Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your stomach growl post op VSG?

I have sort of an embarrassing bodily function! Everyones stomach growls but mine is extreeeeeme. It's actually something that triggers me to over eat because I am compensating for not wanting that to happen while I'm sitting in class. Does this happen post op? What effect does the surgery have on this for people?

IT sure does. Everytime I eat it growls.

New sleeves are noisy. It gets much, much better with time. At some point my husband and I realized we were no longer being serenaded by my guts every evening in bed. :)

Nowadays the only time my sleeve makes noise is when I miss a dose of my PPI or eat too much dairy (despite knowing I'm intolerant) so it's no longer an issue.

I used to have an embarrassing stomach prior to surgery, too - it would loudly growl and gurgle even within a hour of a large meal and nothing bothered me more than sitting in quiet lecture hall or conference room and having people stare at me because my stomach was growling so loudly!

Within a year it should diminish. Be careful to get on a PPI immediately post op but yes, expect the sleeve to be noisy for a while as you heal and adapt.

~Cheri

Super noisy at first but I'm a little over a month out and it's only occasional!

I am 2 months out and am laying in bed listening to my stomach going crazy. I think it's worse after I drink. It makes that noise like when you pull the plug out of the bath.

Sorryi know I should know this what is a ppi?

Sorryi know I should know this what is a ppi?

It's a proton pump inhibitor - like Nexium, Prilosec or Protonix. Prevacid is a PPI but for many of us it simply doesn't work at controlling the acid post sleeve.

Taking Tums or Pepcid will address the symptoms of too much acid (usually poorly) but a PPI will reduce the acid production until your body learns to make less on it's own. Most people are on their PPI for roughly six months to a year, though some need one long term.

It is the single most important thing (outside of diet) that you can do that will improve your quality of life post sleeve. Acid is a problem for nearly everyone post op, and having a PPI in your daily routine makes a world of difference.

~Cheri

I didn't have a loud tummy till after surgery. Now? Good heavens, what's going ON in there?

@Cheri... Thanks makes sense. I had my EGD teo weeks ago and they found a little erosion and put me on Prilosec. He told me to continue taking until my surgeon tells me to stop. I wondered why if it was mild I had to take so long. Don't have a surgery date yet will be submitted on about two weeks for approval. I'm do ready!!!