Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At the end of my dieting Rope!!!

I am 30 and a mother of 2 wonderful boys who is at the end of their dieting rope! so please if anyone has advice about the banding I want all I can get...The good and the not so good.....:nervous Thanks

Hi and welcome to LBT! I would start by going directly to Inamed's website at http://www.lapband.com/lapband/portal.do and find a surgeon in your area that does lapbands. Next, go to one of their seminars. If possible, take your significant other with you because the more informed he is, the more supportive he will be if you decide to have the surgery.

Next, you have made a wonderful start by finding this site. It is loaded with tons of great information. I always recommend reading the "stickies" at the top of most of the forums. They are loaded with valuable information.

Lastly, ask questions, lots of them. We have all been where you are at one point or another and are here to help and support each other.

I can personally tell you that I think I tried every diet known to mankind. The band was my last hope and I love it. I no longer diet, I don't count calories, points, carbs or anything else. I just listen to my band and when it tells me I have had enough to eat, I stop. I am losing the recommended 1-2 pounds per week and thrilled with my decision.

If I can be of any other help, let me know.

Thanks so much for the encouragement..... The one thing I can say is that my family and hubby are behind me 100% Thank God for that ! I found a doc in my area that will do it for 12,800. I will be self paying ...Stupid Insurance anyway... signed up for seminar on the 20th...Thanks again for your advice....:o

Just one more thought - check out your doc with previous patients. I understand about self pay - but seriously - the difference between $12,800 and $15k is really vary small in comparison to the difference between a competent surgeon and a not so competent one.

The skill of your surgeon could save your life - and money pales in comparison to a happy successful future. If you find at least 3-5 patients who tell you that your doc is the best thing since sliced bread - then go for the cheap one - but don't base your decision on price alone. Surgery is no place to shop for "factory seconds".

Best of luck!! I love my band. I love it, I love it, I love it.

:]

Good advice about checking out more expensive Dr.'s too...I found a Dr. in my city that would do the surgery for $4,000 less that the surgeon I decided to go to. However, fills are much more expensive, he only gives one fill for free after surgery, basically...LOTS of hidden costs.

The surgeon I am going to costs more, is about 4 hours away, but has an awesome track record. He also gives you a year of free fills. The best part is he has his own surgery center...so any complications..slipped band, leaks, etc...he fixes for free. I will have to pay for anasthetic...but that is all. That is a very comforting feeling since I am self pay...defnitely worth the extra $4,000.