Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

George Bush: Worst American president in history

Correct me if I'm wrong (like you wouldn't....LOL), but I thought the US did not recognize dual citizenship.

Many US citizens do not realize that they may have dual citizenship via birthright.

My grandfather came here from Italy in 1908. He got married and had a bunch of kids and--because of the rumors that were flying around about a war in Europe--he filed for his US citizenship around 1932. He had one more child after that.

All of us who were born to his sons--and those of us who were born to his daughters after 1948 (when Italian woman first had rights of citizenship on their own)--are, according to Italian law--Italian citizens. That's because our parents were born to an Italian citizen, which made THEM Italian citizens, which means WE were born to Italian citizens which makes US Italian citizens. (I'm pretty sure the Irish work that way, too.) But we were all born here, which makes us US citizens.

Since the dual citizenship was automatically granted by both countries at birth (even if we didn't know about it), there is no renouncing of anything involved.

But, many US citizens have become Canadian citizens and have not had to renounce anything. Some guy has had a website about it for years now. I dont know if this is the one I read years ago, but it covers the topic re Canada:

http://www.cis.org/articles/cantigny/carens.html

BuSh finally admitted that our military people are dying in iraq for OIL.

Of Course, BuSh made it seem like a good thing saying. "You can imagine a world in which these extremists and radicals got control of energy resources. And then you can imagine them saying, 'We're gonna pull a bunch of oil off the market to run your price of oil up, unless you do the following'."

The USA didn't bother to find an alternative to oil, so that gives the USA the right to invade other countries?

That "terrible president"; Jimmy Carter, put into effect regulations that gave tax breaks to using and finding alternatives to oil and coal, the program started working, but Ronald Reagan did away with them as soon as he became president and for the next 25 years the USA's depency on foreign oil grew and grew.

Solution, or should I say the BuSh solution, cook up a scheme to invade the 2nd largest holder of oil reserves in the world. Simple, as long as you don't mind killing innocent Iraqi civilians, while thousands of American troops die.

In a related story President Chavez of Venezuela threathen to stop sending oil to the USA meaning that we will need an excuse to invade Venezuela too?

I definitely agree. To be honest, I don't vote straight party line. I do my research and vote for the best candidate. I have voted for many decomcrats during my voting career. Not all REPUBLICANS are in line with my values. I really did that to have a little fun. I hope it can bring a smile and diffuse some of the tension.

OK then. I'm all for fun. :biggrin1:

Who'll win the house?, the senate? Can we really trust either party? Regardless of how the election turns out, we still have a responsibility to let our elected officials know our opinion.

I heard it said on ABC today that the true victors may be the independents. Those rare Democrats and Republicans who continue to listen to constituents and vote using their brain--and ignore the pressure placed on them by their respective parties.

I personally am against the war. I will be bombarding my elected officials with information that supports early withdrawal of troups. I'm not against the US using force to propagate peace. However wouldn't it have been better to use intelligence and special ops to help Iraq towards a democratic nation?

The emporer has no clothes. It's a no brainer. The war is in no one's best interest.

I used to have such a cynical view of politicians. Then I met my hubby. His mom is in the state house of representatives in my state. Through her I have met many, many politicians and MOST (not all) of them (Democrats) truly have the peoples best interests at heart and are in politics to make a difference. I have seen the pain of smear campaigns and the joy of victory in my MIL's face. As she runs for her final term today (term limits) I hope and pray for change in my state and federal government.

As far as Dubya is concerned... well.... I'm not even gonna go there.

Just remember.... when Clinton lied noone died.

... I spoke directly with our local voting dept and the deadline to request a mail ballot was last week. In other words, you can still be deceased and cast your vote. This is definitely something that needs attention for the sake of all of us.

Yeah, but, (playing devil's advocate)...someone who was just able to register (because of age or length of time as a resident) on Monday the 6th, but was going to be in surgery or out of town today on the 7th, would not be eligible for an absentee ballot...even though he or she was alive and eligible on election day. Statistically, it's probably a wash. But since I'm married to a guy whose birthday is November 5th, it hits a little close to home...

We absentee voters have to deal with those things.

Bjean, so far my sense of humor is the only thing that has kept me from running, screaming into the night. I agree with you, most of what has been deamed "election coverage" is nothing more than a bunch of talking heads drawing conclusions and telling us whats going to happen instead of facts, like say voting records on key issues (and hey, how about mentioning everything in those bills including attachments ) and an honest to goodness platform. Trying to find a canidates stand and plans is like looking for a needle in a hay stack, and sometimes the things you find on their wedsite are contrary to their ads. UGHH!!!

The ads are a bad joke and a prime example of why I don't like to talk politics. I'm all for the thoughtful, insightfull, open exchange of beliefs and ideas done in a respectful manor where all sides can both talk and listen. Sadly, like the t.v. ads most of the time it's more like WWF smackdown. When did intolerance become the rule? I may not agree what what people say, but I have a deep belief and respect for their right to say it.

In my first post on this thread I tried to explain what I didn't agree with, give my reasons why and examples, and not launch into personal attacks.

