Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gastric band after gastric bypass

I am new to this site and I was hoping to find some compadres out there who have had similar experiences. I had gastric bypass in 1998 when I was 365lbs. I lost about 140-150 lbs. and I was not thin but I was comfortable and very happy. In 2002 I was under extream stress and I was depressed. I began to be able to eat more and although I was frightened I couldn't seem to find a way to stop it. After extensive research I chose to have a band over my bypass and I had surgery May 26, 2006. I paid 15K in cash. I weighed 283lbs. Since then I have had multiple fills to my 11cc band curently I have 9cc in and I am down about 10lbs. SINCE MAY! When I get a fill my band is so tight I can barely get down anything solid. Over the following several weeks it gets a little better. Now I feel restriction (tighter in the morning than at night) but I'm pretty good at night. I think I'm eating much less and certainly smaller meals. I am focused on eating meals and not snacking. I do have approximately 2-3 caloried drinks a week (alcohol). NO ice cream or crunchy Snacks. My real question is...how little to I have to eat to lose weight? Has anyone else out there had a band over bypass. Should I just have them close my stomach off and live on Protein Shakes? I eat lunch each day at work with a great group of girls...At least once a week I have to run from the table because food gets stuck and I have to throw up. Breakfast I have Cereal or egg w/ 1 piece of toast. Lunch 1/2 sandwich and small Soup. dinner a small solid meal. 100 calorie popcorn at night. Any help out there?

How much protien are you getting in a day?

I don't think it's a matter of how little you have to eat a day to lose it's changing your matabolism.

My PCP suggested I eat 5-6 bites every hour of some type of protien of fruit. This is something that I go back and forth with, but you may want to try it since you can't eat much in the morning. He says to still eat lunch and dinner as usual and not to worry about the calories because you are only eating a very small amout.

He also says that by eating this way we are tricking our bodies and retraining them so that they don't think we are starving.

Good luck let me know how it goes for you.

Welcome to LBT!

Every now and then we'll have someone pop in, announcing they've had BOTH surgeries. Not a commen occurance though.

Being SO restricted that only liquid goes through is NOT a way of life.. and usually we gain everything lost - once restriction 'loosens' up. So thats not an answer.

But..

IF you are able to eat a sandwich, then you may not be restricted enough.. ?? Being very tight in the AM is commen. Because of this, most of us start our day with liquids... then as the day progresses, our restriction is less and we are able to eat solids. (Im just commenting on things you said in your OP)

From the foods you listed, I wouldnt say that food is your problem. Looks like the band is doing its job by reducing your food/calorie intake. But -10 pounds since May is discouraging. With that in mind, have you thought about the possiblity of having some type of Thyroid disorder.. maybe seeing that its a medical reason for lack of weightloss?

Hi all,,

Paula, when I read your post something stuck with me. You had said if you are able to eat a whole sandwich you may not have enough restriction. I think that may be the case with me. I had a fill about 3 weeks ago, and I'm losing but very slowly. I can eat a whole wheat sandwich with very little problems. Sometimes the bread gets stuck, but it eventually passes and I finish my sandwich. I don't understand the "restriction" thing. I eat and eventually I just feel full... Pressure and pain around my stomach. I basically can eat anything I want. I just have to eat slowly and chew chew chew.

Is it possible that I may need another fill? I'm eating less than I have ever eaten in my life. I haven't gained weight since the band, but I either stay the same or lose a pound or two in a week.

Let me know your experience. And of course anyone else who would like to comment.

Thanks.

Regards,

If you aren't already, try fitday.com and log in your calories. Do this for a while to get a true reading on your calories in. This may help you. You should be able to eat real foods. Some may give you a bit of problems (bread, steak) but it depends on the person. Too tight of band, you will often end up eating junk and empty calories.

Good luck. Shawn