Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone

Ive just found this site and am interested in hearing everyone's experience's.

I am in Sydney Australia and am wanting to have the lap band done but ofcourse its a really scary decision isnt it????

Could some of you please share your experiences up to and including your surgery and was it worth it would you do it again?

Im 49 and really am sick of the yo yo of being fat. There is a thin me wanting to come out.

Looking foward to hearing from you all

Cheers Ruth

Hi Ruth -

My story is long, and doesn't have a happy ending (as far as the band), but I absolutely LOVED my band, and have no regrets.

The vast majority of people have no major problems with their bands. I think being banded has been the easiest, most painless way I have ever lost weight - for the first time in my life, I felt "normal" about food.

There are risks, of course, and I fell into the 1-3% who experience erosion, which meant I had to have my band removed. So although that really DOES happen, it doesn't happen to very many people.

You do have to be emotionally ready to change your relationship with food - the band helps you to change the relationship, but you have to let it help you, and you have to change your thinking about what food means in your life. You also have to make a conscious effort to eat more nutritiously. Again, the band somehow makes that easier for most people.

Being banded was a wonderful experience, and I highly recommend it!!

http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2256

http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2288

http://lapbandtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2406

Hi Ruth,

I have been banded just over 8 weeks and would do it again in a minute. I worry about having the erosion problems that Donali had but statistically it is unlikely. If I did have a major problem they could at least remove and reverse it, where other forms of weight loss surgery makes that impossible. If you had it done, would it be done in your home town? For us Mexico patients sometimes finding aftercare can be difficult in the U.S. Make sure you have all of that lined up before surgery if you are going out of area. My insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the procedure but I made sure they would cover the cost of any emergencies. I thought that was another important aspect to have figured out before surgery.

As Donali said, all surgery has risks but compared to most surgeries I thought it was much easier healing wise and the overall length of the operation was much shorter. When I weighed last week I was down a total of 35.5 lbs lost. Like Donali said for some reason following the rules for this procedure are much easier than any other diet. You will have to give up soda (most likely) and most people can't handle bread either but for me that has been no problem. Don't get me wrong because I loved and ate a lot of both of those items before the band but now hardly give them any thought at all. Good luck on your decision, Teresa

Ruth..

I was banded exactly 3 months ago today and I have no regrets. I have lost 33 pounds. The band is the best decision I have ever made. I woulds do it all over again in a second!

I highly reccomend it too...

Ruthy: I am so glad that you decided to come and visit. Hope you get the answers you need. You have read my story on my website and you know how I feel about the LAP BAND. I love my little friend and it has made me not only lose weight but to be more responsible in other aspects of my life. I am being more honest with myself these days as well. So it has many benefits.

Michelle: Happy Shared Anniversary!! I had forgotten that today would make it 3 months banded for me too. I have lost 40 lbs so far.

Ruthy: This is the best site for support or to have your questions answered. Visit often and post often as well. Lots of nice people here.

Congratulations Penni..where you banded on the 6 of April too?

40 pounds is awesome..keep up the good work girl! Don't you just love your band? I love mine.. today is a great day!

Ruthy I agree with Penni...this is the most friendliest site.. I love this place not only is it friendly it is knowledgable..supportive and we got some crazy funny members here too. You will be sure to get a good laugh along with tons of support!

Hi Ruthy,

I am newly banded(June 27th) and already lost 5 kg. I feel fine,haven't been sick once and am already eating solid food.I am advised this is unusual and I should be careful but I puree the food by chewing instead of approaching it pureed which I couldn't face.

I believe you have a lot of banding done in Oz and are very advanced in it so you should be in safe hands!

My sister lives in Sydney and I was there and in Melbourne 18 months ago,what a beautiful place to live!

Good luck!

Hi everyone and thanks for your reply's.

In Sydney there are very experienced doctors and some even do it free if you have medical insurance but i am thinking of having a dr Ritchie do it as he does the band and the surgery for weight loss and out of pocket costs are about $3000 plus ofcourse your medical insurance and I took this out 12 months ago as i have been considering this op for this long, but i think out of that $3000 I can probably claim some of that back through the insurance and yes we can get this op done in our home town by many experienced surgeons but it comes to choice and i think the cost doensnt matter id rather pay for the expericence.

Cant the band stay in forever if no complications and im surprised that so many have had weight losses and huge without any fills i thought you needed these to lose??

do you feel full without them?? and why do you all think some people have great success and I know a girl I work with and she was banded last october and has only lost 12 kilos about 20 pounds.

is it easy not to eat your usual way??

thanks all

Ruthy

Hello,

Yes the band can stay in forever if you don't have any complications. There are a few of us that haven't had a fill yet. Personally I am just waiting to plateau before I get one. Why pay for one unneccessarily. For some reason it is a lot easier for me to follow all of the rules with the band. I suddenly am a very avid calorie counter, Water drinker, and less of a snacker. You do get full easier. I know some people with fills eat a LOT less than I do but as long as I keep losing I am happy with what I am eating. I average about 1200-1500 calories everyday. I don't know why some people lose longer than others prefill. The girl that got banded the same day as me has only lost 18 lbs prefill while I have managed 35.5 and still counting (hopefully- I weigh in tomorrow). I remember from past weight watchers experience that you had to stick with small meal portions and stay within your points. With the band it is easy to do that. You have to be WILLING to work at it though. It is easier than regular dieting but it doesn't just fall off either. Best of luck to you, Teresa