Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At 3 weeks out, how many calories should I be consuming?

That's up to your Dr and NUT, however, over time most on here tend to be in 800-1100/day range.. If still on liquids, likely 600-900

Even so early on? Wow. My concern is that my intake isn't high enough

At 3 weeks out I couldn't get in more than 300-400. Now at a year I do about 900 calories.

Everyone is diff and also depends upon your goal. The shakes/liquid diet tend to give you 800/day and also all your Protein. Follow your doc and nut plan and you'll be fine.

At 3 weeks out I couldn't get in more than 300-400. Now at a year I do about 900 calories.

Okay, that comforts me a bit. What's your weight loss been like? Just wondering :) thanks for the help

Okay, that comforts me a bit. What's your weight loss been like? Just wondering :) thanks for the help

Hey, I have lost 100 lbs since surgery. I lost 21 my first month and then 8 lbs a month until the 6th month. Since, I have been losing 3-5 lbs monthly. The weight loss has slowed but it's to be expected. Just do what your dr and nut said. You should be fine. Message me whenever you want. :)

I heard it should be between 500-900 calories, depending on you! The most important thing is to get over 60g of Protein in a day, and your Water. Start there :)

@ JohnSmith, I respectfully disagree that she should be having raw fruits or veggies 3 weeks post op. The only exercize she should be doing is walking, if tolerated, until 6 weeks post-op, or cleared by a physician. Raw veggies are not advised really at all...unless in juice/pureed form until at least 6 weeks, and honestly, I am 4 weeks out and haven't intro'd a lot of veg as I am still having a hard time tolerating it. She could damage her stomach eating a raw carrot at this point, so I have read...

I think this is very different per person and habits - for instance I'm 4 weeks post and get between 900-1200 calories a day. I just saw my surgeon today and he was fine with this (although what my NUT will say tomorrow is another issue)...

For me, it was because I did better eating a smaller meal every 2-3 hours than the normal 3 meals + 1 snack that my NUT suggested - however on very long days this meant lots of calories.

So the point is, don't feel like if you are eating 600 or 700 you are overeating. Talk to your doctor and nutritionist, if they're happy you are fine.

I don't worry about my calories so much as getting in what I need to - Protein. I find that by the time I eat all my protein I've had about 500-700 calories and I don't really get hungry much because I eat about 5 times a day. If I just want to snack, I try to make it something "good". Lately I've been on a pickle and greens kick, though I wouldn't do that 3 weeks out.