Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

which dr. in houston dr.spivak or dr.spiegel

hello everyone thanks to all for replies on last thread. I got my wifes appoval now she just wants to know who is the best dr. in houston. I also would like to know if anybody has unicare insurance and has been accepted. I hear alot about drs. spivak and spiegel need some feed back. how much is private pay and is their any payment plans. :help:

I went with doctor Spivak simply for his surgical skills and FDA trials with the band. You can go to his website (www.bandmd.com) and read his bio. His staff is great and very attentive as well.

I am self pay. I used capital one. It was so easy and hassel free.

Melissa Lea

I went to Dr. Spiegel for his surgical skills. He has no bedside manner. Neither doctor is great at aftercare, but Dr. Spivak seems to be "loved" by his patients. Both use the surgicenter for surgeries and for fills. It just depends on what you want. I was looking for the best surgeon. Others may look for a combination of surgeon and aftercare. Dr. Matthew St. Laurent seems to have a good following as well and takes lots of time with his patients.

Good luck.

Both are superb surgeons. You can gather all the personal preferences of others that you want, but in the end, you decide. They use the same facility and their staffs are similarly trained. I used Spiegel and was extremely pleased; others have used Spivak and been just as pleased. I believe Spiegel has done a few hundred more lap bands, but the only one that mattered to me was MINE and that one he did extremeley well.

Best of luck to you; make a decision and get on the road to Band Land. You'll never regret your decision. If you're self-pay, check into Capital One Healthcare Finance.

I had mine done by Dr. Spivak and he was WONDERFUL. His resume posted on his website is very impressive. I asked a family friend who is a surgeon to read over it and he too was impressed. Be aware, Dr. Spivak is a very busy man....in and out of the office very quickly but is truly warm, reassuring and is a firm believer that there is no other way to lose weight and keep it off permanently. Cost out of pocket is $15,500...or 15,000 if you pay it off up front. The office staff can give you a list of creditors who will work with you on a payment plan...sort of like a credit card. Good luck!

I used Speigel, I am very happy with my choice. From all I've read though you can't go wrong with either of these guys, they are both very skilled surgeons. I liked Dr. Speigels bedside manner btw, some people don't get his personality, but to me he comes off as very smart. Good luck with whomever you choose! I'd recommend going to both seminars and then deciding. www.felixspiegelmd.com is Speigels website.

I went with doctor Spivak simply for his surgical skills and FDA trials with the band. You can go to his website (www.bandmd.com) and read his bio. His staff is great and very attentive as well.

I am self pay. I used capital one. It was so easy and hassel free.

Melissa Lea

Hi Melissa. I just got banded by Dr. Spivak on July 16, 2008. I was wondering how you were doing now. Have yoiu reached your goal and are you still a part of the monthly support group at Dr. Spivak's office?

Dr. Spivak, hands down. I had an unfortunate experience with the office staff at Dr. Spiegel's (like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing...I kept getting calls from them about an appointment I had changed...and calls and calls....). When something like that happens a RED FLAG goes up. I have no doubt Spiegel is a trusted surgeon, but Spivak's "bedside manner" topped it off. He is wonderful and I cannot say enough about him, and his staff.:ohmy:

Been with Spivak over a year now and never had a single problem getting in immediately when I needed to, or having to wait to get an appointment.

hi,

i will start off saying the choice of doctor is truly personal to what someone prefers.

i went to dr spivak and the surgery and the aftercare has been amazing (not sure how someone who hasn't gone to dr spivak can say his aftercare isn't good.)

in fact i would say aftercare is just as important as the surgery it self. and his was top shelf (he has renewed my faith in doctors)

he is available whenever i need him. half the time i didn't need him and worked with his truly amazing staff.

i was self pay and it cost 12,900.

his experience with the FDA trials and the fact he trained many of the texas doctors was a factor in helping me to make my decision to go with him.

since they both give seminars maybe go to both and see which style you like.

Just a word here. My best friend had her band done by Dr. Spiegel. He botched it so bad, so almost died. She had to have the whole thing redone and is seeing another surgeon now. She also said she felt like a cow in a cattle processing plant on her day of surgery with Speigel. (Her words) She said there were so many patients waiting for surgery that day they were literally lined up in the hallways. She said it was impersonal and a little offesnsive. She wished she had trusted her gut instinct right then and there and left. would have saved her months of pain and anguish. When she started having problems, and calling Speigels office, she was basically ignored. By the time she found another surgeon who would take her case, she was critical. Just food for thought.

Scary. I almost went to Spiegel but I was so turned off in dealing with his staff that I decided to go with Spivak instead. Since I was self-pay I had the freedom to choose. Hearing all these wonderful things about Spivak makes me very glad of my choice.

Hi All, I am new and considering having the lapband in a few weeks. I am trying to decide between Spiegel and Spivak. After care is really important to me. I am also from out of country and wondering if there is anyone out their from Africa.

It's been 6 months since I've been banded and I have to say, I have been extremely happy with the aftercare I've received from Dr. Spivak's office. My vote is Dr. Spivak every time.