Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

George Bush: Worst American president in history

ummmm Carlene, help me here, I just woke up.....How is this relevant? Like Im not trying to be rude, or disrespectful to your research or anything, just confused.... Oh and the Associated Press (I know they are viable) however, is a not a good source. Its too general. Like, here, anything I turn in with AP on it, is automatically deducted for not having enough sources or something like that. They are great for reading, but not for quoting. You have to find a private study and research article, those are great for quoting, because they are unique and come directly from a person. And a fact is anything that can be proven right or wrong, remember that when you read figures, compare them to what other places are saying. Do they have a bias? Probably, and possibly a big one because it is politics afterall.

Jodie...it is relevant only in the proper context.

This was the beginning of the whole thing:

Originally Posted by mousecrazy

I hope we can all just send our prayers/good energy to our troops, and hope for the success of this mission, for their sakes, and the sake of our country.

I posted this...

I pray every night for the men and women in Iraq. I know what it's like to have one of your children over there.

What continues to nag at me is the poll they did recently, in which 61% of the Iraqis support the attacks on American forces. How can we ever hope to succeed when the very people we are committed to helping don't want us there?

Then you posted the following, with NO documentation, I might add - not even something from the "biased" AP.

Actually its the Iraqi War that is not approved of by 68% of POLLED Americans (many of whom, probably didnt vote)....Not necessarily Bush. I like George W Bush, I just dont like the War in Iraq. His approval rating and that of the war are different, however related ofcourse, but can vary and differ

So I documented my source for you. Please note that within the article it mentions that the poll was done for the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes. Wikipedia is a pretty unreliable source too, but here's what it has to say about PIPA.

The Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) is an institution devoted to research on the public opinion of international politics. It is jointly run by the Center on Policy Attitudes and the Center for International and Security Studies at Maryland at the School of Public Affairs, University of Maryland, College Park.

PIPA has investigated topics such as the public perceptions of United States international politics and of international organisations (NATO, the United Nations, and the International Monetary Fund). It maintains the Americans and the World website, described as a "source of comprehensive information on US public opinion on international issues".

In January 2006, PIPA launched WorldPublicOpinion.org a comprehensive website devoted to public opinion on international policy and affairs, stating that while "Others report what the world does, we report what the world thinks."

And you are correct that everyone is politically biased. I have never, I hope, implied otherwise.

yes i know, i wasnt trying to attack you at all....I didnt have my source because it was on a powerpoint I saw in class during a lecture yesterday. I didnt mean to make you feel attacked at all Im sorry....

Poly Sci classes are much more important and reliable? :-) I remember my Poly Sci classes as being biased and as focusing on biased research, and I remember wondering if any of us, reporters, politicians, or the public, could ever be totally unbiased in real life. Luckily, I agreed with the bias of my classes so I enjoyed them. i also remember the issue about the AP using so many sources that if quoted, it was best to identify where the AP got its information. Didn't mean they weren't worth quoting in real life...just in Poli Sci class.

True, my poli sci classes focus on not having a bias. Especially one. We can only look at data and facts, not opinions or hold or own opinions to the calculations of the polls, and etc...Rather we just examine what is there in order to predict the future of politics. I have 5 poli sci classes this semester, so thats what I do on most days, play on various NewsPaper websites, government sites, attend lectures, read articles and poilitical journals. All that kind of stuff.

How do you determine that data and facts are real? Research itself is skewed by the questions asked and the methods used.

yes i know, i wasnt trying to attack you at all....I didnt have my source because it was on a powerpoint I saw in class during a lecture yesterday. I didnt mean to make you feel attacked at all Im sorry....

Jodie....your posts don't make me feel "attacked". I was just making the point that while you were busy chastising me for not documenting my information, you failed to document your own.

Believe it or not, I respect your views on the president and his foreign policy (misguided and lame though it may be....LOL). I am VERY impressed by your interest in current events and your choice of Political Science as a course of study. I wish there were more young women in this country like you.

Keep an open mind, Jodie. Be true to yourself first and any political agenda second. Remember that Hillary Clinton was once a Goldwater girl. You too can be forgiven for your misspent Republican youth....LOL.

Ok. Let's go with that. How do you decide if the poll is an accurate representation? Let's say they matched people to have a truly representative sample. How did they determine the model? How did they determine what questions would serve the model? Or did they just ask the questions and whoever happened along answered them and they decided that was representative of the country? Could I replicate their finding in NYC? in BFE?

see, with mine they put how many people were polled, how they were polled, when they were polled and so on.....Yes those numbers need to be backed by two more sources in reality, but the fact is I need to read the whole US Constitution and UNDERSTAND it, write a paper about it. Read some journals, write about those, pick a national topic up for debate to do a presentation over, and go pay my rent, lol! I dont have time to do meaningless research that will get me no where on here, except make me look like a total complete know it all.....lol. I dont claim to know everything, I just insert my opinions, and what I know as fact, and let it be......

P.S. Not to mention its Friday night, I gotta get dressed to go PARTY!

Jodie....your posts don't make me feel "attacked". I was just making the point that while you were busy chastising me for not documenting my information, you failed to document your own.

Believe it or not, I respect your views on the president and his foreign policy (misguided and lame though it may be....LOL). I am VERY impressed by your interest in current events and your choice of Political Science as a course of study. I wish there were more young women in this country like you.

Keep an open mind, Jodie. Be true to yourself first and any political agenda second. Remember that Hillary Clinton was once a Goldwater girl. You too can be forgiven for your misspent Republican youth....LOL.

I am not a Republican, I do not identify myself with any party in particular thank you......Politics is who I am, live for them! They are always happening.....I would rather be worrying about them and researching and dealing with trying to find a husband or decide on my future kids names (Which I dont want any NeWay). I AM however a moderate conservative, in which case I keep an open-mind, and I accept people no matter what, I just have different views on a lot of subjects than liberals (moderate and ultra) and ultra-conservatives do.

Jodie,

It is reasuring to me to see someone your age take a Political Science class so seriously. It is also a nice little trip down Memory Lane for many of us who have also dabbled in the subject matter ourselves. Just remember, that after a first course in Human Anatomy, nobody is quite ready to perform open heart surgery.

Hear, hear, Geezersue! You and Betsyjane have hit the nails on the proverbial heads. Carlene I believe was trying to use some information she had to back up her statement. Jodie seemed to think she was writing a dissertation for her Ph.d. Jodie's learning, she's learning. And good for her. I'm just hoping that she really is as open minded as she says. Because for her to quote a source to indicate that people don't feel so bad about this president because it shows 68% against the war and only 63% against Bush, is frankly mind boggling.

Im preparing for the LSAT, I have taken half my classes for my major....I study it all the time.....at least im in class tho, and not just running my head with absolutely no political background, whatsoever

We're all glad you are involved in such an exciting major as political science. You sure have lots of material to study and debate with the events of today. I doubt if anyone here is "without any political background whatsoever." Don't get us started having to back up our reason for posting here by spouting off our educational credentials. You might be humbled a bit.

Death is a sad affair. A shooting war one might expect such to occur. Without trying to generate any particular political slant, this is a simple comparison of the numbers of US Forces killed in action in comparison with a 'non-war zone' such as NYC...Other large cities have incredibly high murder rates also. I wonder where the outrage is in those cases. And of course the issue isn't 'guns'; it is violent criminals in a civilian population.

Certainly Viet Nam was at the other extreme end of casualties suffered.

In a war zone, people are trained and armed to kill each other. In a city, people are not trained though they may be armed. I think this comparison is a non sequitur fallacy. Maybe we should send city folks through basic training.