Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Bandsters~November Chat!

Tight??? What's tight? I STILL have little or no restriction! At times I feel a bit, but I have never had restriction to the point of the amount I can eat. It has to be the size of the band. I am so jealous!!!

My interviews went so well that they asked me to come back that same afternoon for further testing! I did a psych test, and anger test and a complete background check. I go on Monday to meet with a psychologist to go over my psych eval. Should be interesting!! I think I have a really good chance at getting this position. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Weight loss is going well. I lost another 3 pounds this week.... and I started my TOM this morning so hopefully I don't gain it all back! My appetite has actually been nearly non-existent today though so maybe that's a good sign!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hey Everyone,

It sounds like you all are doing well. I too am greatful for this thread. It's great to share successes, challenges, and even failures with everyone here who understands what I'm going through.

So......here's what's going on with me:

I am just over 6 months out from surgery (like most of you) and I find myself really struggling. The six month point is where I usually throw in the towel on diets and I got the band so I wouldn't be able to do that. But I am finding that it is no longer easy to make good choices and exercise; it takes a lot of will power to make those choices now.

It's scary to me that I can put weight on very quickly and easily even with the band. I gained about 8 pounds last week on vacation and, although I wasn't making the healthiest of choices, I wasn't making the worst ones either. I guess 8 pounds in a mere 7 days has been a real wake-up call for me. Frankly, it scares the hell out of me!

Right now, even though I am struggling to make good choices, I really am committed to completing this journey and am very proud of how well I've done so far. I am just scared to death that I will wake up one day and be "done" with eating healthy/dieting like I always have before. That of course has always been followed by quickly gaining my weight back.

I figured the band would give me time to work through those feelings and maintain most of my weight loss util I was ready to be committed again. After last week's quick gain I am afraid I don't have that option any longer.

I hate to think I am using my band as a crutch but I guess that's exactly what I am doing with this kind of thinking.

My ultimate goal is to develop a healthy relationship with food so that it does not control me, how I look, or how much I weigh. I guess I still have a lot of work to do on the emotional end. Damn!!!!!! I have never been very good at the emotional stuff.

Thanks for "listening." Any insight would be appreciated.

Linda – I completely understand where you are coming from. Six months later and we are still in this lifestyle change. That in itself is a big change for me. I’ve never lasted that long with any diet before. I am also in a rut with my exercise program right now. I just got adjusted on 11/7, had gone down 4 and now I am back up 3…however it is almost my TOM so I am hoping that is the problem. Whenever I start feeling how you are, look at it this way. Ok, so maybe I am developing some bad habits again, but I am recognizing them more quickly than in the past and I am committed to changing them as opposed to in the past I just adapted to the bad habits and kept on with them. Had I not had the surgery 6 months ago, I’d still be 255, maybe heavier and I would probably gain another 5-10 lbs through the holiday season. Another thing we have to realize is that the band is our tool to success but it can’t change all of our bad habits. The band forced me to change some of my habits whether I was ready to or not (like eating bready stuff, etc). Some habits are still up to me and as long as I am committed to changing them, that is all I can do. It won’t happen overnight and there are going to be times when I relapse because I am only human, but I will get past them because I have my band working with me! We are all works in progress and I must say, we are all doing a DAMN good job! We all deserve a pat on the back! J

On that note, I will have my pics up by this weekend hopefully and I am would love to see everyone else’s. How is everyone going to cope with Thanksgiving this year?

Well folks tomorrow is the day.:) I go in for a barium swallow and hopefully my slip will have corrected.

The literature that my fill center gave me states "It is believed that vomiting is the biggest cause of a slip". :phanvan

I did have a moment of enlightment:faint: the other night at 2:00 in the morning when I remembered having an episode of dry heaves one night. I remembered thinking to myself I hope I don't get a slip from this. That was the same weekend I went on the soft foods for my dental work.

So we shall see what the next step is in this journey.

