Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got home from my decision visit. My surgeon tried soooo hard to convince me to sell my soul to the bypass("You'll never make under 200 pounds with the sleeve"/"You'll only lose 75-100 pounds"/"Bypass gives you reasons to not eat poorly or overeat, the sleeve doesn't" ), but I stuck to my guns. The decision has been made, but I don't know... He definitely planted a tiny, nagging seed of doubt in the back of my mind. Now I picture myself six months from now and still fat. I'm kind of running a reoccurring nightmare scene in my head right now, I get surgery and I lose little to no weight. Anybody else experience this? I was so sure before he walked in that room. I know I tend to be a little indecisive about trivial things, like dinner and what to wear but not this. I'm rambling, I know. Ugh. I guess the sleeve is only as successful as I make it. No one has gotten this surgery, ate correctly,and exercised only to fail. Right?

I'd stick with the sleeve, studies have shown it gives the same results as the bypass if used correctly. Also, if you happen to not lose the weight you want, you can always have it switched to the duodonel switch, which is the end all of WLS. Although I doubt you'll need to go that far. You will do great!

Our stats are similar (I was 319 lbs pre-op and I am approx. 5'4"). I have lost 104 lbs in 7 months and I'm still dropping. I just went through a 3 week stall, but the weight loss has started again and I'm just "keeping on". My goal weight is 135 lbs and I have NO DOUBT I will make that goal.

You will over time change many things about your lifestyle (if you're committed to making and staying at goal). Mostly because it just feels right! Eating healthy (Protein first, veg next and carbs last, if there's room!), exercising (it will become a great habit and you'll miss it if you don't get your workouts in!), not needing most or all of your meds any more, fitting into "normal" clothing and being able to shop wherever you want (and finding your size on the rack!).

Your surgeon is probably quoting "average" statistics to help moderate your expectations (and perhaps even lessen the chances of you blaming him if you're not successful, by making you shoot for an easier target!). He/she is quoting the generally accepted medical average loss for ALL VSG patients. So that includes the ones who were non-compliant with their post-op diets, didn't exercise and did not follow post-op instructions, etc.

I don't think there is any reason why someone who is generally healthy, follows the post-op diet and exercises can't lose 100% of the excess weight they wish to lose. It just takes discipline, sweat and focus.

All without messing with your intestines, having to take supplements for the rest of your life and possibly experiencing dumping syndrome, etc. I like my Pylorus valve where it is, thank you very much! And I WANT to absorb all my nutrition.

That being said, each decision is highly personal and everyone is entitled to their choice and opinion. If you've done the research and feel comfortable with your decision to do the sleeve rather than the by-pass, don't let generic stats (even from your surgeon) dissuade you! If there are other health reasons he has for thinking you would benefit more from the bypass, have him explain it in detail, then reaffirm your choice and move forward!

I just read on here I women who lose 200 pounds go to thread and look up 200 pounds lose and she even has a blog

I have always been one to err on the side of caution. The malabsorption aspect of bypass is nothing to fool around with, ESPECIALLY if you don't actually NEED IT. My thought is if you find after a few years that you can't get down more with the sleeve, you can always opt to make it a full Duadenal Switch.

I think he just shook my confidence a little bit. He was selling the bypass like a used car and I started to fall for it. I experienced the bypass and the complications involved when my mom had surgery. Not to mention she's 3 years out and only lost and kept off around 70 pounds and she had less to lose than I do. I know the bypass is not for me but he just stirred up an irrational fear. Maybe he is just low-balling his estimates to err on the side of safety. I just need to focus on what I want and work hard. THANKS! :D

I guess the sleeve is only as successful as I make it. No one has gotten this surgery, ate correctly,and exercised only to fail. Right?

This is exactly correct. The great thing about the sleeve it the tool is always there ready for you to use. I am 17+ months out and I still have great restriction. I know that I can drop any weight I gain over the holidays by following the guidelines. My restriction will always be there. I control food now, not the other way around.

My surgeon was the other way around: I was ready for the RNY and he sold me the sleeve. He told me that unless you have certain comorbities that the RNY would take care of (such as diabetes, the sleeve should be fine. Plus RNY signs you up for a lifetime of must take Vitamins. Sleeve is like 1 day use contact lenses: you can leave them in for a few days and still be okay but in the long run you would want them out. You can miss a few days of vitamins here and there but in the long run you would need all the vitamins

Some people like the "aversion therapy" aspect that comes with the RNY. many people can't tolerate fatty foods or sweets, which makes it easier to eat right. I personally have worked hard over the past few years to improve my eating habits and I trust myself to eat right without the forced restrictions.