Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does this not slow down our metabolism?

I know this is going to work in the log run but the MyFitnessPal app says based on my calories I will not lose because my body is not consuming enough calories (1st week 300-500 calories) and my body will go into starvation mode and slow down my metabolism. So how does this surgery stop this? I am also really dizzy today. Typing is difficult and blurry. I don't know how to remedy this- if it's calories or my anemia. I have been drinking water... Anyone have any info??

From what I understand.....and I am no expert.....but after surgery (I am 7 weeks post op) your body will get the additional calories from the fat we have been storing. Once you level out then you will require more food in to maintain your own calorie intake. Immediately after surgery, however you have plenty of calories in your fat storage to sustain you.....the only focus really is on liquid to stay hydrated and some Protein so your body will eat fat and not muscle.....hope this helps?!!?

Most people do experience their body going into starvation mode and gain a little weight in the first few weeks while you are training and healing your new stomach. This will pass as your calorie intake goes up. To help your metabolism make sure you get your Protein in, get your fluids in and take your Vitamins and supplements. The dizziness should go away soon but watch your bp to make sure that is not the problem.

Hey. Nurse here, not that this is medical advice because it is NOT but I want to tell you...

"Starvation mode" as we know it is a myth. I would sit here and explain it but someone else already did a fantastic job over at my fitness pal so I'm just going to link you there and a few other articles to read if you are interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again

A shorter and more to the point read

http://www.outlawfitnesshq.com/is-starvation-mode-a-myth

Weight Watchers even has something to say about the topic

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

Hey. Nurse here, not that this is medical advice because it is NOT but I want to tell you...

"Starvation mode" as we know it is a myth. I would sit here and explain it but someone else already did a fantastic job over at my fitness pal so I'm just going to link you there and a few other articles to read if you are interested.

http://www.myfitness...mode-myth-again

A shorter and more to the point read

http://www.outlawfit...ion-mode-a-myth

Weight Watchers even has something to say about the topic

http://www.weightwat...=1&art_id=35501

Thank you for sharing! :)

Severe calorie restriction will slow our metabolisms temporarily, but it won't shut them down! I don't have the reference here in front of me but I believe that the slow down can be as much as 10% in some people. That's a lot different than "completely shutting down your metabolism" as people would lead you to believe. I have read and I don't know how true this one is... that the slow down continues to last half as long again as the length of time you were restricting calories. That's why it's important to be very controlled when increasing your calories. Also, the more weight you have to lose the less you can eat because we have TONS of fuel just waiting to be converted into energy!