Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you thought about throwing out your scale?

Was thinking about throwing out my scale this morning. I've not had surgery yet, and need to lose a set amount of weight before surgery so can't do it now. But, for my entire life I feel like I've defined myself and success with a certain number on the scale. How I felt about myself was tied to that number.

If I was gaining weight, it didn't stop me from gaining but made me beat myself up. When I lose, it's either not enough or again, how I define success. Do I really want my life after the sleeve to be defined by the number? Should I base it more on how I feel and look?

It's something I'm thinking about. I've struggled setting a goal weight because I simply don't know. I don't know myself as an adult at a healthy weight. Is it even possible to cut the cord to the scale after being obsessed with it for so long?

I'm 3 months post op & I don't let the scales rule me!!!!! I don't even own scales. I weigh once a week at work. I tried weighing everyday but I would be up a lb then down a lb & I would start to get discouraged. I've found that if I wait & weigh once a week & I'm usually down more weight, and I'm much happier. Some people do great weighing everyday but I've found what works for me. Best of luck on finding out what works for you!!! Good luck on your journey!!

Was thinking about throwing out my scale this morning. I've not had surgery yet, and need to lose a set amount of weight before surgery so can't do it now. But, for my entire life I feel like I've defined myself and success with a certain number on the scale. How I felt about myself was tied to that number.

If I was gaining weight, it didn't stop me from gaining but made me beat myself up. When I lose, it's either not enough or again, how I define success. Do I really want my life after the sleeve to be defined by the number? Should I base it more on how I feel and look?

It's something I'm thinking about. I've struggled setting a goal weight because I simply don't know. I don't know myself as an adult at a healthy weight. Is it even possible to cut the cord to the scale after being obsessed with it for so long?

Hi socaldixiegal,

I too have been attached to a number on the scale for years. Before surgery I made a decision that I would not allow the scale to dictate my success in this process. And honestly it doesn't. I decided to weigh myself once a week and enjoy the numbers going down. Truth be known everyone does hit "stalls" during this process. Everyone hits them at different times. I noticed while I maybe stalling on the scale my clothes are getting pretty Baggie. So more than anything my mind set has changed. I hope whatever you decided to do helps you enjoy your journey in this process. Scale or not your numbers will change.... The surgery is the best thing I could have done. Best wishes to you on your journey! Tina

I salute your bravery. Do it.

I think new sleevers don't need to weigh at all. The only reason I see to keep one is down the line, it will give you much quicker feedback if you're slipping...as opposed to just noticing your clothes getting tighter.

All the scale will do in the early months is drive you crazy, unless you have a very relaxed and reasonable expectation on what you'll see each time you weigh.

You cannot expect to lose weight every time you step on the scale. You can even expect the occasional bump up in weight! Most people think they understand this until they're in it - and then they panic, post that they hate their sleeve, start screwing with their diet and basically...lose their minds.

On the other side, I feel that you NEED your scale in maintenance. For me, that daily weight check is what keeps me in line. I no longer log my food daily so seeing a number on the scale, and reassuring myself that I'm within my allotted four pound window means a lot to me. If I see those numbers rise steadily for more than a day or two, I know I'm slipping somewhere. I have a tool that can immediately help me get back on track, with small changes like drinking more Water or avoiding food that could be the cause (sodium gets me every time).

But outside of that? The best thing you can do for your sanity is weigh weekly or monthly. Your clothes and physical appearance are going to tell a more accurate tale of success in the early months, anyway. At one point I really did have my husband hide my scale and only bring it out for a weekly weigh in, because I was driving myself (and him) crazy. Seeing the scale go up, or seeing it stay in one place for weeks at a time really is a normal part of the process, but it ruined my day every time it happened.

Good luck,

~Cheri

Was thinking about throwing out my scale this morning. I've not had surgery yet' date=' and need to lose a set amount of weight before surgery so can't do it now. But, for my entire life I feel like I've defined myself and success with a certain number on the scale. How I felt about myself was tied to that number.

It's something I'm thinking about. I've struggled setting a goal weight because I simply don't know. I don't know myself as an adult at a healthy weight. Is it even possible to cut the cord to the scale after being obsessed with it for so long?[/quote']

I dont believe in the concept of not weighing because obesity like any other disease should me monitored. More realistically I would encourage you to not have an emotional response to the numbers.