Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Bandsters~November Chat!

Hey everyone! Drews, tell your MIL congrats! Myra, hope everything is going good with your band.....it sounds scary........:)

This last week was a bad week for me. Lots of problems at work that caused me to stress eat. AND drink more diet coke than I've been allowing myself. I'm on my 7 off (12 hr schedules give you LOTS of time off. :clap2: ) and I'm hoping to get back on track. I didn't lose anything this week, but at least I didn't gain.

3rd fill next week. I'm hoping it will get me thru Thanksgiving with a loss instead of a gain. That would be a great thing!:)

I need to do pictures for the 6 month anniversary. I lost the camera for a bit, my DH found it in his toolbox.:) :) :) So all I need to do is charge the battery.

I went to a Christmas party last weekend and I had ordered size 18 pants and top from Cold Water Creek. The top fit perfect but as we were dancing, my pants kept trying to fall off!:faint: By the time we quit dance, we were both laughing so hard I almost fell down. I think those pants are destined for the give away pile. I have another Christmas party to go to on Dec. 2. I think I will do a bit of shopping while we are in Atlanta visiting my oldest over Thanksgiving and see if I can find some pants that fit and won't fall off when we are boogying around the floor. I guess it's really quit the NSV that I can actually DANCE with out feeling like dying. Of course, trying to keep your pants up so your co-workers don't see your butt was a pretty good NSV too!:)

Wow, I finally found you guys! I just got back from a week of vacation in So. Cal. and I don't have time to catch up on posts right now but I will in the next couple of days. I just wanted to let you all know that I am still out here.

A funny thing happened tonight when I went for my usual walk. I walk after the sun sets, not by choice but because that's when I have time. The street lights cast a shadow as I pass them and you know what? I don't recognize the shadow!!! I'm not the same silhouette I was 6 months ago! It was almost kind of eerie thinking it was someone other than ME. I haven't had that unknown reflection in the mirror yet, I still see me there.

I find it interesting that people know something is different about me but they can't quite figure it out. I work retail and see a lot of the same customers, they make comments all the time about my hair, (did you get your hair cut?) my eyes (did you get contacts or have laser surgery?) It is almost as if they are afraid to ask an overweight person HAVE YOU LOST WEIGHT? Anyone else feel like they should wear a badge that says, YES, I LOST WEIGHT, NOW QUIT GIVING ME CHEESY COMPLIMENTS ABOUT MY OTHER FEATURES.

Marz, that's funny! I saw a guy I used to work with at the post office the other day. We were catching up on old news when he stopped and looked at me.....really looked at me! And says, "geez, Marci, you look great! I mean, really great! What have you done to yourself?"

He couldn't figure out that I had lost weight. When I told him how much weight I had lost, he could stop telling me how great I looked and how great it was that I had lost that much weight.

I told my DH about it and he told me, yes! You look like you've lost tons of weight....quit doubting yourself! Enjoy the compliments."

That's been the hardest part. People compliment me on my loss, but I always tell them how much more I have to lose. Maybe I need to quit doing that.

Hello everyone,

I was also banded in may 2006.

Dr Jayaseelen at Medical City Dallas texas.

Ya'll seem to be doing well.

I find myself in the "slow loser" catagory, but I'm trying hard to stay positive and proactive in my diet.

I feel like I need a fill, but the doctor would not give me my last one, because he said I had lost 8 lbs in 2 months and that was plenty, as my goal plan is 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week.

The problem is, the majority of my weight loss occurred post fill during the week of liquid dieting.

This was back at the end of Sept. I am hoping to get another fill the week after thanksgiving. I have lost 5lbs from sept 20th to today.

I feel i am able to eat much to large portions to reach feeling full.

Welcome back Linda, I was wondering where you were!

I know what you guys mean about people's reactions to my weight loss.. I find it falls into three categories: 1. people completely don't act like that they can tell that I've lost 75 lbs and I later find out that they told someone else who told me that they couldn't believe how great I look and how much weight I've lost. 2. People, especially my co-workers that tell me on a daily basis how "skinny" I'm getting, and that I'm "melting away before their eyes", and 3. People who are like... there is something soo different about you, did you change your hair? All responses bring a smile to my face and encourage me to work my band even harder...

After having dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks after my last fill, I haven't lost anything yet this week. I figure my body is still trying to sort everything out. I'm still trying to get in more than 1000 calories a day. Since this fill, it takes a lot longer to drink Water, so I gotta try to get more down... Still working out hard! I gotta drop 4 more pounds between now and Thanksgiving to meet my Turkey Take off goal, and that might be a little tough to do, but we'll see..

Welcome to the May Bandster MissyC! Just remember, even if the weight los is slow, its a LOSS!! If you think you need a fill, go for it! May I suggest early December? That way you can eat a nice Thanksgiving meal, and should be back to normal eating before Christmas rolls around. Good Luck and please stay in touch with us Maysters!

