Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it harmful to taste food then spit it out?

Hey everyone! I was just banded last Thursday, and am still on liquid stage, I am very starving....soup broth, Jello, and popcicles just aint cutting it. My in laws brought over pizza and damn it, it smelled better then ever. I took a bite and chewed and chewed and then spit it out. Is that harmful? or bad idea? Am I a bad bandster? Whats going to happen to me? Anyone else do that? I feel that now that I am banded I am so craving every food possible, and i feel like a failure. I haven't ate any of it, but I so want to taste food again. Will this feeling go away? Am I crazy? SOMEONE HELP ME! hehe

:hungry: Is that what they call head hunger? I never experienced this before. Its driving me nuts. Also what happens if I eat a piece of candy tonight? well i die?

~Raynie!:sick

i haven't done this yet - but I have been very tempted to put a pringle on my tongue and suck all the salt off of it.

hehe..... thanks guys..... I dont have the urge to swallow it, Thats good I suppose. Sucking the salt off the pringle sounds so damn good now too! lol ok off to go trick or treating with the kids. I will prolly grab a jaw breaker or a hard piece of candy to eat. after all, i am walking off the calories, and it will be melted by the time it goes down

Raynie

you haven't failed yet girl! I don't see any harm in chew and spit, of course it is kind of ironic that we are feeling like doing a anorexic/bolemic behavior! I have done it with steak! I thought I was going to die on Clear Liquids, but I made it ok! I think of it a lot, because I survived the hell of clear liquids I have more faith in myself and I feel like I can resist so many things now! You can do it!

Zoe

My surgeon places his patients on the AmazeRX Protein Drink on day 2 post surgery. I can only tolerate 3 ounces at a time right now. Anyway, the correct balance of nutrients is his professed key to keeping cravings away. So far, I'm not hungry. . .

I did the "chew & spit" thing during the mushie stage. DH was enjoying a nice lean beef steak, while I had puree mush...whatever. I had DH cut me a small child sized bite. I chewed and chewed till my mouth couldn't chew no more. Then I spit it in my napkin. DH asked me if I felt better. You betcha! I needed that chewing sensation for my sanity. I don't see where it hurts, as long as it is healthy stuff you are chewing & spitting out. Best of luck!

Just be careful that you don't accidently swallow. I've heard of some pretty bizarre stories. People also justify chewing gum in the same way. I'll just chew and chew and then spit it out. Next thing you hear of someone that accidently swallowed it.

If you are really really hungry call your doctor. Some doctors move their patients to mushies from liquids when they are really hungry. Mushie stage is much better because you get a few food items that are filling. Go look at the mushie stage thread for some ideas. One of mine is bean/bacon Soup. I never bought it before but after hearing others rave about it off I went. I can't believe how filling it is. Also refried Beans and chili con queso. Mix them together and enjoy.

5 days after surgery I chewed up 1/2 a piece of pizza, and spit it out.

There seems to be no issue with it, as long as you spit it out.

It was reccomended to me by someone who did gastic bypass.

Oh a steak sounds so yummy! my head hunger is getting better. I actually ate cream of brocolli Soup today- it felt so damn good, I am way too full! Feels a little uncomfortable, I really dont have a need to chew something, its just a need to taste stuff. I wonder what kind of eating disorder this is! :) anyone know? Thanks for all the advice!

I fess, did it with fried chicken. I savored every second. I did spit and must say that after a couple of times, I regained my composure, ahem, and moved forward. I dont consider myself a bad banster, just a human bandster! Its much better than what would have happened before banding, when I would have happily devoured about 3 pieces..... Much better.

After a week surgery I started eating very soft mashed potatoes, and put in a blender a piece of steak with gravy to make it like a puree. You have to avoid the solids. So you can put anything in the blender. On the 3rd day of surgery I was eating McD. Sundaes and shakes instead of a meal, just for variety. Eat mashed potatoes,guacamole, Hummus,refried Beans, sour cream with ONLY 2 soda crackers ( you must chew about 30 times ) , also I ated about 10 Froot loops very slowly with milk 1 at a time about 1 per minute and drink it with any liquid. Eating like this will make the food pass throught without clogging where the stomach is restricted with the band. If you eat the froot loops at once it will clog and start making pressure.You must eat very slow and dissolve it with Water. The liquid and mushie diet is just to make the band attach well to the stomach the more you wait the better.Remember you may have about 10-20 % restriction even if the band is not filled. Do not worry about gaining weight during this period; you will have plenty of time after the band is filled. The most important thing is to add varity during those 4-6 weeks of liquids and mushies. Just try not to force the band once you feel a little pain try eating slower.