Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insomnia has been a horrific problem since my surgery. I searched high and low. I talked to my surgeon, my GP, my sleep doctor, and my GYN only to get only suggestions of drugs to take. When I googled insomnia I found one reference to low carb diets. So I googled insomnia/low carb diets and literally hundreds of references came up. After reading all the reputable sites, it appears the reason many sleevers have insomnia issues has to do with the lack of serotonin produced by low carb diets. That serotonin in return is needed for the body to produce melatonin.

So I sat down and tried to come up with a schedule for meals and Snacks that takes into account the guidelines given by my NUT. The math does not add up. There is no way to get the required amount of Protein, Water, and calories in an average 16 hour waking day. I have to change something. Either I lower my Protein intake so I can consume more carbs (i.e. veggies) and Water. Or, I stick with what I have been doing which is to get my protein in but not enough water and continue suffering with Insomnia.

I was given samples by my sleep doc of sleep aids to try but because I have a Migraine disorder, I have not found any I can tolerate. If you have a thyroid problem, you should not take melatonin. The purpose of me doing this procedure was to alleviate medical problems and lesson the amount of medications I need. I feel however, I am just replacing one problem with a different one. . . one medication for another one.

I know how you feel, I don't fall asleep until 6am and then I end up sleeping all day. My body won't let me sleep at night. I feel like my high blood pressure is gone but now I have acid reflux and insomnia. So I gave up one med and gained two, ugh.

I did a little internet research because I wasnt aware of this since I have no problem sleeping.

Here are some ways you can wind down, naturally.

* Turn down the lights. Numerous studies have shown how sensitive the human eye is to light. Get room-darkening shades, get an eye mask, whatever it takes.

* Muffle all sounds. If there is a noise problem, get one of those ocean-sound CDs. They really do work.

* Set a nighttime routine. Take a bath, have a warm no-caffeine drink, read a story. Whatever your routine is, keep doing it each night.

* Avoid caffeine from 6pm onward. Caffeine has a long term effect on your body.

Lack of sleep also triggers the hormones ghrelin and leptin, which makes you overly hungry in the morning. Some studies have shown that people who do not get enough sleep eat up to 1000 extra calories the next day!

My wife always goes to sleep at least 3-5 hours after me. I usually turn in at 9:30pm and rise at 5:30am. My wife always wants the hallway light on for when she goes to bed so this naturally would cause sleeping issues. I tried using a soft eye cover that completely blocks out the light and I no longer am troubled by the light. Try this out and see if it will work for you. On occasion I will take something like unisom, Tylenol pm or costco sleep aid, but only if needed because it gives me a little hangover in the morning.

How far post-op are you? I had problems sleeping the first few months but probably after 3 I was back to normal.

Hey Teri,

Sounds like a nightmare (sorry, bad joke!) :)

You said that people with thyroid issues shouldn't take anything with melatonin. What's the possible negative effect if you do?

I guess the reason I'm asking is because at the 6 month mark you will be able to eat a lot more and get the variety in your diet that it sounds like you need for sleep.

Is it possible to take one of the suggested sleeping tablets for a short time?

Good luck with it,

Deano

What a very informative post! Ever since after surgery i have not had a good night sleep without taking sleep aid thats OTC. If i dont i wake up every 2-3 hrs a night :( i dont want to take prescription sleeping pills... hopefully its gets better with time.

I had no idea what the connection was, but I, too, am having difficulty with both falling asleep and staying asleep since surgery.

I expected to be a ball of energy at this point and all I am is SLEEPY! I've lost 35 lbs and I'm eating better than I probably ever have. I expected to feel GOOD, but I'm exhausted.

I'm not sure what to do... :(

I had no idea what the connection was' date=' but I, too, am having difficulty with both falling asleep and staying asleep since surgery.

I expected to be a ball of energy at this point and all I am is SLEEPY! I've lost 35 lbs and I'm eating better than I probably ever have. I expected to feel GOOD, but I'm exhausted.

I'm not sure what to do... :([/quote']

Me too! I was just thinking how tried I am all the time. I think it's carb withdrawal still! I was a carb/caffeine addict and I think my body is still like 'what the hell are you trying to do to me?!?'

I talked to the NUT today about this. She informed me that I needed to cut back on Protein a little at a time until I got the protein/carb balance that allowed me to get some sleep. Of course the focus needs to be on healthy fruits, veggies, and high Fiber carbs. I only need about 30 gms of Protein a day tops.

P. S. I am 10 weeks post op.