Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much Protein do you target?

Myfitnesspal says I should be after 57grams a day, but I'd prefer not to rely on a free app completely for my nutrional advice!

Cheers,

Deano

How much Protein do you target?

Myfitnesspal says I should be after 57grams a day' date=' but I'd prefer not to rely on a free app completely for my nutrional advice!

Cheers,

Deano[/quote']

Hey dean, my NUT said 60-80 grams is ideal. Not sure if this would differ at all for men and women, but she said that because we are losing quickly we need to maintain high levels so we don't lose muscle mass instead of fat. It also helps you keep that long, glossy head of hair you have there, and gives you energy while you're body is using up its fat stores. Hope this helps.

I think it's all really individual and a lot depends on how active you are. I feel better on a high Protein diet, but it has to be one that's balanced with a similar proportion of carbs and fats. I aim for 90 grams of Protein a day. While I'm no athlete (my "loves the gym" trigger didn't get flipped when I had surgery, unfortunately) I do regularly spend long eight to ten hour days on my feet in my kitchen, catering for other folks or running after my kids. I feel best between 75-90 grams and have a noticeable difference in my overall sense of well-being if I dip below that.

It's really up to what you do best on but I know that for me, less than sixty wouldn't be quite enough.

~Cheri

Hey dean, my NUT said 60-80 grams is ideal. Not sure if this would differ at all for men and women, but she said that because we are losing quickly we need to maintain high levels so we don't lose muscle mass instead of fat. It also helps you keep that long, glossy head of hair you have there, and gives you energy while you're body is using up its fat stores. Hope this helps.

Thanks mate. Love the new profile pic btw. Just makes it a bit awkward if I'm reading a post by you and my wife walks into the room! ;) :wub: :P:D

Lookin good!

Deano

Cherie,

What do you use for protien? i sit hard to get that much? Dean I was told 60-80 grams protien a day so I would think 57 is to low. Do you have a nutritionist?

Susan

I was told 65 minimum and the retirements for men are higher than women. You should check with your nutritionist. If you don't have one I'd definitely up it! I'm only 5 days out and I know I'm not getting it all in yet, but I've been adding a scoop of unflavored Protein to all my drinks to help. Good luck!

I still try to drink a shake in the mornings. I still don't like to eat when I first wake up. I usually make it a Protein coffee with two scoops of my Syntrax chocolate Protein and 10 or so ounces of coffee.

Throughout the day I try to get a good mix of Proteins. I have been having trouble with meat lately (pregnancy) but I even try to make the salads I eat have at least some protein. I eat sides and salads with Beans or chickpeas, particularly if I can mix in some good quality grains or even quinoa for an extra boost.

Right now I also consume more than 100 grams of carbs a day but I try to get at least a small amount of protein in with every meal or snack so that I can also hit my protein goals.

It's really not that difficult. Even on days I skip the shake I don't usually run into a problem getting enough protein.

~Cheri

I was told 65 minimum and the retirements for men are higher than women. You should check with your nutritionist. If you don't have one I'd definitely up it! I'm only 5 days out and I know I'm not getting it all in yet, but I've been adding a scoop of unflavored Protein to all my drinks to help. Good luck!

What brand of protein are you using? I heard Unjury unflavored isn't that good that you could taste it. I am really having a hard time getting in my Proteins.< /p>

I'm using Designer whey - Plain & Simple from The Vitamin Shoppe. I thought it smelled when i mixed it but the taste was bearable in my Crystal Light.

My doc's nut says .8g-1g per kg of body weight for men. Fwiw she wants me on more Protein than I have ever hit post op. Although docs and she said if I can hit 100g I'm doing good. I've read online a few places about this topic and some sources quote that .8-1g per kg but some say that kg should be based on your lean body mass, so basically ideal weight. My plan specifically wants my Protein intake based on current body weight and it will decline as I lose weight.

My favorite protein is called trutein and it has whey casein and egg. Today I had a shake made with coffee for first time instead of milk or almond milk. It was excellent.

Thanks for all the info and tips guys. A great help.

Deano