Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am considering having the LapBand procedure done. Currently, I am looking into whether my insurance will cover it. I am 23, and I have been overweight for most of my life. It is currently causing PCOS, high cholesterol, and prediabetes. My family has an extensive history of diabetes and heart disease, so I am certain that I will end up with both if I don't take care of my weight. I have tried many times to lose weight, but it always comes back, plus some. I even tried a medical weight-loss program, but was only able to lose about 15 pounds. Of course, I gained 20 when I went off it. I have a BMI of 37, so I don't know if my insurance will cover it or not. I am hoping they do, because I can't afford it otherwise.

Laurand, I hope your insurance will cover you. I am currently waiting for a surgery date. I want a new life like you. We will all do fine if we stick together and support each other. This site is the best. Keep in touch,:clap2:marcy

Laurand..I too hope your insurance covers it with your health problems so far I would think that would be a plus for coverage....you are young and for you to get hold of the weight now would be so good for you and your health...it took me 46 year till I finally realized I could not do it alone or with just support groups.....I need medical help.......I finally did in August and it is working so well........

again I wish you the best of luck!!! and let us know...

Jenny...

I too am waiting to hear from insurance. I am 39 with significant medical problems and a BMI (coincidentally) of 39. I hope I have no problems with the insurance. You would think they would be tired of the cost of my surgeries, meds, appointments etc... I don't want the procedure until February, so I have plenty of time. I am not in any type of panic mode yet.

I am hoping that they look at my family history and decide that it would be cheaper to pay for surgery now than pay for all the things that are pretty much guaranteed to go wrong if I stay fat.

My mom had to have both knees replaced ($$$) due to the joint being destroyed from excess weight and has been diagnosed with high cholesterol and diabetes. My dad has been diagnosed with high cholesterol and was diagnosed with diabetes (and then told he didn't have it, so who knows). My mom's father had diabetes and died of a heart attack at a relatively young age. Her mother had diabetes and may have died of heart failure. My dad's father had a triple bypass and I am pretty sure he died of heart failure (I think he also had diabetes). His brother also had a triple bypass a couple of years ago. His mother had diabetes and several other things wrong. I am also certain that there is diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol among other family members.

So when you look at that, I would think they would decide that me getting a lap-band before something really bad happens would be a good idea. But you never know with insurance companies.