Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone lost the weight after VSG without exercise?

I'm just curious if anyone out there lost their weight without exercising?

My cousin had her sleeve 12/21/11- she lost 100lbs and other than chasing around 3 kids- she did no exercise. So it CAN be done.

I started out with walking several times a week, only to take a nasty fall when we had some snow. As a result I twisted something in my knee and walking more than short distances became impossible. My doctor told me to keep off it and rest it for a month, so I've not done any exercise since and can't tell any difference in the amount of weight I'm losing. Caloric deficit from exercise, unless you're doing some really brutal working out, is generally not a lot.

There's a lady in my support group who keeps kids for a living and she has lost over 90 pounds so far just watching what she eats, getting in her protien and doing her job....

My doctor told me that with WLS there is a percentage of weight that will come off just from having the surgery, he estimated 120 pounds for me...anything beyond that will be on me working hard and staying active....

SO it is possible, depends on your goals

At this early stage I don't think the exercise is impacting my weight loss, but we're in this for the long term, right? Exercise improves calorie burn and metabolism (because it takes more calories to feed muscles than fat), so if you are able to it is recommended. Even on weeks when the scale doesn't move much my measurements (waist, hips, arms) still show that my working out is improving my body.

I was sleeved in July. I did zumba about 3-4 times a week in September and that is all the exercise i did. I hit 6 months post op yesterday and Im down 70lbs. I just started hitting the gym 2 days ago hoping to lose the last couple pounds and start getting some muscle.

Can I ask whats promoting this question? If you have some type of disability its understandable but just consider that whatever you lose with just dieting, you can probably lose 35-40% more if you took up exercise as well.

I was in a 4 week stall and had not excercised other than chasing my 3 kiddos all day long, and making sure I had 80 grams of Protein and 64 oz. of fluids daily... I started doing 4-1(4 minutes walk, then alternate a minute of running) miles 5 times a day (takes me 27 minutes) on the treadmill, and my scale finally moved! Down 2 pounds after a month of not moving, and all I did was add the treadmill.