Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Coverage/Surgical Weight Loss Resource

I found a great link that breaks down the requirements, of most national Insurance carriers.

I hope this helps those of us who are waiting, I found my carrier and the requirements are indeed correct. I can't say that this site is 100% accurate I just stumbled upon it, but since they are providing info on MD's that do surgery I would imagine they are legitimate. They provide online live chat also. I just hope this helps relieve some anxiety while you are waiting, or it provides you with additional information so you can have it prior to submitting to your insurance carrier. I also included a report from the American Society of Bariatric Surgeons. :D

http://www.nationalb...ance-guide.html

http://www.nationalb...ric-sleeve.html

http://s3.amazonaws....equirements.pdf

Great Info. I noticed Kaiser wasn't on the list. Kaiser requires a 6 month program with the Nutritionist/Weight Loss Surgery classes.

I don't know if Kaiser is not on the list because, they are the Insurance carrier and a Provider of health services also.

It's interesting because I have Pamera Blue Cross, but my work has modified what they cover to actually cover more but also have a few more things to check off. I keep getting nervous my insurance won't cover the sleeve but I called them and they do as long as its medically necessary and I cover the checklist of things to do. My advice to anyone if they have questions sometimes its best to just call your insurance. Every time I've talked to them they have been surprisingly help and nice!

Thanks for info!! I see that mine has no set rule but is individually decided ???? #oxford

It nice to see this information in black and white, I have been terrified at times when I listen to one person say one thing and another says another about the same carrier. :o

Yes it is always best to call your carrier, however I have seen here on this site people trying to contact their carrier and still not getting information (as if the insurance they are paying for is a Top Secret document) Yes different employers can modify from the carriers options. At least this service can help if anyone is interested.

Yes it is always best to call your carrier' date=' however I have seen here on this site people trying to contact their carrier and still not getting information (as if the insurance they are paying for is a Top Secret document) Yes different employers can modify from the carriers options. At least this service can help if anyone is interested.[/quote']

No I agree with you! I was lucky to have a helpful insurance company and an employer that expanded the benefits. For others who don't have that this is great information! And yeah it's funny how stories can be told about one insurance company saying something and then something completely different to the next person.

Just when my fears are subsiding I hear another story, Yikes!! I called my carrier and they told me the information I needed, my issue was with the physicians office. One of the coordinators told me All plans have a MD supervised weight loss waiting period. As if I weren't a wreck already my carrier doesn't require it, I told her I would not come to see the surgeon until she knew this for sure. I couldn't imagine going through all of this for nothing. SCARY :o

I have to say the waiting and not knowing of this process is almost too much to bear. I wish you good luck on your Journey! My appointment with the Surgeon is Monday my knees are shaking as I sit here. Wish me luck :)