Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

are there any sleevers here who have had leaks from cheating on their post op diets?

It's true, the varying degrees of postop diets can be so confusing and if yours seems particulary strict, I can totally see where you would want to say, well, if they can do it, why not me? My son and I were sleeved together on the same day. He is 22 and I'm 53. Even a couple of little things were different between my son's postop rules, and mine. What I'm saying is, to add to the great info Butterthebean posted, there are so many differences even between my son and I and we have the same surgeon. Factors could include, age and weight and height of each individual. I find it all so confusing and I just hope, if we follow the rules, we will minimize our risk of complications.

I don't think you can say exactly what causes a leak. I wouldn't be quick to blame it on the surgeon, either, unless you find out that his percentage of leaks was high. I know that I take a few spoons of Soup and worry that I have expanded my new tumtum too much.

This has been a very hot topic over the last few weeks. And I've got to say that things can get pretty heated and very preachy. Now, I know the "preachy" posters mean well and many have survived very harrowing life threatening complications (Iggy is one of them ...she nearly died). BUT, when chastising one person for "cheating" based on his/her particular doctor's conservative guidelines you are completely discrediting the other 50% of the docs who have more liberal guidelines.

It is obvious from the wildly varied physicians post surgery instructions and "absolutes" that there is NO standardized guidelines. One surgeon allows mushy foods in the hospital, one says Clear liquids for 7 days, another one says Clear Liquids for 2 days then full liquids for 7 days then mushy, the next one says full liquids immediately after a leak test..... and on and on. One of the recent threads has a poster who was allowed STEAK 3 weeks!!!!!

Obviously there is no consensus....and I'd find it hard to believe that the docs who are more liberal with post-op diets are incompetent or negligent. And in order to be so arrogant about one surgeons individual directives over another, that is the approach you would have to take. So, at this point I believe that the more conservative docs may be in CYA mode because people can be given and inch and take a mile. And I can say with almost certainty that the more liberal docs have never run into a complication that they believe was caused by patient compliance or their liberal guidelines. If they would have they would have immediately turned to the conservative route because malpractice sucks....

Now, to my individual experience. My doc's instructions fall into the conservative category... (clear liquids for 7 days then full liquids for 7 days then mushy).... I am 11 days out and for me to believe it poses a danger to eat some mushy oatmeal or thinned mash pototoes would mean I would have to believe that half the bariatric surgeons in the US are incompetent and negligent. Now, that does not mean I'm going to go hog wild and order a pizza and eat a steak tomorrow. I have no intention of eating solids until I've progressed along the actual phases. I am using common sense, my own research and my brain to make choices.

This has been a very hot topic over the last few weeks. And I've got to say that things can get pretty heated and very preachy. Now, I know the "preachy" posters mean well and many have survived very harrowing life threatening complications (Iggy is one of them ...she nearly died). BUT, when chastising one person for "cheating" based on his/her particular doctor's conservative guidelines you are completely discrediting the other 50% of the docs who have more liberal guidelines.

It is obvious from the wildly varied physicians post surgery instructions and "absolutes" that there is NO standardized guidelines. One surgeon allows mushy foods in the hospital, one says Clear Liquids for 7 days, another one says clear liquids for 2 days then full liquids for 7 days then mushy, the next one says full liquids immediately after a leak test..... and on and on. One of the recent threads has a poster who was allowed STEAK 3 weeks!!!!!

Obviously there is no consensus....and I'd find it hard to believe that the docs who are more liberal with post-op diets are incompetent or negligent. And in order to be so arrogant about one surgeons individual directives over another, that is the approach you would have to take. So, at this point I believe that the more conservative docs may be in CYA mode because people can be given and inch and take a mile. And I can say with almost certainty that the more liberal docs have never run into a complication that they believe was caused by patient compliance or their liberal guidelines. If they would have they would have immediately turned to the conservative route because malpractice sucks....

Now, to my individual experience. My doc's instructions fall into the conservative category... (clear liquids for 7 days then full liquids for 7 days then mushy).... I am 11 days out and for me to believe it poses a danger to eat some mushy oatmeal or thinned mash pototoes would mean I would have to believe that half the bariatric surgeons in the US are incompetent and negligent. Now, that does not mean I'm going to go hog wild and order a pizza and eat a steak tomorrow. I have no intention of eating solids until I've progressed along the actual phases. I am using common sense, my own research and my brain to make choices.

