Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I started my WLS journey a month ago and I have to admit , I'm terrified! So scared of not having a full stomach and how life will be after surgery. I'm 5'3 320 pounds . Suffering from GERD & Hiatal hernia. There's days I can control my GERD but times when everything I eat comes up or acid . In my mind the only way I can get this hernia thing done and lose the weight is going through with the WLS. At times I just want to get the hernia fixed on its own and try and see if I can lose the weight on my own.. It just terrifies me the fact that I won't have a normal stomach. Any advice? :(

Hey, Have the doctor's given you and option to work on ur GERD on its own?

When you say a "normal" stomach, do you mean the one that allows you to make 3 trips through the all-u-can-eat trough or the one that "normal" people have where they eat a well balanced, correctly portioned meal?

If it is the first, I don't want that anymore and if it is the latter, than the procedure has given me a "normal" stomach, so ...

I, too, had a hiatal hernia repair during my procedure. I had terrible reflux, but now, I do not battle it at all. Zero. It solved my problems with reflux and there is a good chance it will for you, too.

That's amazing, Im sure its very scary situation, But just think about all the positive this surgery can do for u.

07/08/2011 - It was outpatient with Dr Umbach in Las Vegas (baby!)

Hi everyone,

I started my WLS journey a month ago and I have to admit , I'm terrified! So scared of not having a full stomach and how life will be after surgery. I'm 5'3 320 pounds . Suffering from GERD & Hiatal hernia. There's days I can control my GERD but times when everything I eat comes up or acid . In my mind the only way I can get this hernia thing done and lose the weight is going through with the WLS. At times I just want to get the hernia fixed on its own and try and see if I can lose the weight on my own.. It just terrifies me the fact that I won't have a normal stomach. Any advice? :(

Today I'm eating shrimp and steak. I can eat anything - but I don't. You will still enjoy food. I'm a TOTAL foodie. I just eat healthy and in the proper proportions.

You've got to do this. I was 5'1" 246 pounds and I was literally dying.

When you say a "normal" stomach, do you mean the one that allows you to make 3 trips through the all-u-can-eat trough or the one that "normal" people have where they eat a well balanced, correctly portioned meal?

Oh how I love this point that he made here and I think it's important to note. What all of us have known as a normal stomach is actually abnormal - this surgery is amazing and wonderful and turns your stomach back into normal. Yes it can be a very scary thing in your mind but the reality of it for me is if I had to do it over again I wouldn't think twice and would absolutely do it again - it is so worth it.

I totally agree with PDXman. I love my new stomach. I love that I can get full on a little bit of anything. I feel great!!

Christy, the only thing I regret is not having the surgery sooner in life. Your new sized stomach will restrict u to eat " normal" sized portions. Good luck :-)

Omg! Thanks so much for all your advices . I wanted be honest. I would really like to try losing the weight on my own because (and i opologize ahead to anyone that has had the surgery I don't want to sound insulting) I want to feel normal but a part of me says I'm going to go through the yo to dieting and never really rich my goal meanwhile I'm still obese and in danger of (god forbid) getting a heart attack etc. it's just so overwhelming having to pick and not know what can happen afterwards. But I really do appreciate all your advices and congratulate those that have had the surgery and reached their goal and are living a new life! ❤

Dolce0405 when was your surgery and how are you feeling after? I know you would do it again but would you really? :)

I'm am only 16 days post op and I have lost 26 pounds. I started at 260. The first 3 days suck. I am not going to lie. Not really pain but no energy. U just don't feel like moving. Day 4 I started to feel so much better. To answer ur question of I would really do it again, of course I wish I could of done this without surgery but I have tried so many times and failed. I. Would do great for a week and that would be it. This surgery prevents u from " cheating". I did not have any medical issues before the surgery. I did this strictly bc I wanted to look a d feel better and prevent any future issues. I am a nurse and I see the problems obesity causes all the time. This is not something that u can just jump into. It is also important to talk to a therapist a deal with any issues that may attribute to over eating. It's great that u r asking questions. I wish I saw this site a long time ago.