Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm New:)and Afraid PC won't allow lapband

:straight Hi everyone I'm new and hoping before long I will also be able to share a success story w/you all. I am really impressed w/this site it is so imformative. Im 38yrs.old in MA have 5 boys yeehaw:D Overweight mostly all my life. Tried every diet under the sun and to no avail. Seems as I age the pounds keep creeping on.

I have yet to get the lapband done. I have a new PC and I ran it by him that I will need a referral to see the surgeon I have chosen to do my procedure I see her on the 21'st of this month. The way she works it I guess is you go for 3 visits then she schedules surgery. Now he knows I have to go in a few weeks his response was that I should go see a fellow physcian he knows at another hosp who does gastric bypass only he said for an opinion. I feel I really do not need an opinon as I know what I need to do for myself to feel better. To make a long story short the PC seemed to be more in favor of the gastric bypass which I am flat out against.

I suppose there is no getting around the PC is there if he disagrees? Financially I wouldnt be able to afford it. I hope he doesn't get in the way currently I have swollen feet and have to stay on Fluid pills,acid reflux,asthma,sleep apnea etc etc..

Thanks for listening.:D

Hi Dee

im like you waiting to get the band done ive waited 12 months now my insurance kicks in - Im in Sydney and the op will cost me out of pocket between $3000-$4500 depending on who you go too

I cant advise you about the op in the states but there are many lovely ladies who could

I think if you want the band then this is your choice and your decision and stick by your guns- go for it, look into everything, I also would not want to bypass I work with a girl who had this done and so far she has lost about 132 lbs and still wants to loose about 44lbs or so but this op is not reversable and can cause some problems like dumping ect

How much is the band in the states and is this covered on private medical insurance or do you have to pay it all out of pocket ?

good luck with things and if you really want it I believe it will happen for you

Cheers Ruth

Dee, a lot of people think their PCPs won't support them and then are pleasantly surprised. In most cases the biggest problem is that the PCP just isn't familiar with the band; they bypass is the known thing so that's what they recommend. I even had a doc recommend the VBG (vertical banded gastroplasty), an operation that's unsafe and ineffective so it's RARELY performed anymore, but this particular endocrinologist wasn't up on recent developments and didn't know that.

Stick to your guns!! Tell your PCP that you agree weight loss surgery is indicated, but YOU feel for your health that banding and not RNY is the way to go for you. Tell him you understand all that's involved in the two operations, and that you've made your educated choice. It's not his place to dictate to you, and I think he'll be impressed that you've done your homework and know so much.

If he doesn't know anything about the band, bring him the Inamed patient handbook (print it out from www.Inamed.com). That's what I did and my PCP was very interested--she'd never heard of it before.

I think you'll do fine. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Please arm yourself with as much printed info. as you can find. Most PCPs don't know what this is. It hasn't gotten the publicity that other weight loss surgeries have. If you're going through insurance, be prepared for a long haul (not always the case). Mine first denied, then took eight months. Best of luck!

;) Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your support and imput everyone. Ruthy I am not sure actually the exact cost I think it is about the same here. I am trying to go through my insurance in which they told me that I need to get a refferal from a surgeon before they would allow it. So I'm hoping that will be a go and not long and drawn out. I hope you get to have your op soon as it sounds you have been waiting awhile,must be frustrating. Here I guess it depends on the insurance. Some people I know have to go to Mexico while others don't.

Alexandria thankyou for the link I did print it and plan on bringing it to the doctor,hopefully that will make him more comfortable in his decision.

Thanks New Hope I have been reading alot and printing anything that will help me achieve this as it seems new to alot of people.

I have one question Ladies:) the stoma can that be covered w/a bandage its not the best looking thing. Just thinking what my husband is going to think of it.

I have one question Ladies the stoma can that be covered w/a bandage its not the best looking thing. Just thinking what my husband is going to think of it.

Are you talking about the stomach scars? Those are not the stoma--the stoma is the opening created by the band itself inside your stomach. No one can see that. :)

The scars you may have seen in various photos here are all pretty recent. My scars are virtually invisible now, 9 months down the line. (That doesn't mean I'd wear just a bra in public, but that's not because of my scars. ;) )

From the outside, we banded types look just like everyone else. Except for that self-satisfied smile on our faces. :D

;) Ooops my mistake,I guess what I meant was the port opening itself. Where the needle goes in. LOL i'll get it right as I learn.

No problem! It's a whole new language we learn. ;)

The port is under the skin, and not visible at all under normal circumstances. The largest incision is made at that spot, so the largest scar is there, but even the largest scar is pretty tame. It's the only spot left on my abdomen that a casual glance can detect anything at all.

My port incision is the biggest one. It's a little over one inch long. My husband doesn't notice the port. The other incisions are just about a quarter of a inch. No biggies.