Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One reason to tell people

Is that from many, you get lots of support.

Today, my manager went around handing out Cookies. I wasn't at my desk, so she told me that she had left a fat-free pudding for me, but of course I was welcome to a cookie if I wanted one. I thought that was very nice of her.

You have a very nice manager. It's nice to know that the people that you work with actually care. ~Mandy

That's funny b/c, while I'm so glad that you felt it was nice, that would have completely irritated me. One of the reasons I didn't tell anyone at work is b/c I wanted to be able to decide for myself what I wanted to eat w/o feeling like people are watching me. That's only my POV though so I am very happy that your supervisor made you feel so supported. That's all that matters.

I think you have to put the best spin on that. I struggle with not eating that cookie if it walks right up to me. But if it doens't land on my desk - it is so much easier to say no.

I would be happy that my boss made the extra effort to get an appropriate snack just for me. And the fact that the cookie was clearly available if you wanted it was good, too.

:]

Preband, I would have dipped the cookie into the pudding, now I would have some pudding and toss the rest in the trash. I guess sweets just aren't worth it anymore. ~Mandy

...that would have completely irritated me

Yeah, me, too.

I guess we're all different.

I'm a control freak in regard to my own choices -- in that I want them to be MY choices -- good or bad -- and not influenced by anyone else.

That's why I'm not telling anyone -- except my husband -- that I am pursuing the band. If I were to be following a new diet, I wouldn't tell anyone, either. I don't want anyone thinking "I won't offer this to her because she CAN'T have it."

I want that to be a choice for me.

I'm glad that you are comfortable with your situation, however. I'm not putting you down for it in the least.

Again, we're all different.

My two cents.........

That's funny b/c, while I'm so glad that you felt it was nice, that would have completely irritated me. One of the reasons I didn't tell anyone at work is b/c I wanted to be able to decide for myself what I wanted to eat w/o feeling like people are watching me. That's only my POV though so I am very happy that your supervisor made you feel so supported. That's all that matters.

I've been REALLY open about my surgery. And I knew that by doing so, I was opening myself up to people watching what I eat.

Part of it is knowing my co-workers, and knowing they were really on my side, not just watching to see me fail, if that makes any sense. And she handled it really well.

I would be happy that my boss made the extra effort to get an appropriate snack just for me. And the fact that the cookie was clearly available if you wanted it was good, too.

:]

Exactly! It was totally my choice, and she had put the thought into something else for me.

Preband, I would have dipped the cookie into the pudding, now I would have some pudding and toss the rest in the trash. I guess sweets just aren't worth it anymore. ~Mandy

LOL - me too! And topped it off with candy!

It's funny, how I view food has changed totally. I was in the grocery store the other day, one that has these wonderful big(like med pizza sized) frosted chocolate chip Cookies. I told myself that I wouldn't go looking for them, but if I happend to see them, I would get one. Well, I saw them, and honestly they didn't even look appealling. I was able to just say "eh" and walk on. Before surgery, I would have bought one and had it for dinner.

piercedqt78Preband, I would have dipped the cookie into the pudding, now I would have some pudding and toss the rest in the trash. I guess sweets just aren't worth it anymore. ~Mandy

That is hilarious.

I think it was nice of the manager.

Here's another reason to tell: They're going to find out from someone and it may not be you.

I told my HR person, who I ASSUMED was bound to confidentiality. Well, she didn't tell anyone in the office (that I know of), but she did tell a former employee who keeps in touch with everyone at the office. Needless to say, the cat is out of the bag.

I had planned on telling people I had surgery after they started asking what I was doing to lose weight. I just wanted a few months without the nosey questions and food policing and all the other things that come with telling people you're on a diet.

So, go on, tell everyone. You might as well be the one to spread it around.

for some reason this thread made me think of Star Jones. Remember when she lost weight she told everyone she didn't have gastric bypass? Well I don't know for sure but I would lay money on the fact that she did have lapband surgery. I'm not ready to tell everyone I'm getting the surgery and even when I do lose weight and people start asking me I don't think theres a whole lotta peeps out there that I'm going to tell. If another overweight person asks I will definitely tell them how but not the skinny nosey people who just want something to talk about. Last year one of the ladies who come in where I work made a comment about my having a baby - this is not the first or last time - I have that fat baby looking belly - so I'm wondering if she comes in next spring and I've lost weight if she'll think I've had a baby. LOL