Have a great day everyone!

Hey Maysters!!

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Linda... welcome back! Glad you found us again!

Kim.... sounds like you are doing great girl. I haven't lost anything yet this week either but I have dropped 11 pounds since my port surgery Nov 2 so I can't complain!

MissyC.... Welcome to the May group! Glad you found us!!

So I went to a real live support group meeting last night. It was very interesting. I was kind of shocked at how little some people knew about the surgery they HAD ALREADY HAD. Everyone there had been banded for at least a few months, one for a year and a half. They had no concept of what the band is even made of! One lady asked me if it was painful when my tubing was leaking SILICONE into my body. I said well ummm.... actaully the band is MADE of silicone but is filled with saline and that won't hurt you. People were really suprised that I count my calories and excercise regularly. Of everyone there I have lost the most weight and the most percentage of body mass. I kept hearing them talk about how they PB everyday and they think that is totally normal. They couldn't understand why they aren't losing weight. I got the impression that they thought the band was a magic bullet that was going to require no effort on their part and the weight would just drop off. I had to keep myself in check so I didn't sit there with my mouth hanging open in awe. By no means do I consider myself an expert on the band but I sure made sure I knew what I was getting into before I had a major surgery done to change myself.

I am going for my second set of interviews for the new job I hope to get this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Have a great day!

Wow Drews - I'm with you, I'm still amazed at people that have the band and aren't better informed. I have to admit that I learned A LOT from this site, but the Weight Management Program that I went through for my surgery really prepares people. Every time I go for an appointment I'm bombarded with information both verbally and on hand-outs, they are really into educating us patients on what we should or souldn't be doing, experiencing, etc. I feel bad for people who don't have that support system.

GOOD LUCK ON THE INTERVIEW! I'll think positive thoughts for you this after noon!

People were really suprised that I count my calories and excercise regularly. Of everyone there I have lost the most weight and the most percentage of body mass. I kept hearing them talk about how they PB everyday and they think that is totally normal. They couldn't understand why they aren't losing weight. I got the impression that they thought the band was a magic bullet that was going to require no effort on their part and the weight would just drop off.

Drews -- I think there is a big misconception out there that any WLS is a magic bullet. Even after people have the surgery!!!! :) :peep: What do thier surgeons tell them before the surgery??????:paranoid I had to go to classes, go over and over and over.....and over.....what would happen during surgery and after surgery, sign a contract that promised I would exercise (which I haven't been doing well with lately:phanvan ), have regular phone conversations with my patient advocate......

How could these people not know? Do they just choose not to listen?

On a lighter note -- Good luck on your job interview~ I'll think happy, job-getting thoughts for you!:clap2:

Hi Maysters,

Marci – Dancing is a great NSV! I also will automatically tell people how much I have left to lose when they compliment me too.

Marz – that is really cool about the shadow – I hadn’t even thought about that.

Missy – a loss is better than a gain! 37 lbs down is great!

Linda – Glad to have you back!

Kim – I completely understand about the Water. It’s hard for me to get it all in now. I also find that I usually have a good drop the first week or two after a fill and then plateau for the rest of the month. You are doing great though!

Drews- Great weightloss since your port replacement! Good luck on the interview. I, like you, am amazed at how little the patients at my doctor’s office know about their band. I am running into people that are 1 year post op and have only lost half the weight I have. I have also gotten the impression that these folks expected the band to do all the work and they also do not exercise. I may go to a support group soon too.

I have a little bit of a rough time lately. I have been feeling icky for several weeks now. I have not felt like working out and I have been going to bed really early. Starting the end of last week I starting running a fever around 5pm and it would break around 10pm. Well, me being stubborn, just dealt with it. Since I had no symptoms other than fatigue, I just ignored it. I got my 3rd adjustment last week so I thought my fatigue might be due to my liquid diet. Finally, on Monday I went to the doctor and I have bronchitis, which my son actually got diagnosed with last week too. I found it odd because I always thought some of the main symptoms of bronchitis are coughing and chest rattling. My doctor told me my lungs sounded like a smokers and I do not and never have smoked. So I got some meds and now I am trying to fight this infection. I am back at work today. I am feeling better but I get winded just getting up to use the restroom.

I plan on getting some pics on here this week. I am 3.4 lbs away from my next goal – I’d like to be there by Turkey Day!

On a different note, have any of you had to handle people saying, you took the easy way out? Here recently a few friends/coworkers have made comments about the lap-band being the easy way out. I really had to bite my tongue and rather than going off or preaching a sermon. I just said it wasn’t the easy way out because I work far more now than I ever have to lose weight but that the band has been a tool to help me. Sorry for the lengthy post!

