Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I be regular again?

I'm 5 days out of surgery, down 9.5 pounds, and feeling great. The only problem I'm having is going to the bathroom, I feel like I really need to go but can only go a little bit. I can't eat prunes and I'm scared to try laxatives.... What can I do to be regular again?

Have you tried prune juice? My friend swears by it, I had a painful incident with some laxatives the doctor gave me. So I'm going I give prune juice a go!

My first BM wasn't until 5 days out. Perfectly normal after surgery.

I am a month out and still can't poop unless I take milk of magnesia. I've amped up Fiber in my diet but that still hasn't done the trick. I've read that prilosec can cause Constipation so I am guessing that is contributing to the problem on top of eating mostly Protein. Looking forward to being able to eat leafy greens.

I would suggest adding Miralax to your daily regime. You can divide the dosage between am/pm. It's mellow. Takes about 24 hours to work. Make sure you get in your liquids as miralax absorbs liquids in your body to work. At 4+ months out I still take it on occasion. You won't have lots of bm's so soon post-op but the major complaint is Constipation, so if you can prevent it, you'll be ahead of the game. :-)

You can also do a search on here. Many people have all kinds of suggestions! Consulting your doc is always a good idea too. Across the board, all docs seems to agree that Miralax is good and safe. Good luck!

I was using a stool softener every other any and then miralax every other other day :) I am about 2 1/2 months out and seem to be getting a bit more regular. As you start eating solids amp up the fiber as well and you should be okay. It will be less than before because you are eating less.

I take a stool softener a couple if times a week and all is well now, at 11 weeks out. In the beginning, I had to to take it very day to keep things moving. Once you can eat more and get all of your Water in, it gets way easier. (<----pun intended!)

Thank you all for your help. I tried coffee this morning and it seemed to help, hopefully that's all it takes but I'll keep the other ideas in mind for later down the road.

Smooth Move Tea....tastes good and works wonderful. I use it about once a week. You can find it in the grocery stores tea isle.