But I have lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks since I have been on liquids again.:nervous

Congrats to all those who made their turkey goals.:clap2:

For the rest of us we'll just keep plugging.:)

I went for another fill today. I lost 8 lbs in the past month. Yeah! I am now at 9.5cc in my 12cc band. I am really hoping for the Portion Control I have been seeking. And just before the holidays is great! Now if I can just stay away from the sweets!

I'm not going to make my 20 lbs by Thanksgiving but half way is better than a gain! We'll see where we end up officially on Thursday. Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone,

Boy, I keep loosing this thread.......(maybe thats why they call it thread?? lol).

Cherg...I was banded May 22 also. Dr Jayaseelen, Medical City in Dallas.

Myra, please keep us posted on your slippage progress.

My 6 month anniversary in 2 days! wow.

I go in for my 3rd fill Jan 10th. Hopefully all will be well and I will be able to get a fill this time. In the meantime, I am preparing for the trip of a life time..(mine anyway :) I am going to Cambodia for 12 days...leaving on 11/29. Church mission trip. I am scared silly...not about the trip itself...about the 28 hour flight to get there! )

I hate flying anyway...they make those seats for 100 lb plastic crash test dummies I think...not real live ppl with hips, knees and elbows.

I don't think my diet will be a problem...I am hoping that I can maintain and be ok. I am taking a stash of Protein bars and Atkins drinks for emergencies. I have NO idea of the food situation while there.

I will be gone for almost 2 weeks. I get back just 14 days before Christmas so Dec is kind of zoooming at the speed of light.

Can I participate if ya'll have a January challenge? It sounds like fun.

Missy

Linda! Hang in there. The fact that you realize what your obstacles are and are ready to face them means you've come a long way in 6 months. I find everytime I have a fill, it re-emphasizes my choice and why I must stick with the program to reach my goal. You can do it Linda! We all can!

Myra, I hope your flouro went well. Let us know how it came out.

Missy, that sounds like a cool trip! My supervisor partner goes to Haiti every couple of years with his church and he says it is so worth it, to be able to help people that have nothing. Living here in the US you don't realize how badly many people in other countries live. I know you will make a difference. ((((((HUG))))))

OK -- I have a question for everyone. Does anyone have/had problems drinking ice Water after a fill? Ever since my last fill, I puke every time I try to drink anything cold. It's like instantly......swallow swallow- PUKE! I just don't get it. Anything warm or hot is fine, most food is fine as long as I eat small bites and eat them slowly, but cold Water, cold milk, cold juice.......I feel like a bulimic! I love cold drinks and now I can't have them. Thank goodness it's winter up here now and I don't HAVE to drink anything cold. But hot tea gets old after a while and I'm still thirsty! So I drink warm water. Yeck.......

As for the Turkey Take-off, I am on my way to my daughter's in Atlanta. I'm going to have to weigh on her scale. Before I left, I had lost another 2 lbs. I don't think I'll make the 20 lbs, but I'm sure I will be over 15 lbs gone. Since I have my laptop with me (never go anywhere with out it) I should be able to post some Thanksgiving pictures. As for how I'm going to handle TG, getting a fill last week has made that no problem.

Myra – Good luck with your barium swallow. Keep us posted! I wish you the best.

Marz – keep us posted on your fill – hopefully this one hit the sweet spot.

Missy – Your trip sounds awesome. I have not been on a mission trip since high school. You will be in my prayers.

Marci – I don’t puke after drinking something cold but it is harder for me to get it down. My doctor told me to start out with hot tea to loosen the mucus from the pouch and open it up well. Then drink Water, etc. Do you start out with something hot and then switch to something cold? Just a thought if you haven’t tried it. Maybe your pouch is just a little stubborn and needs coaxing to handle colder drinks.

I am officially 2 weeks out from my last fill and I am freaking out. I started out around 192 and by the first week was down to 188. I weighed yesterday and I was 192 and today I am 194. My TOM is upcoming but I have never gained that much. I just don’t get it. I have great restriction and I was thinking I might need to increase my calories more because I may not be getting enough to lose. I am chugging Water this morning, hoping it is all water weight and will just be flushed out with enough peeing!

Is there a January challenge? I didn’t get on in time for the Turkey Take Off. If we don’t have one, is everyone game for doing one after Thanksgiving?

