Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

exercise and sleepiness

I have been running about 45 minutes 2x a week and doing weight lifting 3x a week for about 30 minutes in each session.

Been doing this for the past couple weeks or so. The problem is I have been getting really tired in the afternoon, sleepy in fact where I cannot keep my eyes open. Last night, it hit me around 4:30 pm and struggled with it until going to bed at 8:30 pm ( early for me). I woke up at 3am and felt much better. This morning I feel pretty good with energy levels at decent levels.

Am i working out too often or am I lacking in calories throughout the day?

I am probably still eating around 800-900 calories a day, mostly Protein. Carbs are under 30. Low fat. I do not eat starches or much vegetables (depend on my supplements for nutrients). I eat every 3 hours about 125 calories (3-4 oz of protein).

I have been running about 45 minutes 2x a week and doing weight lifting 3x a week for about 30 minutes in each session.

Been doing this for the past couple weeks or so. The problem is I have been getting really tired in the afternoon' date=' sleepy in fact where I cannot keep my eyes open. Last night, it hit me around 4:30 pm and struggled with it until going to bed at 8:30 pm ( early for me). I woke up at 3am and felt much better. This morning I feel pretty good with energy levels at decent levels.

I am probably still eating around 800-900 calories a day, mostly Protein. Carbs are under 30. Low fat. I do not eat starches or much vegetables (depend on my supplements for nutrients). I eat every 3 hours about 125 calories (3-4 oz of protein).[/quote']

I don't think it is that you are working out too often - I think it has been a number of months since surgery, true? If it were the first 2-3 months it would make more sense. I am 7 months out, work out usually 2 hours per day - once in the morning and again in the evening, cardio or strength depending on session. I know BTB works out quite a bit too.

The difference may well be the carbs. As you work out more you need to add some healthy carbs to get you through your workout and keep you from crashing. I have heard various explanations about when to consume them - two hours before exercise is what I settled on, you should research for yourself. It is worth a try if you are working out hard and having these crashes. Maybe a mini Cliff bar - they are 100 cal and I think less than 20 carbs. I think adding a bit of carbs and also upping your calories a bit is worth a try.

Also, you may have some medical reason that this is happening. If dietary changes don't make a difference and it doesn't resolve, your PCP might have some ideas!

Been doing this for the past couple weeks or so. The problem is I have been getting really tired in the afternoon' date=' sleepy in fact where I cannot keep my eyes open. Last night, it hit me around 4:30 pm and struggled with it until going to bed at 8:30 pm ( early for me). I woke up at 3am and felt much better. This morning I feel pretty good with energy levels at decent levels.

I am probably still eating around 800-900 calories a day, mostly Protein. Carbs are under 30. Low fat. I do not eat starches or much vegetables (depend on my supplements for nutrients). I eat every 3 hours about 125 calories (3-4 oz of protein).[/quote']

My first thought was blood sugar issues, I know you are eating consistently but are you accounting for your increase in activity with an increase in fuel? If so then another likely culprit is low testosterone. How old are you? If you are mid 30's or beyond this can sneak up on you and it can be exaggerated by the fact that you are losing fat AND working out. It's easy to get checked and it's an easy fix. Usually a daily cream or maybe a bimonthly shot.

I really don't exercise like I need to. But I'm waking up in the morning lightheaded with a small HA. At first I thought I was dehydrated and so I have increased my Fluid intake to about 70 oz a day. I eat about 1200 calories a day, mostly Protein with few carbs. Does anyone experience this too? Or do you have any ideas what it's caused from? I am making an appointment with my PCP. Really would appreciate any feedback. Thanks! Happy Holidays! :)

My first thought was blood sugar issues' date=' I know you are eating consistently but are you accounting for your increase in activity with an increase in fuel? If so then another likely culprit is low testosterone. How old are you? If you are mid 30's or beyond this can sneak up on you and it can be exaggerated by the fact that you are losing fat AND working out. It's easy to get checked and it's an easy fix. Usually a daily cream or maybe a bimonthly shot.[/quote']

