Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie...and a little frightened

Hello all, I'm brand new to not only this forum, but to this whole world. I have struggled with my weight as long as I can remember...I have tried every option out there- hitting the gym in boot-camp style 3 hours day for 15 weeks, lost 10 pounds...weight watchers 16 weeks, lost 15 pounds...BodyByVi shakes program lost 8 pounds....walking 6 miles/day and my own healthy diet routine lost 10 pounds...Adipex for over two years now- down 20# total.

Nothing seems to work, I have become so uncomfortable in my own body that I know it's time for a change. I've exhausted my efforts. I met with my doctor for the first time and really discussed my options for bariatric surgery. I'd never even heard of "gastric sleeve" unitl yesterday. Based on the reserach I've done so far- I'm leaning towards it over the lap band (I've heard SO many horror stories about the band..).

I'm a little scared about the permanence of the sleeve...anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm 27, and afraid I'm going to do something to my body that in 5 years science and research shows was a terrible choice.

Currently I'm about 80-90# heavier than I'd like to be, my bmi is 36.5 and I have terrible back aches, Migraines, and knee pain every day. I'm ready for a change, but scared about making the decision. I have a seminar on 1/15 that is put on by the surgeon I was referred to, so I'm hoping to get more peace of mind then, but I welcome any input or insight anyone has for me as well :)

I think it is great that you are looking out for yourself and looking into the sleeve. Our paths sound very similar. Fad diets, the up and up workout routines. Losing and gaining, losing and gaining.

You won't find anyone discouraging your journey on here- we are all about supporting everyone with their journey so this is a great place for information and support. Keep coming back here and your decision will become clearer and clearer regardless of whether you decide for surgery or not. Good luck!!!

Thank you :) I'm trying to find a good medium or balance of information and personal input- seems like those that don't have my problem are like- surgery, that's ridiculous- just diet you, really have to try, you have to want it...like anyone wants to be overweight..? But I also have done some digging and was SOLD on the lap band, only to realize all the research I'd been doing was on a "lap band" sponsored site- they sell it- of course it's all great stories.

I just want my life back, I want to be healthy to be around for my kids- and I'm scared to make a choice that I think is healthy now, to find out it shortens my life in the long run...am I overthinking this?? I'm trying not to be like- yay! surgery and I'll be normal! (although, I have had that cross my mind...can't lie).

Just wanting to be sure I make the right choice.

I truly understand where you are right now... I was in your shoes could not make up my mind doing research after research but I just ultimately got fed up with being over weight. I am 130lbs over weight and I am miserable so I have decided to put my big girl panties on and do what best for me and my future to live a healthier life. I am sure many people who are not over weight or people who do not understand what you are going through will say you are taking the easy way out.... I can assure you its not the easy way out the verticle sleeve surgery is a tool to help you lose weight and become healthier. I have not had my sleeve done yet but I will have it in 10 days and I can not wait.... I am just looking forward to losing more than 10 to 20 lbs because I also have never lost over that on all these fad diets. But I think you have come to the right place if you are looking for support and great advice... I love this site and the support I get from it.

I too was initially leaning towards the lapband, however I didn't really care for the back and forth of the fillings. I also once worked for a bariatric surgeon and from what I saw not everyone was successful with the Lapland it really was hit or miss, and I didn't want to take that chance. I really didn't know about the sleeve until I went to my surgical weight loss seminar. It was perfect for me. It did not have the malabsorption issues that the gastric bypass had, but it did have similar weight loss stats, and it was not as invasive as the gb. I also liked that I wouldn't have to be back every little while for poking and proding like the Lapland.

If I was going to have weight loss surgery I wanted to do it once and do it right. So I am 9 months post op and I'm -92 lbs. I love my sleeve. Unlike the gb I can eat a piece of sweet cake and not worrying about dumping. There are no real long term restrictions with the sleeve, everything in moderation. The sleeve is a great tool to help with the moderation part.

Ultimately this is a very personal decision. Research, talk to people and ask all the questions that you need to. Best of luck to you.

Just in case you need some inspiration I've attached some before and after photos. As now I am queen of the camera... Lol

post-23047-13813661931266_thumb.jpg

post-23047-13813661931825_thumb.jpg

post-23047-13813661932363_thumb.jpg

post-23047-1381366193313_thumb.jpg

post-23047-13813661933907_thumb.jpg

My surgery was 7 months ago and it was so worth it. I'm 33 years old myself and I don't ever want to be big again. I did a lot of fad diets myself, LA Weight Loss, Meridia rX from the dr, etc. I always put it back on plus some. My BMI was 52 in May and I think I'm around 31, averaging 15 lbs a month loss more in the beginning though. I couldn't have lost it without VSG. It's not easy, you can eat 4oz of anything you choose too, but eat Protein first and stick to healthier Snacks and it is doable. Honestly, 1 grilled chicken strip & a few bites of veggies fills me up like Thanksgiving dinner and I used to easily put away 2 big plates of food plus dessert.