Oh yeah, major NSV to report. I went to Old Navy on Sunday and bought a pair of size 14 jeans! WAHOO! My bottom half is finally catching up with my top half!

Hello All, I would really like to be a part of this thread since I was banded this past may, may22nd to be exact.

I started at 215 and am down to 178.5. I was banded where I live and work in New Jersey.

Have a Great Day

Cheryl

Hi Cherg, May 22 is my bandiversary too!!!

Marz, how are you feeling now? 24 hours post fill? Any difference?

Keep us posted. I am eager to hear how its going. I have the larger band also. My VG holds 13cc. I'm at 9cc right now. I would LOVE to get restriction with only 1 or 2 more cc. Because right now... I feel like I have none.

I have an appointment Jan 10th for a fill. When I called 2 weeks ago, that was the soonest available appt!! I can't wait!!

Good luck everyone.

Alicia & Marci - Thanks for the encouragement!

I got a much needed fill last week and all of my vacation weight has come off. I am 4 pounds from my Turkey Take-Off goal of 233. Hopefull I can get another 2 of that off by Thursday.

I have switched from deep Water aerobics to swimming laps. I have done something to my shoulder that aerobics really irritates but swimming (back stroke and front crawl) don't. I am amazed at how much stamina I now have in the Water. This morning I swam for 50 minutes. When I first started this journey, I would be gasping for breath after 1 lap.

I hope everyone enjoy's their Thanksgiving!

Wow! Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Myra.... my thoughts are with you. Let us know how your barium swallow goes.

cherg..... Welcome!

Alicia... I know exactly how you feel! My weight bounces around like crazy. I just finished my TOM so hopefully I get to losing again. I am getting back into the gym this week, I went last night and did the treadmill for 30 minutes on a pretty serious program that had inclines up to 11! I was sweating pretty good after that! I think I am going to start alternating cardio one day and weights the next. I'm hoping that mixing it up a bit gets me moving again.

Duckie.... I haven't noticed any issues with cold drinks for me... but lately nothing would suprise me. I got stuck a few times this weekend. I need to remember to SLOW DOWN!!

Missy... If you got to "Quick Links" and look for "Subscribed Threads" and scroll down you will find us! You can find any thread you have posted on that way. Don't lose us!!

I went for yet another interview for the job I hope to get yesterday. I met with the psychologist for an eval... hopefully she dosen't think I'm crazy!! I hope to hear something soon!

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving or not. The food part dosen't really bother me, I'm not a huge fan of traditional Thanksgiving fare anyway. I am going to try to find a healthier recipie for pumpkin pie (my fave thing about T-giving!). We go to my hubby's parents for dinner and all of us could stand to eat a lot healthier. My MIL is doing Slim for Life and has lost about 35 pounds so far, She looks great! One strange thing though.... we were talking last night and I was getting ready to go to the gym and I asked her what she is doing for excercise. She said that her advisor dosen't recommend that she excercise because her caloric intake is so low that it isn't safe. WTF???? That sounds odd to me. How is she going to get healthy and keep the weight off without excercise?

Have a happy and safe turkey day!

For a January challenge, it was mentioned by jcbydesign on the old Oct thread that we call it "I HAVE A DREAM" in honor of MLK's birthday. This can be our DREAM! I know few of us are going to make our 20lb Turkey Take Off, but 15lbs by Jan 15th seems pretty reasonable. That gives us almost 8 weeks if we offically start on Friday. Who's with me!?! Set your own goal if 15 is too much.

Welcome Cherg!

My fill yesterday has kept me feeling satisfied longer. I ate a Banquet Potpie for lunch and it was almost 7 last night before I felt hungry again. Which is good, but I don't know if it has helped with the portion size like I am hoping for. I just haven't had the chance to test it yet. Thanks all for the encouragement.

Congrats Alicia on your bottom catching up with the top! I keep praying that will happen with me. I carry my weight so concentrated around my middle that I think it will never go away. My pants are all loose in the waist but still really tight just below the waist. Pleated pants help alot. I hate being so mis-shapen!