Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I am new here and I have decided to have lap-band surgery. Though I have had some try to convince me to have RNY by-pass, I know that is not the right choice for me.

I have total support from my husband and my family so I am SOOOO excited. I really can't wait to start this whole journey.

I can't wait to hear all of your advice and to pick your brains:)

Hi, Joyful. I'm from New York too. It's a big decision. The first doctors I went too encouraged me to have the RNY too. I wasn't comfortable with the rerouting process myself and was leaning towards the lapband from the start. However, when my husband and sister learned of the possible complications, they emphatically let me know there was no way I was having a bypass. I switched to a different surgeon because I feel it's important for the surgeon to believe in what he does in order to support me. I don't have a date for surgery yet, but I'm hoping for January if all goes well.

Good luck.

Regards... Debi

Hi Joyful,

Welcome to LBT. I too am from NY. I had my surgery 7 weeks ago at Lenox Hill Hospital. I have to agree. RNY was too extreme for me. Changing the anatomy of the stomach and intestines is very scary.

The weight loss is a little slow for me but, I honestly believe thats because I'm not trying as hard as I should.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us informed.

This is my FIRST post! I too am from NYC and am getting banded this sunday (11.6). I am having the procedure done with Dr.Ren at NYU Medical. I never considered the RNY - for the same reasons - way too extreme! I have to admit that now that the time is coming closer I am totally freaking out. It's so NOT the right time to question the decision I've made - I have been on the liquid diet for 9 days and don't feel like I'm 100% myself.

Good luck with everything - do you have a date or have you just started the journey?

Best of luck...

maureen

My sister had RNY in Aug. and she has lost 65 lbs but she is having a lot of problems due to the rerouting thing. She can't eat anything without getting sick. So I am NOT doing that. I am using Dr. Geiss at North Shore Syosett on LI.

I just want the date to come already and I don't even have a date yet:). Well I am really glad to meet you guys, and I am sure I will be hearing your success stories soon enough:)

I know that feeling of just wanting the date to get here! Before I had my date I was really trying to eat all the foods I thought I would not be able to enjoy again - pizza, donuts etc. The funny thing is - I'm not a big donut eater but it was just the reality that I might not eat it again that triggered my want for it.

Needless to say, I nearly made myself sick, eating all the food I wanted - whenever I wanted - that when I was given the date, I had to start the liquid diet in 3 days!! I felt ready though - I was actually SICK of all the careless eating I was doing and felt bad emotionally.

Well, best of luck to you all!!

maureen