I don't see any long term bad effects, when I lose all my weight I will up my calories/times I eat per day. I started my pre-op diet first week of May with only mushy/pureed veggies & fruit, broth, juice, & Water until 3 days before my surgery on May 25 and that was the hardest going cold turkey off sugar & soda. Then right after surgery learning how to baby sip Water and count Protein was a learning curve. Now? I'm pretty good at eyeballing 4oz portions and stopping when I'm full and I feel totally normal I just eat less. Good luck on the decision :).

Thank you! You are exactly what I needed! lol

I'm really glad I found this site- becuase I think regardless it's going to be a journey I'll want support on, and while I have an amazing husband, and a great family- nobody can understand it like someone that has done it...so thank you very much.

My seminar is in 11 days, so I'll have more info on the options then...but I feel a lot like you both do, I want to do this and do it right, and do it once...

Chitowngirl you look GREAT! :) How inspiring!

Ok, on to the next question...how was recovery? Like...actual SURGERY recovery? how long were you out? how was the pain? etc.

You do not need all those details now. You have a long journey and many things to go thru to get to the surgery. It is major surgery and changes the way you eat forever.

I am 5 weeks post op and have lost 33 lbs. I wish they had had this surgery when I was your age. My life would have been so much different and healthier. I am 66 with many illnesses and I hope as time goes on they improve.

Go to the seminar, read posts here as often as possible, and make an educated opinion. Best of luck.

I went to Mexico and was in the hospital 2 days and hotel 3 days before flying home. I didn't have pain after surgery. I was naseated and threw up blood the first night, which is normal. It's different for everyone. Two days after surgery I went to a bull fight & shopping. Six days I was back at work. It's very similar for me to gallbladder removal if you've had that done.

yes I have had my gallbladder removed, it acted up following my last solid weight loss..which apparently is pretty typical. I'm just trying to get an idea becuase work, and my children also need to be taken into consideration when I make my final choice. My husband is obviously around to help, but I read one the hospital's site where it said 3-4 weeks until you can return to work, although that lead me to believe it must have been the actual gastric bypass they were referring to.

I actually had a really easy recovery. I didn't have to take any pain meds, and i barley used the morphine pump at the hospital. If I had to describe the pain I would say my stomach felt soar like I did 1000 sit ups. I was actually really fatigued the first two months. Once I had my blood drawn i was low on some Vitamins so I had to do take a duo me dose of Vitamins, which I totally don't mind because I take gummy vitamins, which are such a treat.

I didn't come out eating the recommended 60g of Protein, but I was gradually able to build up to that. With the Water also it took me a while to start drinking enough Water. What I did was focus on one thing at a time. First I worked on getting my water in. Once I was able to do that I worked on my Protein then last I focused on my vitamins. To get a handle of everything took me about 3 weeks. I know some people come out able to do it all but that is not so common.

I have been reading the "struggling sleeve" section...just to make sure I'm taking in all angles..again, trying to balance knowing, and freaking myself out lol.

Seems like a lot of people have problems with simply getting anything in at first...lots of complaints of feeling weak and drained. I'm a little worried about that, but it seems, even on the posts where people are upset- they ultimately get the hang of it- and lots of folks here supporting them, which is nice.

Surgery is scary no matter how you prep for it- just seems everyone I've talked to about this all say, "wow- that's really permanent, are you sure???" which is making me question it all the more. Ya know?

You will get lots of good information from the seminar. I was planning to have RNY but after the seminar, decided against it. My surgeon has done over 1000 RNY and has had no deaths, and they are a center of excellence. I opted for the sleeve because I didn't want the malapsorption, and I wanted to be able to take NSAIDs again some day.

As for the surgery, it is a major surgery, so expect that type of recovery. I needed and took plenty of morphine in the hospital, used my vicodin at home for a couple of days, but overall I thought it was not that bad. I did get a post op infection in one of my incisions, but it's about healed now.

The office told me some people have the surgery on a Wednesday and go back to work on the following Monday, but I'm going to be off about 3 1/2 weeks. I've been able to move around the house, went visiting for all the holidays, and I am walking 1-2 miles daily. All in all, not too bad!