I am 38 and do not have low T levels according to blood tests and some other male-based tests from about 8 months ago. My calories are on the low side ( I think) and are around 800 on average. I do not eat carbs that are not already part of a high Protein low carb offering. My calorie levels have not adjusted much from 4 months ago when I started solids, about 100-200 calories from sleeve being able to hold more. Eating this way has helped me lose weight (150 in 5 months) and I do not feel derived. Well, not 100% true as I have had some small temptations after month 4 ( do not give in though because urges are really weak). I have considered some of those T enhancement products just to boost energy levels and sex drive. However, I have stayed away from them because of perceived side effects and/or quack level. Seriously, there are always lots of miracle products out there that are no more than snake oil. What are your thoughts on these points?

I took t-booster and nitrous oxide for months nothing but gains

On Amazon, which t-booster do you recommend?

I am 38 and do not have low T levels according to blood tests and some other male-based tests from about 8 months ago. My calories are on the low side ( I think) and are around 800 on average. I do not eat carbs that are not already part of a high Protein low carb offering. My calorie levels have not adjusted much from 4 months ago when I started solids' date=' about 100-200 calories from sleeve being able to hold more. Eating this way has helped me lose weight (150 in 5 months) and I do not feel derived. Well, not 100% true as I have had some small temptations after month 4 ( do not give in though because urges are really weak). I have considered some of those T enhancement products just to boost energy levels and sex drive. However, I have stayed away from them because of perceived side effects and/or quack level. Seriously, there are always lots of miracle products out there that are no more than snake oil. What are your thoughts on these points?[/quote']

I am sorry it is not accurate that I have lost 150 lb in 5 months. I have lost 130 lb in about 5.5 months and 150 lb from my highest weight 6.5 months ago.

My diet changed started around 6.5 months ago when I started to be careful about food. Not eating low carb at that time, but was not eating sugary, salty or starchy food starting at that time. Once I was cleared for solids 6 weeks after surgery, I modified my diet to be high Protein, low carb, low fat as compared to the month before surgery.

Now it seems I need to change it again in order to get enough energy to run. I will consider eating more calories and some good carbs. Do others have an idea of low glycemic good carbs that have worked for them?

Now it seems I need to change it again in order to get enough energy to run. I will consider eating more calories and some good carbs. Do others have an idea of low glycemic good carbs that have worked for them?

You pretty much touched on what I was going to say. I noticed a few months ago I was doing something strange...I was eating to lose weight but working out to increase fitness performance. These 2 goals are, in some ways, in conflict with each other...primarily nutritionally. You can burn fat for fuel, but it will not provide the building blocks to repair and regenerate damaged tissue from excessive physical exertion. I had to decide if I wanted to focus on fat loss or improved fitness and adjust accordingly. In the end, I decided to try to meet in the middle...adding in some carbs and calories, and toning down the intensity of some of my workouts (but upping the duration). I could not stand the thought of any more red meat or chicken, so I have tried to add more fish to my diet. I also eat more green salads and asparagus for the carbs. Oven roasted asparagus is like eating green french fries. It's yummy.

I've talked to a couple of sleevers who focus on long endurance training and they both told me the same thing, you have to eat more carbs to have the energy to train to that level.

You pretty much touched on what I was going to say. I noticed a few months ago I was doing something strange...I was eating to lose weight but working out to increase fitness performance. These 2 goals are' date=' in some ways, in conflict with each other...primarily nutritionally. You can burn fat for fuel, but it will not provide the building blocks to repair and regenerate damaged tissue from excessive physical exertion. I had to decide if I wanted to focus on fat loss or improved fitness and adjust accordingly. In the end, I decided to try to meet in the middle...adding in some carbs and calories, and toning down the intensity of some of my workouts (but upping the duration). I could not stand the thought of any more red meat or chicken, so I have tried to add more fish to my diet. I also eat more green salads and asparagus for the carbs. Oven roasted asparagus is like eating green french fries. It's yummy.

