Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for support.

Hi, my name is Brandi.

I am brand new to this site, 26 years old, 5' 8" and weigh 257lbs.

I am lookin to talk to people who've had the surgery. My family is firmly against me proceding with the operation. Mostly becuase of the cost. Also becuase they don't want their daughter having surgery. (something which I completely understand) They also keep saying, "well, if you can eat less and lose weight WITH surgery... why can't you eat less and lose weight WITHOUT surgery?"

-They keep quoting cost becuase I have to self pay.

-They keep pointing out how new the procedure is.

-They also want me to talk to people who've had the procedure.

That's why I came here. I need feed back for them. People who've had this done long term and short term. Problems you've encountered. The benefits.

I've done a ton of reading and sent my family the web-site as well. I want them to read all of this to see how positive and benefical the procedure can be for someone who truly needs it.

I know this is what I want to do. I have the money. I just need their support so I can set the date.

Hi Brandi and welcome!

You will find lots of good info here and some really great people.

I was also self-pay so I understand where you are coming from. I was banded May 2 2006 and to date have lost about 47 pounds. I have developed a leak in the tubing connecting the port to the band and am having that replaced on Thursday.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions for you!!

And again..... WELCOME!

I am lookin to talk to people who've had the surgery. My family is firmly against me proceding with the operation. Mostly becuase of the cost. Also becuase they don't want their daughter having surgery. They also keep saying, "well, if you can eat less and lose weight WITH surgery... why can't you eat less and lose weight WITHOUT surgery?"

I couldn't eat less and lose weight without surgery. Not for any length of time. I tried everything, and nothing worked long term. This is working, so far, and much better then anything else I've done.

There are physical things having a band does for you, at least I'm noticing changes. You eat less of course, because it restricts how much you eat. But it also reduced my desire for a lot of junk food. I can walk by most of it indifferently. It's not calling my name anymore. I really enjoy my food when I'm hungry, but when I'm not, I just don't want it. That NEVER happened before, no matter what plan I was following. There is a very real physical change in me that has nothing to do with my willpower or desire to lose or anything like that.

I know this is what I want to do. I have the money. I just need their support so I can set the date.

Why do you feel their support is needed, if you are of age and have the resoures to do it? You might not get it, are you able to go ahead anyway?

Hi Brandi! I think we must be sisters....our parents sure sound a lot alike! lol I'm still waiting to get mine, self pay here as well. Just want to wish all the best on your journey!!

Lisa

Hi Brandi.

Welcome to LBT. I was fortunate enough to have my insurance pay for my surgery, but my sister was self-pay due to her being declined by her insurance company (she appealed 3 times and finally won, so she'll get reimbursement for out of pocket costs). If it was as easy to stop eating and exercise, there would be no overweight people in the world. I could not lose weight without this surgery. I was banded in April, 2006 and just went for my 4th fill (and unfill) today and officially have lost 52 pounds. I have not felt this good physically and emotionally in a long time. I have energy l haven't seen for years and my head is adjusting to the new me. I am liking what I see in the mirror and I've got a long way to go before I'm done. If I didn't have this surgery, next year I would have been 20 pounds heavier than last year and so on and so on. I was so winded just walking, horrible acid reflux, no energy, no stamina, no desire to do anything that I used to love to do. I couldn't fit in chairs with arms, couldn't go through turnstiles, couldn't fit in an airplane seat comfortably without putting the arm rests up and getting a seat belt extender, etc. I don't want that kind of life anymore. I want to travel and do things like a normal person. If your family doesn't want to you have surgery and you have explained the procedure and just the effect it will have on your health (I'm sure they want you to be around for a long time), take them to a seminar to get a better understanding of the surgery itself, but in the end, it's your life you need to live. Your health and happiness are so important so you don't get heart disease, diabetes, stroke, cancer and whatever else comes with an increased risk due to obesity that if the opportunity is there and you are fully aware of the risks and the rewards and you decide for yourself that this is the right road for you, go for it! Be happy and be healthy!

Hi Brandi,

I'm almost in the same boat you are. Most of my family members think the surgery will be great, but my parents don't want me to have it done. So, I feel your pain! I have Medicare so most of my costs will be paid, but if you have the money and this is what you want to do, go for it. I am! I understand their concerns, but I want to be healthy again. I'm 50 years old and I take over 10 prescription medications, so it's something I feel like I have to do for myself. This site will give you lots of information, both good and a few bad experiences, but you need to do what's best for yourself. Keep me informed about your progress. I really do care.

Joan

if you feel that it's the right thing to do then go for it,, family are just around to give you support and a little advice on what's going to happen,,

My husband continues to question my decision but I am going through with this either way (Dec. 22nd). He thinks I'll freak out by the "new" way I have to eat and want them to take it out! My insurance is paying the whole bill too but he just doesn't want this for me. Too bad! I'm doing it. Of course, he will take me to the hospital and hold my hand but he's fighting me the to the end!! Best wishes to you!