Drews - I am with you. I had to wait last week for my fill and the office was full because the doctor got held up in surgery. I heard several people say that they didn't understand why they weren't loosing weight and the band wasn't working very well because they could still eat anything they wanted. I kept thinking to myself that just because you can doesn't mean you should. Good luck with your interview. I started my job last week after being out of work for 2 months and I know how nerv racking it can be. Kepp us informed of how it went

Drews -- I think there is a big misconception out there that any WLS is a magic bullet. Even after people have the surgery!!!! :( :( What do thier surgeons tell them before the surgery??????:paranoid I had to go to classes, go over and over and over.....and over.....what would happen during surgery and after surgery, sign a contract that promised I would exercise (which I haven't been doing well with lately:phanvan ), have regular phone conversations with my patient advocate......

How could these people not know? Do they just choose not to listen?

On a lighter note -- Good luck on your job interview~ I'll think happy, job-getting thoughts for you!:clap2:

Hi everyone,

Its so nice to meet you all.

I can totally see how some people are so hugely uninformed.

My doctors offices was like a cattle branding....move em in...move em out. I rec'd essentially NO helpful information from them.

They didn't question my knowledge base. I wasn't required to see a dietitician, a psych or therapist consult or anything. I have NEVER had a follow up call from an advocate. I only saw the doctor for about 5 minutes the week before the surgery. I am STILL upset about surgery day...I never saw the doctor the day of surgery...he was a phantom doctor. My family and I kept waiting for him to follow up in the recovery room or something. He never did...I never even saw him that day. The office did call 1 time about 3 days post-op to check on me. I saw a Physicans assistant on my first follow up visit. She asked, are you eating white bread or meat? And that was IT!!! So while they were all polite, nice and all....Sadly lacking in making sure they're patients know whats going on.

They were nice enough, but offered no support or information. This doctor came highly recommended by the way, and was written up in TEXAS monthly as a top 5 bariatric surgeon in texas.

Fortunately, I am 45, a nurse and a internet hound. I researched , read and prayed for a year before I ever called for an appointment and started the pre-surgery process. I had never had surgery before, and I was TERRIFIED of anesthesia. So I made sure I was well informed about what it was all about.

Plus I had the advantage of my mother being banded in 0ct 2001.

she is a great resource for me. (Even tho her band is totally different..another story).

But anyway, I can see how some people would be ignorant of the whole process, and not have an idea what to expect or what questions to even ask.

My cynical side is always amazed at peoples lack of "common sense." I can't imagine having surgery and not getting myself informed. I did not rely on other's to inform me...I asked questions and educated myself.

Sorry I've written a book here....just thought I'd share my experiences. Even tho my wt loss is very slow compared to some, and I struggle to stay on track, it is most often due to my lack of will power, not lack of information.

It is great to find this thread and compare journey notes with people on the same timeline as myself.

Hope every one has a great holiday. :hungry:

Welcome Missy! Don't beat yourself up about your small weight loss. It will happen for you. And I truly don't know how I could have done it without this thread. I know there are very few people who still post here that started out with us last May, (there was about 100) but we have all encouraged each other, we have given help to one another when it was needed, we have given ear when frustration and griping needed venting, prayer when asked, and we have compared notes and advice to help us in our journey. Not all of us can make it to local support group meetings or have a confidante to rely on. So, this is it! I have learned more here than anywhere else, including the doctor, not that I'm putting down my doctor, I love him, but this is usually practical info, day to day issues that the doctor doesn't always get to because it is so different for everyone. Having this surgery is like having a baby. We all had the surgery(baby) but we all have different stories(labors). (Sorry Ousooner and Mr 3 Loaves, I don't mean to exclude you in the comparison). Anyway, I hope you get a lot out of the chat and maybe find some info to get you going. Best wishes to you and God Bless!

Got my third fill yesterday...... .75 cc's ....... and it's a doozy! Dr. Fermilia did it this time and he is much more aggressive than Dr. Parnell. He also got into the port in one poke! Yeah, Dr. Fermilia!!!!blush.gif

The way I ended up with .75 cc's is he put in .5 and had me drink the barium - no restriction. He then put in 1 cc and I drank the barium - complete block!awake.gif So then he took out a bit down to .75 - good restriction!!chipper.gif That's the benefit of doing the fills under Flouro. It's really cool to be able to watch the screen while they are testing me so I know excactly what is going on.

Today, I definitely feel restriction. I'm going to have to go back to REALLY following the rules or else I will suffer. And I don't want to suffer.blah.gif So I'm sitting here sipping my Water before I go drink a Slimfast. I've found Slimfast to be the easiest when I'm on liquids. That and V8. I LOVE V8! And it's good for you and it's a good liquid. I think when I go back to solids this weekend I will have to be very, very careful. This is the tightest I've been since my first fill.