Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to put in Quotes

Some people have asked me how to use quotes in a thread:

For the rest of my posts in this thread, whenever you read a < it means to type a [ and a > means to type a ]

I will use quotation marks to show what I am talking about, but you would not actually copy the quotation marks (unless they were there and you wanted them in the quote.

If I put what I actually wanted you to write you would not see what you need to type:

Example: In a post I write "I think BuSh is a terrible President" along with about 3 or 4 paragraphs of other writing, and you want to debate that point.

You can copy "I think BuSh is a terrible President" by highlighting it and then holding the "CTRL" key down and tapping the "C" key.

Then hit the "Post Reply" button.

When the box comes up write <quote=TOM> and then hold the "CTRL" key down and tap the "C" key which will make "I think BuSh is a terrible President" appear right after the <quote=TOM> and then type </quote>.

That will show up as

I think BuSh is a terrible President

Some people have asked me how to use quotes in a thread:

For the rest of my posts in this thread, whenever you read a < it means to type a [ and a > means to type a ]

I will use quotation marks to show what I am talking about, but you would not actually copy the quotation marks (unless they were there and you wanted them in the quote.

If I put what I actually wanted you to write you would not see what you need to type:

Example: In a post I write "I think BuSh is a terrible President" along with about 3 or 4 paragraphs of other writing, and you want to debate that point.

You can copy "I think BuSh is a terrible President" by highlighting it and then holding the "CTRL" key down and tapping the "C" key.

Then hit the "Post Reply" button.

When the box comes up write <quote=TOM> and then hold the "CTRL" key down and tap the "C" key which will make "I think BuSh is a terrible President" appear right after the <quote=TOM> and then type </quote>.

That will show up as

What you see above what I am typing now is what happens when you hit the "Quote" button on the lower right. Another way to quote the "I think BuSh is a terrible President" would be to hit the "Quote" Button and the delete everything but <quote=Tired_Old_Man;325415>"I think BuSh is a terrible President"</quote>

If you hit the "Quote" Button and the delete everything but <quote=Tired_Old_Man>"I think BuSh is a terrible President"</quote> you will get

I think BuSh is a terrible President

The difference is you deleted that number after "Tired_Old_Man,"

That number is used for taking a reader back to the whole post that the quote came from.

If you want a quote inside of a quote, you can write:

<quote=Tom><quote=BuSh>I am not a Terrible President</quote>Then why are people making so many jokes about you?</quote>I was surprised that he asked that.

and you will get

I am not a Terrible President
Then why are people making so many jokes about you?
I was surprised that he asked that.

Or just [ quote ] and [ /quote ] to omit the original poster.

Note I am using < for [ and > for ] when I give instructions.

Wheetsin used a space after her "[" as in "[(space)/quote]"

<quote=Tired_Old_Man;325423>

The difference is you deleted that number after

But apparently you didn't delete the number, but deleted the </quote> at the end.

We can write:

"["quote"]"Do you get it now"["/quote"]"

or

[ quote]"Do you get it now"[ /quote]

or

<quote>"Do you get it now"</quote>

to symbolize

"Do you get it now"
But if we write it, you will not see it.
"Do you get it now"

Do you want to see something that will blow your mind?

"Right Click" in the middle of the white space of this post and then select "View Source" by "Left Clicking" on it.

The page that will open will be the code (that makes up this thread) that your computer turns into what you actually see.

Then go back to this thread and highlight a sentence or clause of about 5 or 6 words and copy the clause (CTRL-C).

Go to the source page that you opened and hit CTRL-F (hold down the CTRL key and tap the "F" key). in the box that appears hit CTRL-V and then ok (or Enter), the words you had highlighted on the thread will then be highlighted on that source page.

KOOL

Ain't it?

I've been writing that gibberish for 13 years. You develop a weird sort of fluency with it. I can look at pages and pages of gibberish like that, and "see" what it looks like on the screen. And vice-versa - I can look at the end result, and "see" what's behind it. Like that moment when you hit real flunecy with a foreign language, and you finally just "hear" what's being said, instead of having to make the translations.

I'm a geek. :)

Kool dude! Thanks for the info but I as you can tell do not spend a whole lot of time on this kind of stuff.

But is interesting to know and also it takes the mystery out of it.

It is not magic. It is logic and science

Many things in our lives are presented to us in values that are false, but because we do not know enough about the truth or validity of the subject, we are resigned to believing what is told to us.

Knowledge is power.