Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions NEWBIE!

I am having my first consultation next week. Here are some of my questions before I go. I'd love some real answers.

1. Do you feel different after you have the band...like inside, can you tell you've had it done? Does the feeling stay with you constantly?

2. Pb'ing...that means productive burbing right? Is it like you are burbing nonstop? What does that mean really?

3. Does everyone get staples for their incisions? How many days did it take for it to heal?

4. How has it affected your relationship with your husband/wife? Has anything changed?

5. Are you happier?

Thanks so much for answering for me. I'm getting wishy/washy now that I know I can have it done for sure! My husband loves me, but he's just not into talking about it, going to the seminar, or even my appt. He tells me to just get it done so I'll be happy. Is he just being a man...it doesn't interest him so no big deal?? I feel like he should be interested, but maybe I'm just being too emotional since it's such a huge thing for me.

Oh..one more question...can someone let me know the details of their surgery day or give me a link to your journal so I can read?? I'm looking for info on exactly what to be prepared for and what they do before surgery. Thanks for your help!!

:)

I am having my first consultation next week. Here are some of my questions before I go. I'd love some real answers.

1. Do you feel different after you have the band...like inside, can you tell you've had it done? Does the feeling stay with you constantly?

No, you cannot feel the band itself. When I first had the surgery, I was aware of my port, but I believe that is just because it takes longer to heal. I am not aware of it at all anymore.

2. Pb'ing...that means productive burbing right? Is it like you are burbing nonstop? What does that mean really?

PB'ing does not mean burping non-stop. It is sort of like vomiting, but not with all the nasty stomach acids, etc. What usually happens is something gets stuck and cannot pass through the stoma. So, what cannot go down must come back up. And that is what a pb is, the food that was stuck comes back up again. However, as long as you follow the bandster rules and eat small bites, chew your food to mush, and wait between bites, you should not have much problem with this.

3. Does everyone get staples for their incisions? How many days did it take for it to heal?

I did not have any staples. My doctor used surgical glue instead. I was very pleased with that and my healing time was only about a week.

4. How has it affected your relationship with your husband/wife? Has anything changed?

My husband is very supportive of my band and has been from the beginning. He loves me very much and said he wanted me to be healthier so we could have a longer, happier life together. If anything, it has improved our relationship, especially on the sexual side of things because I am feeling less self-conscious and "in the mood" more often.

5. Are you happier?

ABSOLUTELY! How could I not be? I am feeling better health wise, have more energy than I have had in years, look better and am feeling better about myself in general.

Thanks so much for answering for me. I'm getting wishy/washy now that I know I can have it done for sure! My husband loves me, but he's just not into talking about it, going to the seminar, or even my appt. He tells me to just get it done so I'll be happy. Is he just being a man...it doesn't interest him so no big deal?? I feel like he should be interested, but maybe I'm just being too emotional since it's such a huge thing for me.

If possible, try and get him to a seminar or at least one of your appointments. Or even point him to Inamed's website. It is very helpful to have a supportive spouse. It is even better to have an informed one who will understand what to expect and how to help you along the different stages of your banding journey.

Oh..one more question...can someone let me know the details of their surgery day or give me a link to your journal so I can read?? I'm looking for info on exactly what to be prepared for and what they do before surgery. Thanks for your help!!

:D

I got to the hospital at 5:00 a.m., my surgery was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. When I got there, I got checked in and changed into a gown. They weighed me and put my little ID band in. At about 6:45 they came and put my IV in and checked all my vitals. At 7:00 they wheeled me down to the surgery waiting area. While there, I had my vitals checked about 3 more times. The nurse spoke with me and asked me a million questions, then the surgeon's nurse also asked me the same questions, as did the anesthiologist and his assistant. My doctor stopped by to check on me. At about 7:20 the anesthiologist came back and said he was going to put a little something in my IV to relax me. I don't know why, I was excited, not nervous. Anyways, I remember a couple of seconds later telling my hubby I felt like I was in the twilight zone. The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery and immediately asking if I had my band. My surgeon was there and said yes, everything went wonderfully. He then told the nursing staff he wanted me transported to my room and up walking within 30 minutes. And, that they did. I spent the night and went home the next day. The pain was tolerable with the medication they gave me. It took me about 2 weeks to really begin feeling "normal" again, but I know many people recovered much quicker than I did.

The only thing different I had to answer from Susan is that I was stitched. Plain ol' every day stitches, the 4 small ones come out at 7 days, the port stitches at 10 days. If there were no signs of infection or tenderness, etc, we could remove them ourselves...and we did!

