Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did the band affect your relationships?

I'm wondering what if any affect weight loss has had on your personal relationships? Not just with significant others, but with family and close friends. Did anyone have improved relationships or negative consequences that you think came as a result of you changing your lifestyle and/or image?

I can understand that it's scary for friends & family to watch us take such a significant step. Hopefully most people in our lives should be supportive, even if they don't understand the experiences that convinced us that having this surgery is the right decision for us. On the other hand, there might be those friends & even family who can't support us emotionally (due to their own issues with weight or food.)

Just last night my always-petite sister told me how proud she was of me. :clap2: She apologized for not supporting my initial decision to have surgery, but she admitted that she was wrong and that she was so happy that I stuck to my guns and did it anyway. That meant a lot. :)

As for personal relationships with the opposite sex: I think my personal relationships with men should improve. Frankly it's not easy to be single and trying to date while being obese or overweight, no matter how attractive you are.:phanvan

I'm certainly hoping to improve both the quality and quantity of men that are attracted to me since I've had surgery. :) (Hey, it's a numbers game - one of those millions of men has got to be the Right One, am I right?)

Nup, not at all. I had a good relationship with my DH and still do, its the same as always, though naturally he thinks I"m looking pretty good, lol. I've always had plenty of friends and been very social and I still do. I anticipated maybe a bit of awkwardness with my bestest buddy who is very obese, but she's been nothing but supportive. I just thought she might find it hard to watch me shrink and I think she has to a degree, but she's just been fantastic about it.

I had a good friend who was banded about four years ago when they first started doing them, he had great results and lost over 100lbs and has maintained his loss. He said after he lost the weight the women started chasing after him and unfortunately he let one catch him. My friend was married and it ended up costing him his marriage. He knows that it's entirely his fault and now has to live with what he did, it bothers him. He said that the attention he got was not expected and it really threw him for a loop. He said he never expected things to end up like they did. He has since settled down and he and his ex are on good terms and are very social. It's a shame that it had to happen but maybe someone else can learn from his experience.

Being totally honest...The only problem that I had was right after the surgery...My dh had (has) a mental problem with something strange being put inside me ...He had problems in the sexual department if you know what I mean...But with time (about a month) it went away and all is great again, but to this day just mentioning the band is a complete turn off for him if said at the right(wrong) time!!

More sex!

Better sex!

More interesting sex!

This is great.

People are nicer to me, especially women. I guess I am one of them now or more normal or something. Kinda bugs me at times.