Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Canadians with post-op problems?

Since our healthcare is government-funded I feel like doctors take shortcuts to get you in and out quickly.

I drove myself into the emergency department at 2:30am this morning because I couldn't handle this pain in my throat any longer although I had many other (quite severe) symptoms:

-sore throat

-nausea (haven't kept any Protein Shakes down since Wednesday)

-fever

-chills

-abdominal bloating

-dehydration

-muscle soreness all over shoulders and neck

I was sleeved on December 18, so I'm still in the leakage danger zone :S

It was hard to communicate all of this to the triage nurse and doctor, but I think I got it all across. I also did tell them about my surgery and the doctor was astonished... Said I was barely in the obese range with my starting bmi and that I seem too thin to be getting wls and I'd never be approved here. I just wanted to tell him to shove it! I can't go back now!

Anyways... I stayed on IV fluids until 6 am when a new doctor came in and gave me an antibiotic prescription (for my throat) while I was half asleep and didn't give me a chance to ask questions or anything! What about all my flu-like symptoms? What about my surgery? Ugh

They did do abdominal x-rays but what could they see with that? They can't see Fluid with an x-ray machine... I believe I need an ultrasound or something!

Anyways are there any Canadians on here? Anyone have tips for communicating with Canadian doctors? I'm thinking of going to a different hospital tonight and be more direct "I think I have a leak from my vsg surgery..."

Thoughts?

I am Canadian, where did you have your surgery? You really should also contact your surgeon and let them know what is going on. I am sure that they will give you guidance. You will probably be able to speak directly with your surgeon. I did go to a general surgeon here to look at my one incision that was infected as my PCP was concerned. He was an A** and it turned out it healed fine and you can barely see the scar. I hope you get better..................call your surgeon.

I had the same problem. It got to the point that I had to go to ER and ne desydrated before they did anything. Was hospitalisez for 10 days.