happen upon the needle? And that needle would be so contaminated by the time you brought it back. Of course they're going to sterilise it but at least when its unopened you KNOW its clean.

At the very least, if they were going to do this, the needle should be sterilised before you take it, to protect others.

But its in no way shape or form acceptable, I'd be out of there, and I'd be reporting it.

This should be reported to the Kansas State Physicians Licensing Board and OSHA immediately. I don't think JACHO has anything to do with private physicians offices, but that question could be answered by the Licensing Board. Reusing needles is against the law in every state! Not only does it invite infection, it does dull the needle when it's used, so the more often it's used, the more dull it becomes...more pain! OUCH! I think JACHO might possibly become involved in this since the needle is given to the patient by the hospital before they are discharged now that I think about that. I guess it would depend on if the hospital knew they were being reused. Which brings something else to mind. If the original needle is provided by the hospital, then the jerk doesn't even have to pay for them; the hospital does!!! If I were you, I would start with the licensing board and ask them who else to report it to. In fact, you could call every organization that's been listed here. At least one of them will do something about it and possibly all will. This doc could and should loose his medical license over this! You definitely need to find another doc to take care of you from now on. Explain what this doc is doing and the new doc may help you with all of the reporting. He will know for sure who to go to. Good luck!

Also consider the fact that some people might attempt to do an adjustment on themselves if they are being provided the needle......~Mandy

Not only would I toss the needle, I would directly question his ethics. I would be appalled and I would also inform Inamed as well.

Edited:

I'm so appalled by this, I had to come back and ask, are you pulling our leg on this? This is truly one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on LBT.:omg: :omg: :omg:

I would not toss it personally , I would keep it to prove the idiot gave it to her. Plus she needs to dispose of it properly in a sharps container.

Hell i would take it to a new doc to prove to him he did it maybe then he'll take her as a new patient if anyone gives her problems

Mindy

Definitely NOT a good idea...

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I got my first fill last week. Once I was finished getting filled, the doctor put the fill needle back in its packaging, and gave it to me to bring back next time.

This was odd to me. Please let me know if any of you have heard of this before. The packaging says it's a single-use needle. I didn't notice if the doctor sanitized the needle before he gave it back to me.

I had brought the needle with me that first time because they gave it to me (unopened then, of course) when I was discharged from surgery. I thought that, in itself, was strange enough.

I go for another fill next week. Let me know what you all think. Thank you very much.

I am from San Jose Costa Rica, even the fills down here are very cheap $40. My DR. uses a special needle that has another needle inside, so when he punctures the port it wont make as much damage as a normal syringe also the needle is round edged all around. He uses a special syringe made especially for the fills, and HE STILL THROWS THE SYRINGE WITH THE NEEDLE AWAY.

By doing this he prevents a port infection. BEWARE:embarassed::embarassed:

Eww. Just eww.

Edited:

I'm so appalled by this, I had to come back and ask, are you pulling our leg on this? This is truly one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on LBT.:omg: :omg: :omg:

Me, too. But I believe it.

My doctor prescribed IV Boniva because I can't take the pills. That's IV, as in it has to be given intravenously. I picked it up at the drugstore and the pharmacist said, "If I were you, I would take this to a doctor's office and have them administer it."

YOU THINK??? Gee, I figured if this went well, I might try performing a Tummy Tuck on myself.

the doctor put the fill needle back in its packaging, and gave it to me to bring back next time.

This is insane!! I can't even believe it. :faint: :omg:

drcollier,

Now that I think about it, I agree that you should save the needle; it's evidence. You may need to provide proof to whoever you report this to and if you don't have the needle, he will probably deny the accusation and get by with it. In a case like this, you need all the evidence you can get your hands on. They may even talk to the hospital personnel to determine if they send all of his patients home with a needle. In other words, don't destroy the only evidence you have!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, it does need to be disposed of properly; in a biohazard sharps container!

drcollier,

Now that I think about it, I agree that you should save the needle; it's evidence. You may need to provide proof to whoever you report this to and if you don't have the needle, he will probably deny the accusation and get by with it. In a case like this, you need all the evidence you can get your hands on. They may even talk to the hospital personnel to determine if they send all of his patients home with a needle. In other words, don't destroy the only evidence you have!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, it does need to be disposed of properly; in a biohazard sharps container!

HE HE can you tell I use to work for a medical malpractice attorney ! :biggrin1:

Mindy