The vast majority of replies were respectful and interesting to read, which I find refreshing and unique.

For the most part I'm tired of the ads, the spin, the smear and the frustration. I will keeping work for change and a better way, but I'm not pass up a chance to thank someone for giving me a smile. It might be simplistic, but I think the world would be better with more laughing and less name calling.

Which reminds me, thanks for the laugh Carlene!

P.S.

Please vote!

Paladin, thank you for your analysis of exit polls. I was surprised to find so much faith placed in them, especially by those who are cynical about almost everything else. I read an interesting post by T.O.M. in another post about determining fact...it might be an interesting read, and it might be worth thinking about in relation to exit polls.

If you turn the issue around, and consider the possibility that people might not give the pollster an accurate answer...or the questions themselves might be biased or skewed...or the media outlet reporting them might have an agenda one way or the other...then, an exit poll might reflect inaccurate information. Thus, a poor predictor of the results, and everyone goes to bed thinking one thing is going to happen, and it doesn't. Maybe a deeper and more thoughtful investigation of the media might be called for.

It is also interesting that those who are slanting to the left here are more likely to use words like "stupid" and other ad hominem attacks. Why is that? Perhaps that is considered "humor"?

I am also grateful for Fox News (Faux for the liberals), because without it, we would only know that there were 200 protestors outside the rally in Texas, but wouldn't know that there were 18,000 supporters inside...among other things.

Apparently, a majority of the people in the United States of America are stupid, because they keep electing these stupid conservatives to office, especially George Bush, and his neo-con hacks (yes, I am being facetious).

I am a supporter of our president, especially in a time of war, and our country should be standing together. Not that we all have to agree on everything, just like most families don't agree on everything. But, when attacked from outside, they stand together. We should, too.

We stood together, for a little while. "Patriotism" was oozing out of every flag on every doorstep. American flags and ribbons were popping up all over everyone's lapels and bumpers, like red white and blue had become the new black. For a few days people were nicer. I actually had people stopping to let me merge into traffic, and as everyone rushed to the gas pumps to fill up their tanks before we hit $5 per gallon, no one cut off anyone else. :o

Yup that's one thing that 9/11 did - it made everyone feel patriotic. I've never seen so many flags flown at private residences. It was a sight to behold. It made me so proud of my fellow Americans. And that Fourth of July! Man, the fireworks were fantastic!

Now we're back to cynicism and distrust of our elected officials. It's a cryin' shame.

We all were bound together when the Trade Center and Pentagon were attacked and we all were together when we went into Afghanistan to find and destroy Osama. But when we found Osama, why didn't we capture him? The seeds of doubt were planted.

Then a bad, really bad decision was made with regard to Iraq. There has been a lot of "talking head" speculation about just why that decision was made and speculation about why it continues and is sucking the life and national pride right out of Americans.

If you're a Republican and you agree with the president's decisions I envy you. I wish to hell that I didn't feel the way I do about his motives. You are able to tell people you're being patriotic by supporting the president. You can say that the war is going to eventually be a good thing for Iraq. You can say that you don't think the president or vice-president or other members of the cabinet are supporting the war for personal gain. You can say that you think that the president may not seem very smart, but that he's smart as a fox. And you can say that gas prices and big business are not formost on the Republican's agenda. You can say that the president and his advisors and his cabinet are loving, caring Christians. And you can BELIEVE it!

More power to you. I wish I could tell myself and my friends those things. But to me, none of the evidence supports any of that. I wish so much that it did!

Aw shucks, I was hoping to conjur up something humorous. I read some of the most recent posts and just couldn't find anything much to laugh about. Somebody say something funny!!

It is also interesting that those who are slanting to the left here are more likely to use words like "stupid" and other ad hominem attacks. Why is that?

I can’t agree with this. Just in the recent past, we had Rush mocking Michael Fox’s Parkinson’s. Bush has been caught when he didn’t realize he was broadcasting calling people ass***e. Bill O’Reilly calls people loons, loony lefties, SOBs, idiots, vile, despicable weasels etc. And then there is Ann Coulter, who called 9/11 widows names.

Now, I’m not claiming the left doesn’t call names sometimes, but it’s not onesided.

Yes, I realize you were talking about "here". But then, the majority of those posting on this thread are left-leaning, so any conclusions drawn are skewed.

I can’t agree with this. Just in the recent past, we had Rush mocking Michael Fox’s Parkinson’s. Bush has been caught when he didn’t realize he was broadcasting calling people ass***e. Bill O’Reilly calls people loons, loony lefties, SOBs, idiots, vile, despicable weasels etc. And then there is Ann Coulter, who called 9/11 widows names.

Now, I’m not claiming the left doesn’t call names sometimes, but it’s not onesided.

Yes, I realize you were talking about "here". But then, the majority of those posting on this thread are left-leaning, so any conclusions drawn are skewed.

I called Rush Limbaugh a pill head, a bush head, and a d___ head. I also called him Ann Coulter with a penis. But not stupid. I never called him stupid. I think a man who can get by with what he has and is still raking in massive $$$ can't be stupid.