I've talked to a couple of sleevers who focus on long endurance training and they both told me the same thing, you have to eat more carbs to have the energy to train to that level.[/quote']

Thanks for your perspective. It means quite a bit.

I knew how to exercise hardcore with the best of them, but I did not know how to eat. I would exercise hard for 3 hours a day, but my weight either plateaued or it was really hard to maintain no matter how much I worked out. My blood pressure was 120 over 80 and my resting heart rate was 50. I was fairly healthy from a medical perspective, but mentally I was going crazy with the crazy roller coaster that comes from a bad diet of starchy or sugary carbs all the time. I did not take enough Vitamins to subsidize the lack of nutrients in my food choices.

I pretty much got fed up killing myself and losing so much time to exercising. I was not getting any results because my diet was not right so I stopped exercising as much after getting burned out. However, I was eating too much and not the right foods to counter the lack of hardcore exercise. I continued eating the same very large quantities, both good and bad food choices. I did not know how to make the right food choices because I was not exercising enough to keep up with the food quantities. Fast forward a few years of this and my weight shot up to the point where I needed the sleeve to help get my eating back under control and my comorbidities into remission so I could get my weight from morbid obesity ( leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but is true) back to just overweight levels. In reality, the sleeve has helped me get beyond just being overweight and much closer to my ideal weight (according to BMI and fat percentages). This is exciting and has made me a much more interesting person due to increased confidence which comes naturally and is not forced in any way.

Now that I am down again to a good weight by eating nutritionally and exercising moderately (only started to really increase exercise 2 weeks ago), I need to find balance between eating and exercising in order to maintain by increasing good carbs. It is definitely a growth experience and, this is important as explained with my back story, I could not have gotten my eating habits under control without the sleeve because my natural will power has limits after a while. The 6 months of really being restricted has given me adequate time to build solid eating habits. These eating habits are now a part of me at the unconscious level. I do not have to think about making good choices and food temptations are a facet of my past. Giving yourself time to build good eating habits is probably the single most important lesson I have learned from being sleeved. I would like to share this with those making the decision to be sleeved and those that have already made the decision.

In summary:

There needs to be a good balance between diet and exercise, but i never would have gotten to my current success without the good habits formed from the sleeve whether it took 5 months or 1.5 years.

...... I could not have gotten my eating habits under control without the sleeve because my natural will power has limits after a while. The 6 months of really being restricted has given me adequate time to build solid eating habits. These eating habits are now a part of me at the unconscious level. I do not have to think about making good choices and food temptations are a facet of my past. Giving yourself time to build good eating habits is probably the single most important lesson I have learned from being sleeved. I would like to share this with those making the decision to be sleeved and those that have already made the decision.

In summary:

There needs to be a good balance between diet and exercise, but i never would have gotten to my current success without the good habits formed from the sleeve whether it took 5 months or 1.5 years.

Man I could have written this myself. I've read many a post here where someone said something like "if I had that kind of will power I wouldn't have needed surgery." Well, none of us had it. But during those first few months you can learn new behaviors that will stick with you the rest of your life. It doesn't really take will power initially, just the effort. The honeymoon phase makes it easier. By the time that's over with, the new behaviors should be ingrained enough that you can carry on with a new lifestyle, free from food obsessions.

Since this thread is discussing the impact of diet on hardcore exercising, I thought I would ask about "the Sonoma diet." Before anyone gets on me with " it's another diet", etc, I am actually looking for a structured eating plan that is wholesome and will help me maintain my current weight for the rest of my life. Yes, I can now make good food choices and have fairly decent will power. Yet I am always learning and would like feedback from others on this particular plan as a means to maintain for long term.