Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op exercise

At what week did you start exercising? Also, did you phase in your exercise? What did your timeline look like?

I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting this. I have only done walking so far. Last Friday I did the treadmill for 25 minutes and the bike for 20 and i was tired after.

My surgery was December 17th. I am wondering when lifting weights and using the elliptical will be ok.

Mary - are you on a clear liquid diet?

I have no energy even though I would love to start walking. I don't want to shoot off the end of the treadmill.

I was wondering, too. So far I am only walking. I would guess it would be 6-8 weeks for weights since it takes that long for internal stitches to heal.

Mary - are you on a clear liquid diet?

I have no energy even though I would love to start walking. I don't want to shoot off the end of the treadmill.

Annie.....I am on the liquid diet......I can have sugar free Jello and pudding, cream Soups or broth, non-fat yogurts and Protein drinks. My doctor wants me walking and moving often. Some days I am feeling sluggish. Today I felt pretty good and went to the health club and had more energy while exercising.

When was your surgery?

I was sleeved on 12/18 and after a week I was lifting light weights. I was told that was fine as long as they were no more than 3 lbs each. I have not had any pain or problems with them but I was lifting heavier weights before surgery so I'm sure that helps in that respect. I have been feeling a little on the woozy side occasionally and have been too nervous to do the treadmill. I was hoping to start Water aerobics this week-I see my surgeon on wed for followup but I still have 4 of the 7 steri strips on so I don't know if they will clear me for it.

I started seriously walking around 3 weeks and I would walk 2 miles 3 times a week. Once that started to become easy I added on more distance. I will be 3 months post op on the 2nd and I now walk 5K's (3 miles) 3 days a week but in 2013 I plan to really focus on jogging the whole 5K. I also lift weights once a week and my friends wants me to start taking 2 spinning classes with her a week. I'm going to start working out 5 days a week. I would say start slow and slowly increase over time.

I was sleeved on Sept 18th. I started walking 5 days after surgery. I started small and got up to about 5-8 miles a day.

Now I take classes ( muscle conditioning, turbo kick and Piyo -Pilates/yoga) 3 days a week and lift 2 days a week.

I'm going to start cross country skiing if we ever get snow her in Illinois.

Week three of post surgery you can begin lifting weights up to 25lbs. At week six post op you are released (by doc) to full activities.

Hope this helps. This is info given to me by my surgeon. Always check with your surgeon first.

Per my surgeon, no lifting more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. Fat2Fitmom is right - check with your surgeon first.

BTW - I love that title - Fat2FitMom - says it all!