Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newby Southern Indiana just starting to perform lapbands

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm thinking about having the lap band surgery. I have been to the seminar and was very impressed. However, I am a little scared. The doctors haven't actually performed this surgery, they are new to this. They have to do 4 surgeries on employees at the hospital and be approved before they can actually perform them on patients.

I went to the ER for a bug bite and the male nurse said "You know if you lost some weight you could come off of some of your meds and be healthier" So I proceeded to tell him I was going to have the lap band performed and he said "ARE YOU SURE" "I have had 3 friends who had the surgery and 2 gained weight and 1 lost" So is the surgery successful or is this just a new get rich thing for the doctors? I understand I have to watch what I eat. No bread, soda, Pasta, rice, I understand first 6 weeks liquids. I understand that these people are not fallowing the doctors recomendations. I guess I'm just scared. I know I want to have the surgery. I hate the way I am and I have tried every diet out there. I'm only 40 and would like to see my grandchildren. My son is only 11 so I have some time to wait. Please I need some encouragment.:faint:

Thanks

Herbgoddess35

Welcome to LBT! I'm from NW Indiana but I visit Southern Indiana alot. My parents live down there. Please don't get discouraged from what other people say. Read, read, and read some more, especially on this site. I'll tell you first hand that it is not "the easy way out" but it is a great tool to help you gain control of what, for me, was out of control-eating. It takes lots of patience, a willingness to change eating habits, and a willingness to follow advice and instructions.

I hope you decide on whats best for you. If it is Lab Band surgery, please know that we will be there for you for support and advice.

Wow, that was fast. He didn't really discourage me, it just kindoff made me mad. First you tell me too loose the weight, then when I say I have a plan you discredit that plan. Meaning him. If dieting worked I would be skinny. Duh.

Thanks so much for your encouragment. I am set on having the band. I'm just in the very beginning of the process. I will read, read and read somemore. Thanks again.

First, when my surgeon did my band, I was only about his 5th lapband patient. However, he is an excellent, very well-qualified surgeon with years of surgery experience, so I was not concerned about his ability to perform my surgery.

As far as does the band work? Yes, but you have to remember that it is simply a weight loss tool. You will have to make healthier eating choices and learn to really listen to your band. When you get whatever your bodies signal will be that you have had enough, then quit eating. I have found that exercise also greatly increases my weight loss efforts.

I have said many times on this board, I refuse to ever diet again. I have dieted all my life and always failed. I will not count calories, points, carbs or anything else again. I just work with my band. I make healthier choices and follow the band rules. By doing this, I am losing the recommended 1-2 pounds a week and am very happy.

I am from SE Indiana. I too am in the preliminary stages. I've been approved for financing and am currently just trying to convince the rest of my family that this is a good decision. All I need to do now is set a date.

I found a very good doctor in Cincinnati who has preform this operation many times. His name is Trace Curry.

Here is the web-site. www.thebanddoctor.com

I met with him a few weeks ago, and I was very impressed.

The dietition on site was a patient. She had lost 80 pounds, and was there to answer questions as somone who had the surgery and was currently living the lifestyle.

They may be able to help... if you on the Eastern side of the state.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am of the belief after reading several reports and a recent message from Dr. Simpson out in AZ that the latest study shows mortality of this procedure at 3 an 16,000 he said that's up and coming in the mag Bariatric Today but he did say all deaths were from surgeons who had done less than 20 So when I found my doc The same as posted above www.thebanddoctor.com he had done 100's. If I'm keeping it real, I'd never go to someone who has done less than a few hundred.