Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New with Questions

Hi,

I love this site. I have gotten so much helpful information and I thank you all.

I have two questions about surgery. My date is Feb 11. Yesterday I went to the pre-op class and I am starting to have cold feet. First of all I have 50-60 lbs to lose. I was approvved for surgery because of co-morbidities. I was approved the first time it was submitted. I would like to be free from my food addiction and the way it rules my life. On the other hand, I fear losing "the food" Does that make sense?

I also wonder why I just cant lose this weight on my own? do I go through all of this for 50 lbs. mind you that is 50 lbs that has been 100 lbs and I have never been able to lose entirely. And I am tired of carrying it around. Silly??

Secondly, I had the bright idea to join a gym prior to surgery. ( I thought it would help recovery) Now i am sore and hurting and I wonder if I should continue..

Any recommendations?

Thank you all for being here

Susan

I had been about 75 lbs overweight for more than 20 years and could never keep the weight off. In the past 5 years, I gained another 100 lbs and this past Thanksgiving, I realized that my food addiction was never going to get better without help. I wish I had had the surgery 10 years ago. The lack of that almost constant nagging sensation to eat is gone and I couldn't be happier. So I don't think that you should feel silly about getting help to lose the last 50 lbs.

I can totally relate to the fear losing "the food". I had a little panic attack a week or so pre-op about being afraid that I wouldn't be able to eat as much after surgery. Then I realized how silly I sounded to myself and told myself, "That's the whole point of the surgery!" I felt nervous right up to the time they knocked me out for surgery. I was laying in the surgery waiting room and was thinking,"What would happen if I just got up and walked out right now?" But I was committed to my path. It's been 21 days post-op and I don't regret anything I've gone through pre or post-surgery.

I would think that unless your doctor tells you not to exercise, that it can only be a benefit. I'd think you'd have more lean muscle mass after surgery and being in better shape, you'd have a quicker recovery.

Sue, is everyday a struggle?? Hard to eat/choose wisely?? Tired of dealing hunger?? Well, guess what...the sleeve cures all of this!! Yes, I struggled with feeling like a failure (couldn't do it on my own without surgery), but when success follows the procedure, all those feelings diminish. What you are feeling is completely normal, don't judge yourself so harshly.

I wouldn't really say the sleeve cures everything.. When they say its a tool they speak the truth!

You still get hungry a little. But you can still eat crappy if you want to , it doesn't cure that . You have to make the choice to eat better which is easier said than done.

My experience is that food is a hormonal response. When the hungar hormone was taken out with my stomach I lost majority of the urge to eat. It's kinda like the difference in sex hormones. I had a totally different reaction towards a good looking men as a hormone raging teen then I did as a postpartum new mom recovering from child birth. Now when I see food I have very little reaction to it. My hungar hormones are totally in control.

But you have to really want this. No going back. Thank God. I haven't ever gotten up in the morning sad I couldn't eat donuts with my girls. Instead I get up grateful that my feet no longer hurt, and that I have a ton of energy. I don't miss one pound of the 58 that I have lost

Thank you so much for your responses. It really helps. Almost like you can read my mind. I am committed and I want to be healthy. I hope to us the sleeve as a tool to guide me. Thanks Again

I had a few minutes of thinking about "not" being able to eat "normal" anymore. But then I realized, I obviously don't eat normal or I wouldn't be this big. And if I still want to taste a certain food, I CAN! I do agree with the other person who stated that this is a TOOL though. We have to make better choices for our health. It has been a great tool!! Makes it so much easier!! And like GingerRN, my knees and feet THANK ME EVERY DAY!! Even my work outs are so much easier now.....putting my shoes on is easier. LIFE is easier..........very happy customer with my new tool.

My surgery was on 01-14-13. I am recovering and anxious to get past this painful part. I think exercising is the best thing you can do before surgery- because it helps to regulate all your systems. Good luck to you with your decision.

I am having my surgery on Feb.14 and I am nervouse. I have been doing a liver clense for the past week and it has been hard. But the hump has arrived and I am moving over it. I have already lost 7 pounds and still going. I know you can do it. We can do anything for a month out of our lives. This will help us prepare for our new life that is to come. Stay focused and just keep reminding yourself that you can do it one day at a time.

Thanks for the responses. How true they all are. I never could eat "normally" and I cant wait to see how it feels. I suppose being nervous is normal. I still feel this is my best chance for a new life and to break my addiction to food. It seems we are all dysfuctional in our relationship with food. That is why you can all relate to what I am saying This is true if one has to lose 50 or 200 lbs. The core feelings are the same. I hate being in this position but glad to have such great company to support me.