Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyones back pain gotten better after surgery?

My back is constantly going out. Makes me feel totally helpless and with 3 kids and a busy life that's not a good thing. I keep blaming my back trouble on my weight but would like some other opinions. Has anyone who had back troubles before banding been back-pain free since loosing weight? (Back is out at the moment so I'm probably grasping for straws!!!)

Thanks for any good or bad news!

Not back pain free, sorry to say...BUT the improvement is astonishing!!! Mine has been hurting, but it was from hauling 2 truckloads of wood. Wood I helped load and unload and stack....it hurt with reason! My back issues are a herniation of L-4 & L-5 at an S-1 station. As far as it just going out anymore, it is rare. Usually when I hurt, it is with good reason, but I am doing soooooo much more than I did 70 pounds ago it is un-comparable!

One thing I have never heard of anyones back getting worse, from the weight loss. As you lose the weight and feel like you can do things again, you build your muscle tone back up, and that really helps a lot.

Sorry you are having trouble now. I don't think lapband surgery is a cure all for back pain, but it has helped the severity of mine but mostly the frequency of having painful episodes.

Good Luck!

Kat

Its the one thing that hasnt improved much. Not that I have a bad back but I do suffer a touch of piriformis syndrome - my sciatic nerve runs right through the piriformis muscle and if I allow my lower back and buttocks to become tight then it squeezes the nerve and I get sciatic pain. I almost never take a run without some form of sciatic aggravation which generally goes away once the endorphin rush kicks in at about 2kms in, lol.

But overall that is better than it used to be, it was very easy to set off before, now not so much. Every other physical ailment i had has improved markedly.

I sleep so much better, that's what amazes me. I used to get back discomfort at night and I likened it to when I was heavily pregnant, I'd lay on my side and my hips would just ache (and wake me) due to the huge weight through my pelvis. I'd started getting that through both my pelvis AND my shoulder girdle due to the weight of my boobs and my belly (which werent that huge). So I'd sleep poorly every night just due to this moderate discomfort. All that's gone.

My body's biomechanics are definitely better too - posture and gait have both measurably improved (says the podiatrist) due to weight loss.

And I was only a relatively modest BMI of 36 so it really does make you wonder just how hard it is on the body to support morbid obesity levels of 40 and higher. You cant fail to feel better in lots of respects from losing weight like that.

I have four herniated discs in my lower lumbar and although those will never heal, the pain has gotten so much better now. My back used to freak out and I would get the sensation that two discs just clinked against eachother and it was excruciating. I also would have terrible sciatica and pain that would last for days.

I did injections in my back which seemed to help a little but the steroids in the darn shots made me gain so much more weight which ultimately added to the problems. My point is...the surgery helped me break the cycle of exercise...hurt back again...gain weight. The cycle was broken! I was able to lose enough weight in a short enough time to start making a real difference in my back pain.

Back pain, as you know, is tricky. Once you've messed up your back there really isn't a way to fix it. But, you can make real strides toward getting things in control. That's where I am. I haven't shed a tear from back pain for months now. It depends on your specific problems so I can't promise but...I can say that I suspect your back will become much more tolerable and manageable when some weight comes off.

I'm looking forward to your success and to finding some relief from your pain. I definately, definately understand where you're coming from!

Thank you all! They don't seem to be able to find anything in scans or x-rays (had more than my share!). I live on a farm and slipped a disc in 1992 trying to crawl over a gate with 2 buckets of feed to feed pigs. Never had any problems until pregnancy. With my first son it felt like everything was cut off. For absolutely no reason I wouldn't be able to move my legs to stand. Then the next pregnancy (twins) it was the same. Except for that, I didn't seem to have too much trouble but over the last couple of years it is getting worse. I was out of commision from Christmas last year until about April. Finally found someone to get it back in, have stayed with him throughout the summer. Usually make sure I go right after Sea Doo rides, baleing hay, planting crops....you get the picture! Once again as soon as I got done combineing I was hurting really bad. It's sad when the life/career you have chosen puts you in pain. I love living in the country and being married to a farmer but am sick of this back going out.

Thanks again for any and all opinions. It really does help to "vent"!!!!

I'm right there with ya. I do pretty good, but bucking bales, or building fences, or branding cows, all make me sore and achy the next day. Thinking mine is AKA middle age!!!

Kat