My husband too was very supportive, but he told me he flet discussing it with me was similar to walking a tightrope!!! That he was afraid if he went with me to the seminar, and was all gung-ho over it, that I would interpret it that he was unhappy with me the way I was. But on the other hand if he was not there, I would interpret it as him not wanting me to do it! So when we finally had this talk where it all come out, we agreed to quit "interpretting" what was being said and only listen to what was actually said! He accompanied me to surgery, and helped me every step of the way. He has been my biggest supporter, always making positive comments on the weight loss...this morning he told me he could see my individual ribs!!! When someone says those nice things to you...of course you feel more sexual. It has been a great thing for our relationship.

I had surgery in MX. I arrived there the day before surgery, they picked us up at the airport (My DH, my SIL (his sister) and myself), drove us to the hospital, did some testing, had individual conferences with us about our expectations etc., & took us to a really nice motel. We shopped and had dinner, then they picked us up early the next morning, and as Susan said you will be ask the same questions by no less than 5 people!!! We chatted with the Dr. had IV's put it etc., and I was wheeled to surgery. The assistant surgeon introduced himself, and the anesthitist I had met the day before explained he was going to give me my first "margarita" and he gave me something in my IV, and then they hooked up my BP, and he told me Sweet Dreams, and then I remember waking up! I was feeling my stomach for big bandages and thought they didn't do it! The nurse told me I was fine, the band was placed and it was time to wake up. Within a short time I was up walking, and drinking. I spent the night in the hospital, another at the hotel, where we once again went shopping!!! Then the next day we were drove back to the airport, and we flew home...5 hoursin the air, another 5 by car, and all I needed was one dose of Tylenol. It was an easy surgery and easy recovery for me.

You will do fine, and you are in the perfect spot for asking all your ?????

Great people here!!!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

Hello, Newbie. My operation was day surgery and the surgeon promised me that I would be feeling functional within a few days. He was right.

I had the operation on Thursday around noon. The surgery itself takes 30-45 minutes. By 6 PM I was home and in bed. I was still pretty heavily sedated from the operation and so I found myself drifting in and out of sleep. Moreover, in order to forestall any possible future pain, my husband was feeding me the demerol that had been prescribed by the surgeon. In brief, I was in lala land and enjoying it. At the time my biggest concern was that the cat wouldn't try to sleep on my stomach.

By the next morning I was feeling much, much better though very tired. To tell the truth the only real pain that I experienced was from the gas that they pump into you during the operation. I did spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday in bed though; I was enjoying the time out. I read and slept a lot. By Monday I was up and feeling great except for those gas pains.

During the first week I drank nothing but clear fluids which was what my surgeon wanted and I used a pill crusher for my meds. This is to give your stomach time to recover. I didn't feel hungry.

The following couple of weeks I lived on Soups (Gardenay) and yogurt and then I moved on to soft foods. This wasn't difficult because the menu plan called for a lot of Snacks and so it seemed that I was always eating.

I found the experience to be both interesting and positive. I've lost some weight and am feeling much better about myself. My eating habits have improved. I continue to lose weight at the rate of 1 to 2 lbs per week.

Hi Newbie

I Had My Lap Band Done On October 5th 2006, I Am Just About A Month Post Op And Have Already Have Had My First Fill(october 27th). I Am Down 38lbs In Less Than A Month And Feel Back To My Normal Self.

I Had Never Had Surgery Before The Band And Honestly It Was Not Bad At All. The Hardest Part For Me Was The Clear liquid diet For A Week Post Op. It Was Almost Like I Went Through A Depression Because I Had Lost My "best Friend" Fooooood!

But Now All Is Well I Eat Small Healthy Sensible Meals And Am Very Comfortamble With My Decision To Have The Lap Band Surgery.

Good Luck On You Journey, Be Patient It Is Worth It!

These are good questions.

I don't feel the band at all and most of the time completely forget about it except when I am eating because I remember to be slow and conscious when I eat so I can avoid PBs.

You basically burp up some food that got stuck in your upper (new) stomach and won't go down to the big stomach part.

I had surgery in Mexico and it was lap. I got stiches, not staples. It healed quickly.

I feel more comfortable with myself. I feel more of his equal (he is very good-looking). I feel more in love with him than ever because life is good. Our sex life is now through the roof!

5. Are you happier?

Much happier because I feel in control. I am getting back to some thigns I loved when I was younger (sports, exercise, etc.). I feel relatively normal and not crazy, which is how I felt most of my life. Therapy has played a role also. The other day some one told me "But you're not fat." Damn.