Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I PB??

So, I had my second fill yesterday (2.5cc in a 4cc band). Did fine with Breakfast and lunch. I went to get my new favorite Pinto's and cheese from Taco Bell for dinner. I took 2 or 3 bites and then got this horrible cramp like feeling in the center of my stomach about 3 inches below my ribs. I then felt like I had to cough...like I had a tickle in my throat. I coughed and felt nauseous. I ran to the bathroom and threw up. Ok...sorry in advance for being graphic....it was just thick mucous with a tiny bit of Beans in it. I immediately felt better and actually finished the rest of my beans. So....is this a PB?:help:

Sounds like it to me! I don't have a stomach cramp, but the food just backs up and comes on out. Not projectile vomiting, just more or less an 'overflow'. I seldom have food feel 'stuck' but am having some experiences with it just backing up. If I've eaten meat, it usually lasts 2-4 hrs for the episode to be over and the extra saliva (slime) I produce can amount to about 2 cups. The next day I'm sore and try to stick to liquids or mushies.

A tip I got from a bypass person, and band people have said it works.

If meat sticks, use about a teasp or tenderizer with a little Water.

I guess it makes the problem go away a lot faster.

I just heard this, I've not experienced it.

Yep, that is a pretty good description of a PB. Pretty much anytime I get to the point of the "slimes" ( the thick saliva jellyfish stuff) I will PB and then feel better. Be sure to baby yourself for the rest of the day if this happens, it can cause swelling of your stoma and create a cycle of irritation and PBing. Most surgeons reccomend sticking with liquids and soft mushies for a day or 2 after a PB episode.

I am sure that was a PB. The slime comes first and then you throw up. I find that I don't have to put any real effort into throwing up, like when I really throw up and my ribs hurt from the effort. I just have a lot of slime come and then I sort of burp whatever it is up. I have esophageal spasms which are different from your PB. I get food stuck in my esophagus and then I PB. It's gross, but I'm getting used to it. I find that if I'm under stress, which is pretty common with 7 animals and my 86 year old mother driving me crazy, I tend to PB more. Welcome to the world of the PB.

I recently had my 2nd fill and now cannot tollerate most meats. They go down and then after 2-3 bites, they feel stuck. The only way I can get rid of the pain is to PB. It's not like vomiting, there is no strain, it just pops out. I have a full upper denture and sometimes think I don't chew my food as well as most with real teeth. Maybe I don't know how to chew it to bits either, never had to do that before. I just made a wonderful concoction for dinner. I made mashed potatoes, turned it into thick Soup, added bits of ham I made for dinner, added cheese and broccolli to it and it went down fine. That was a first in the last 10 days to go down and stay down. Wow, finally I feel full. Amen.

buzz.......I have also heard that the meat tenderizer is helpful if it is a dense Protein that is stuck. I used papaya enzyme myself....it's aids digrestion of protein and is somewhat helpful.

i talked to my doc about the tenderizer and she said under no circumstance use it. It can cause real harm to the esphogus.