Did someone say preachy :P just kidding.

Regular, regular food since surgery day?

I'm wondering the same thing...

I can't find any documentation to support this theory either. All documentation I have read attributes leaks to the healing or non-healing of the staple line. I do think some people on this site go overboard about this. From what I have read' date=' if you eat something your stomach can't cope with you will either vomit or it will pass through quickly (dumping). Alcohol has a risk of giving you ulcers but I can't find anything to link it to leaks.

The people on this site who have experienced leaks are very vocal about what you should eat and drink but are quick to state that they got a leak through no fault of their own.

I totally agree that if you have had this surgery you should be following your doctors orders but if you have the occasional slip-up others should not be terrorizing you that you will get a leak.[/quote']

I think the ppl who has had leaks from surgery not do to what they eat are so emotional about leaks because they've been through it so for some one to but them selves at great risk to possibly get a leak from not following doctor orders is very sensitive for them no one really knows if you can get a leak or not from doing this but the possibilities and from what they've been through is not worth it to them in my opinion I'm not sleeved but I'm tryna see from that point of view I no I'm some what of topic I just wanted to respond to this statement

I agree with you, I am sure that having a leak is extremely bad and those who get one suffer a lot. My surgeon told me there was a likelihood I would die if I got a leak. I had to think about the surgery for 18 months after that but still decided to go ahead. All I was trying to say was that I think the reasons you get leaks are being misrepresented by some people. Most leaks occur in the first 4 days after surgery when most people are still struggling to drink Water let alone eat a steak.

The only way you can 100% ensure that you don't get a leak is not to have this surgery.

There is no doubt that it is possible that it is possible to create a leak by introducing solids or over eating early on.

One thing you have to remember is the nerves in your stomach are basicly sent into shock when the surgery takes place. You lose the vast majority of sensation for a period of time.

I wish I could remember the post, but, one of our members works for a bariatric surgeon and has seen a number of leaks for this exact reason. She has even told about a man that ruptured his staple line the day he left the hospital, and died.

When I was researching this surgery back in June 2011 I read a post about a girl that had a surgeon that told them a story. The surgeon did a routine sleeve, all was fine, and he was discharged. This patient apparently ordered a pizza 3rd day post op, and apparently ate enough to rip his staple line, and didn't seek medical care. He was found dead with a half eaten pizza! Scared the crap out of me!

My surgeon had a lady that ate Subway....Subway! I couldnt even hold down broth after surgery! How the heck could you put a Subway Sandwich in that little tummy? Anyways she blew her sutures and leaked, hospital for 3 months.

I'm not doubting these stories but I am 7 weeks out now and if I have one bite more than my sleeve can hold I spend 30 mins in the bathroom throwing up. How do they do it?

Agreed Aussie, but in my docs office this woman was a legend. Apparently when she originally came in after she did it she told him she just ate a cracker. Duh...like he isn't gonna figure it out when he goes in and sees all the toppings! So every time I leave he says " no Subway!"

I'm not doubting these stories but I am 7 weeks out now and if I have one bite more than my sleeve can hold I spend 30 mins in the bathroom throwing up. How do they do it?

We are not all the same. I have over eaten once or twice. I've eaten sweets and fatty foods.... but I have never thrown up. Besides, the act of regurgitation seems extremely hard on a new sleeve. I would not think of throwing up as a protective mechanism.

There is no doubt that it is possible that it is possible to create a leak by introducing solids or over eating early on.

One thing you have to remember is the nerves in your stomach are basicly sent into shock when the surgery takes place. You lose the vast majority of sensation for a period of time.

I wish I could remember the post' date=' but, one of our members works for a bariatric surgeon and has seen a number of leaks for this exact reason. She has even told about a man that ruptured his staple line the day he left the hospital, and died.[/quote']

I remember that thread. The poster worked for a bariatric surgeon. The thread turned into a huge rant thread and was deleted.

We are not all the same. I have over eaten once or twice. I've eaten sweets and fatty foods.... but I have never thrown up. Besides' date=' the act of regurgitation seems extremely hard on a new sleeve. I would not think of throwing up as a protective mechanism.[/quote']

I don't choose to throw up, it just happens and believe me it's not pleasant and not at all a protective mechanism. I believe it's fairly common in the first couple of months.

Told my my doctor that the phases were to keep me safe!