Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok. First month of pre- open diet went ok. Lost 5#. Second month gained back 2 because I got lazy. It was SO HARD around Christmas. I had family here for two weeks, did all the cooking. Went out to eat a couple of times, tried so hard to be good. This diet is kinda like a modified Atkins. Basically I can have everything except added sugar, milk, bread or starchy vegetables. I can eat fruit with the exception of a few. I got really constipated, felt icky from all the meat and eggs and when I wasn't constipated from the meat, I got diarrhea from all be the salad I switched to. My gut is all messed up and I feel awful that I have done so badly this last month. How do I change 42 years of eating habits in three months? Despite the high Protein. I still have horrible food cravings. I'm so frustrated with myself and I'm afraid my insurance won't approve me if they feel I'm not even trying. On top of it all, I have Lupus, and I think I'm having a flare up and I feel exhausted all the time and I'm sleeping a lot more than usual. No amount of sleep I get will help until this flare I'm having goes away. I did order samples of Syntrax Nectar and Protein Shakes. I how that helps.

I haven't had surgery yet (actually, just finished wrapping up all of the criteria). I am going through Kaiser and I have met with my nutritionist and psychologist, both have made it very clear that this surgery takes not only a physical toll, but also an emotional toll. I have been told several times that if I feel that I have any emotional ties to food, that I really need to deal with these issues prior to surgery because while my stomach will be smaller, my emotional cravings won't be.

My "drug of choice" has always been fast food. It has been there for me during the good and the bad time... It has been the angel and the devil in the past 12 years of my life. Prior to starting my journey into requesting the referral to see a bariatrics surgeon, I started working on the emotional/mental side of this journey. I can now say that I have made some major changes in my life, both in my diet and in my mental way of looking at food. Not to say that I'm not going to have some freak out moments post sleeve, but I'm hoping that dealing with my "relationship" (to food) issues prior to surgery will help. ;)

Having this forum helps soooo much! Thy is for sure. Good luck on your endeavor!!!

kimi

On a side note, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I COMPLETELY understand the flair ups and the lack of energy... Completely.

kimi

i suck at dieting too. lets face it. diet food sucks. but, i promise that there is hope! i have learned that while diet food sucks, healthy food, does not have to suck. this made me very happy. because, like most of us, i LOVE food. i like to cook it, smell it, and eat it. i have found some great resources that have helped me create wonderful menus that my whole family including a 15 year old boy, 12 year old girl, 4 year old girl, and my wife all enjoy much better than the crap we used to eat. try these websites for food ideas. i promise, i am 6 months out, and my family does not feel like we are on a diet, and my non-op wife has lost 75 pounds eating this food!

www.emilybites.com

www.dashingdish.com

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/

i promise, this is GOOD FOOD. not diet food. but it will help you meet your goals. my favorite part is that most meals are easy to make, inexpensive, and look like a chef made it.

good luck on your journey

Ok. First month of pre- open diet went ok. Lost 5#. Second month gained back 2 because I got lazy. It was SO HARD around Christmas. I had family here for two weeks' date=' did all the cooking. Went out to eat a couple of times, tried so hard to be good. This diet is kinda like a modified Atkins. Basically I can have everything except added sugar, milk, bread or starchy vegetables. I can eat fruit with the exception of a few. I got really constipated, felt icky from all the meat and eggs and when I wasn't constipated from the meat, I got diarrhea from all be the salad I switched to. My gut is all messed up and I feel awful that I have done so badly this last month. How do I change 42 years of eating habits in three months? Despite the high Protein. I still have horrible food cravings. I'm so frustrated with myself and I'm afraid my insurance won't approve me if they feel I'm not even trying. On top of it all, I have Lupus, and I think I'm having a flare up and I feel exhausted all the time and I'm sleeping a lot more than usual. No amount of sleep I get will help until this flare I'm having goes away. I did order samples of Syntrax nectar and Protein shakes. I how that helps.[/quote']

Dont worry, we all suck at dieting, otherwise if we didnt none of us would need surgery. Since the sleeve is more about a lifestyle change, I think u will be better at that as opposed to these abusive pre op diets lol. Good luck!

Wow I really love the bariatric foodie web site...thanks for posting, I didn't know about her site until now!!

I am 7 months post op. The pre op diet is tough. Most of us have had the last meal syndrome where we think we have to eat all those foods that you think you will never have again. All you can do is your best and work on making the best choice possible, start decreasing your caffeine and soda intake and start to be more active. It never hurts to share you struggle with your Bariatric team. They are a fantastic wealth of knowledge. Good luck and come back to the forum when ever you need. We have all been there.

Dont worry' date=' we all suck at dieting, otherwise if we didnt none of us would need surgery. Since the sleeve is more about a lifestyle change, I think u will be better at that as opposed to these abusive pre op diets lol. Good luck![/quote']

I agree! I don't have a problem dieting per se, it's not that I WANT to eat all the time. I am hungry (with the exception of right after a meal) 24/7. I followed Weight Watchers perfectly when I was on appetite suppressants. Unfortunately, they make my heart race and I felt anxious and nervous while I was on them and had to stop. But I also lost 13 pounds the first month and it was so easy because I didn't get hungry. I hope the sleeve will be the same way. I really hope I get approved for the surgery. I went to visit my skinny mom last October. I hadn't seen her for 5 years. She tried really hard to hide it, but I saw the look of disbelief and shock on her face when she picked me up at the airport. Wow, did that hurt. And then of course, the lecture the day before I left; although I thought I made it very clear before I got there that my weight wasn't up for discussion. My grandfather tells me that I'm "quite an armful". I purposely tried to not eat a lot while I was there, but my mother kept trying to force feed me and bitched because I didn't eat Breakfast. She made apple cake for God's sake! For breakfast!! We went out to lunch or dinner every day for 5 days. It was a no-win scenario. I haven't told her about the surgery. My husband and one of my aunts know, but I haven't told my 20-year old son. I'm not sure how he'd react, but I think he would be ok with it. I want to surprise him the next time he comes to visit.

I have been "dieting" for 35 yrs and im ready to take this tool and make a lifestyle change...Im using the next 6 pre op months to make these changes..we have spent many years abusing our bodies and they will fight us every step of the way, Celebrate every step you win , have a good support system thru family friends or even here online. I have learned a lot in a cpl weeks. Your Team is there to help you also, use them. Also mind set is key dont look to this as a diet, find yummy healthy foods that work for you not what the fad diet book of the day says.

You can do this!